UF moves back into US News Top 50

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by StrangeGator, Sep 10, 2013.

1. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Don't recall what last year's ranking was, but I know we've been hanging just outside the top 50 for a few years. Now we're back in at #49, which is great. Some students actually draw a line at 50 and don't consider any schools ranked lower than that. f$u is all the way up to #91, a number they can actually count to.

My daughter emailed me the new rankings at the crack of dawn. BU jumped from #50 to #41. I was going to tell her that it doesn't really mean anything, but I noticed that they are now tied with the University of Wisconsin, the school she almost chose over BU. They also jumped Texas, who turned her down. I'll let her enjoy the redemption.

Hope UF can keep this momentum going. Strong sciences, engineering and undergraduate research opportunities seem to be the trend for schools moving ahead. UF seems to be strong in those areas. Journalism and health sciences are always strong at UF and keep getting better. Go Gators.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Wuerffel5220

Wuerffel5220 GC Hall of Famer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,813
    As a BU alum for undergrad, I am excited for the move up to 41. BU has been getting more name recognition recently and they joined the AAU in 2012 as well, so exciting things in the academia community. Tell her to ignore that Tufts, BC and Brandeis are both ranked higher...

Also love UF at 49 and my other school Vandy at 17.

Always to see how many UC schools end up in the top 50

Here's the list
    http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/spp 50

You'll have to go to page 2 for UF, even though page 1 is 50 schools, we're tied for 49th and the schools right behind are tied at 52nd
  3. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +669
    Somebody needs to enlighten that fat-mouth OH St. prez.
  4. Wuerffel5220

Wuerffel5220 GC Hall of Famer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,813
    He officially retired on July 1 after the football scandal. He got a 5.8 million dollar severance package. He was the Pres at Vanderbilt before Ohio St
  5. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,625
    Miami at #47?!?!
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,079
    Embarrassing, huh?
    Da "U" gives out more PhD's than we do.
    Maybe we should give away degrees too.
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    She doesn't care about Brandeis or Tufts, but BU has a real complex about BC. She never BC since they don't have a film program, but hating on BC seems to be part of the university culture. FWIW, BU is ranked much higher in global rankings.

You are among a very select group of Gators who attended both BU and UF. The other two that I know of are Adele Graham and Faye Dunaway. Adele followed Bob to Boston when he began law school at Harvard and completed her education degree at BU before teaching in the Wellsley area. She was named teacher of the year in Mass after just one year on the job. Faye transferred to BU to better position herself for an acting career.
  8. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132
    Did you notice that Northeastern also jumped into the top 50? Always thought that school was underrated. That's seven schools in one city, not even counting Wellsley which would probably be third behind Harvard if US News ranked liberal arts schools with national universities.