UF moved up in this year's US News Rankings

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by oragator1, Sep 9, 2013.

1. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    :grin: Neisgator, No kicking thread here. I'm retired, living the good life right on the beautiful Mediterranean.

Lincoln...first degree (aerospace/ aeronautical engineering) didn't cost me a thing (scholarship). Second one (architecture), wasn't bad back in the day. The cost of education today is absurd. The quality today.............. is outrageous. I can't believe how poorly trained most of the MBA's I've hired. It took me 4 years on the average to re-train them. Awful.

The kids here in Europe just getting out of high school are light years ahead of U.S. high school graduates. Their math and science skills are far superior. Their language skills ? High school grads here speak and read at least 2 different languages fluently. Most speak and read 3 or 4 different languages.
  2. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    Always knew Vandy was the smart school of the SEC
  3. dallasgatr

dallasgatr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,304
    I agree with the academic prowess of the average Euro. But as one who spends much of my working life in the old country they have one huge problem. Generally speaking their work ethic pales in comparison to Americans. Smoke breaks and "holiday" take a big priority over work. Work actions are frequent and firing someone is about as easy as firing a US Government worker. Of course they usually plan their strikes during "holiday" season so those 2 kind of cancel each other out.....
  4. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Considering that the first 20 schools on the national list are all private, and that by my quick count only 11 other public schools made the top 50, 49 is better than it might seem at first glance.
  5. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +375
    These rankings have more to do with classroom population/size and thus there is a bias toward smaller schools. However, those surviving and navigating a larger school are perhaps better prepared for the real world. No way for UF to reduce class sizes for freshman classes.

Miami is actually 47th or 48th in the rankings, and UF is actually 49, 50, or 51st. If looking at national merit scholars, SAT scores of incoming freshman, publishing/research, endowment, ..., number of courses and degrees offered, UF blows away UM.
  6. neisgator

neisgator Belligerent Gator

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Curious as to what our ranking was in 1993, my first year there....
    Just looked up some numbers...In 96, we were 47...
    UF is WAY more of a nerd school now than 17 years ago...We should have moved up 10 notches by now...
  7. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    state funding dropped
  8. kellgator

kellgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    We dropped almost 15 spots over the last 5 or 6 years due to budget cuts and subsequent faculty layoffs. Funding is just now starting to come back so our student/faculty ratio will improve steadily over the next few years and our ranking will improve back down into the low 40's. Hopefully we'll reach our goal of being a top 10 public university in the next 5 years, which should put us into the top 40 overall. Short of tripling our tuition to match the California schools, top 40 is about as high as we can climb.
  9. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    dallasgatr,

The people here in Europe I know that work put in 14 to 16 hours per day. The avg. monthly wage is 600 euro ($780.00 USD).

I owned several businesses in the U.S. before I retired. One of those businesses employed over 220 employees. Many of those employee's work ethic left a lot to be desired. Not to mention how badly the skill levels have dropped in the past 30 years. I'm glad I retired and don't have to deal with those problems anymore.

Manufacturing which was our strong point in the U.S. is now in big trouble. It's a shame what has happened. However, that's a problem for the next generation to solve. I don't envy them.
  10. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Anybody know the acceptance rates? How many applied to UF last year vs. how many got in, and same for UM?

Just curious.

Sorry for using Swamp Gas as my personal Google lol
  11. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    For the 2010-2011 academic year:

UF - 26,512 applicants, 11,459 acceptances (43% acceptance rate)
    UM - 25,899 applicants, 10,157 acceptances (39.2% acceptance rate)
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +463
    Miami sure accepts a lot to get their enrollment numbers if they're only 1300 shy of the number UF accepts.
  13. CoachR

CoachR Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    UM is a small school and always will be. When I was there, which I'll admit was a looooong time ago the student population was 15K. Today it still is.

What really surprised me was FIU has almost 60K student enrollment plus a school for architecture. My ex-wife was the first graduating class from that school. They have come a long way and I've gotten old (geez).
  14. wetry

wetry New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Both schools UM and UF are great in all areas..
    Be glad kids are getting educations its going to be rough out there either way..

as for the Europe guy and his wonderful workforce...

People still die everyday trying to get into our country not so much over there..
  15. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    Hmm. That's confusing to me. It's been a long time since I dealt with college admissions, can somebody "educate" me on this?

How can UM accept over 10,000 freshmen when their whole undergraduate student body is only about 10,000?

Is it because a lot of Northeastern rich kids apply to UM as a safety school and then decline to enroll if a higher-ranked private school takes them? Whereas UF applicants are more likely to regard UF as their first choice?
  16. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    Well you never interviewed the half I have or interviewed me. I have had employees from Brown, Darthmouth, Yale, Princeton, and Cornell. Only 1 employee of an Ivy dissapointed me. They far out-performed graduates of most anywhere else except Stanford. I have also had some star employees from small liberal arts schools such as Huntingdon, Birmingham Southern, Vassar, and Williams. Some of the most dud employees I have had are from Miami (I had some good ones also), FSU, UNF, UCF, USF, USA, Spring Hill, Alabama, Auburn, and Stetson. They had great credentials too. When I ran a firm in Gainesville, I had some great and not so great from UF. The point? You get a mix from everywhere, but you have a greater chance of success if you recruit successful graduates of rigorous schools such as the Ivy schools. You cannot be successful at those schools without initiative. As a Princeton Tiger, I know that first hand.

Did you look beyond the degree and school name? Did you look for their campus involvement and leadership? Did you look at their transcript for course selection and grades? Did you verify they had accurate resumes and indeed graduated from said school(s)? Did you have the breakdown of their ACT/SAT/GRE scores to quantify their strengths and weaknesses? Did you check references?
  17. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +579
    I was briefly tempted to get excited about Princeton being #1 again. But, then I remembered which rankings these are. This publication's rankings are BS. The criterion are not the best to rank a college. These rankings sell magazines and create a general poplulation impression. They are no more valuable than the AP poll in July.

But, whoever said Alabama does not have good academics has never worked in higher education circles. Bama has a lot going for it besides football and nice buildings and hot southern chicks.
  18. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    95 % of recruits want to know the school's NFL numbers. Today's players could care less where the school is ranked academically. In fact, I really don't give a rats azz either and I graduated from UF.