UF-KU Postgame Thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorMcCluskey, Dec 11, 2013.

1. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +115
    What a huge win for us - we still need to handle our business going forward (and I have every confidence that we'll do that), but this one is going to really help cement our status as a top team come tourney time. Great atmosphere in the O'Connell Center and great effort from the team overall.

Wilbekin was awesome for us getting buckets when we needed them down the stretch. I sometimes get a little upset at Scottie for overdribbling while looking to penetrate so much, but hey, what he does usually works. He just wouldn't be denied taking the ball inside last night - his hesitation dribble, head fakes and pump fakes when he gets in the paint are top notch, and he does a great job of keeping his head up in deep and finding teammates. He's one of the better guards I've seen in terms of creating interior passes off the dribble.

DFS didn't shoot well overall, but he was great from outside and made a liar out of me, for this game at least, in regards to my worries about 3pt shooting on a night when Frazier was a non-factor. Hope he builds on that hot streak - when he's on like that it gives our offense a whole new dimension.

That 1-3-1 was devastating in the first half - with Prather up top and our size on the wings it really shuts down a lot of passing lanes. To play that zone, you have to have your guy on the baseline stay active to front the post and shut down the corners - I thought Scottie did an excellent job defensively there.

Wiggins was incredible down the stretch - that kid is special. Vitale is a pain in the ass with his commentary, but he was right on saying that Kansas should have gotten Wiggins the ball more - I'm glad they didn't, it was bad enough watching him go ham over the last five minutes. That fast break drive he had in the first half where he dribbled into the up and over move into a finger roll through two or three of our guys was absolutely sick - that was a bigtime play and he made it look as easy as a layup drill. Embiid, on the other hand, still needs a lot of work imo to justify his hype - the size and athleticism are there, and he had a couple nice blocks, but I think he's just as likely to be Desagana Diop as Dikembe Mutombo. Long season, though, so he's got a lot of time to continue improving, and he'd still get drafted high right now regardless. It's a gamble, but a gamble that a lot of GMs would probably take.

lots of positives last night so I won't keep talking about all of those because I could write a novel. My only two quibbles with that performance are:

1) gotta continue getting better at FTs down the stretch - both our starting big men are liabilities at the line in the crunch (although WY was doing better this year up to last night) and both our PGs are a little shaky there as well. Prather did a hell of a job there though, I would have given him a game ball for that if I was Billy.
    2) we need to do a better job of getting Frazier shots - KU played him tough, but they weren't faceguarding him all over the court the way UConn did, and he still only got four shots (two 3pt attempts) in 25 minutes. When you have a guy shooting over 50% from deep on high volume, you have to do better than that getting him involved. He needs to have at least 8-10 attempts per game, imo.

but honestly that stuff is window dressing for the most part - we just beat one of the top teams in the country, and it wasn't really as close as the final score would indicate. Guys are getting healthy, Walker should be joining the team soon - the future looks bright!
    • Like Like x 1
  2. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +910
    being 6'10 and athletic with a huge wing-span......Walker is going to be a HUGE asset to both the 1-3-1 zone and our full court press packages.
  3. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +930
    Great stuff.

I agree about Wilbekin's effectiveness on the dribble drive. In his first game back, he was rusty and made a lot of mistakes going into the paint. This game, he made great decisions, so it's good to see him getting back in his groove.

I am a little more down on our team as a whole. The stat of this game was turnovers. Kansas had 26 turnovers, and while our excellent defense had something to do with it, Kansas was simply incompetent in running their half court in the first half. Meanwhile, we shot terribly - only 37% from the floor and 31% from inside the arc. We were outrebounded 40-30. And, our FT shooting was so bad it nearly costed us the game by itself.

There is a lot we still need to work on, and I'm not sure we win last night if Bill Self had been at all competent in teaching his team how to attack the 1-3-1 zone.
  4. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    The rebounding disparity is very deceiving IMO.
    We simply punked them in the first half, and we didn't get more because of turnovers.
  5. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,719
    I wasn't nearly as concerned about the rebounding edge as I was the free throws. Guys have got to try to improve in that dept.
  6. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180
    I agree about Frazier. This team needs to learn how to get him shots similar to how the 04's got Lee Humphrey shots. If they can learn to do this, we will be a much more balanced team.

It was the first game back with Wilbekin and Hill and I think we will see them play more together as the season goes on.

I think our terrible ft shooting offset some of Kansas' s to's so there is a lot to be happy about last night. This is an area that has to be cleaned up and might involve putting PY & WY on the bench late in games. If Walker can shoot ft's, he may have to be in these late game situations with SW, KH, Frazier and Prather.
  7. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +115
    thanks Gotham. I think we got a little complacent in the second half with that big lead and allowed them to start outhustling us. A lot of those 50-50 balls and rebounds that went our way in the first half due to effort went their way in the second. That, combined with Wiggins going off from 3 over the last few minutes, is a big part of the reason they were able to claw back into the game a little bit. Like you said, we also opened the door for them on our own with poor FT shooting.

the 1-3-1 is great for creating mayhem and turnovers, but it's really bad for defensive rebound positioning. KU was able to extend several second half possessions against it because our bigs are usually pretty far up the floor when shots go up. That was an issue against UConn too on their next-to-last possession where they were able to get several shots.
  8. JBSouthpaw

JBSouthpaw Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I think there is still some hesitancy in some of the guys willingness to shoot. Our shooters in the past never showed that. (I thought DFS made strides towards this in the 1st half)
    I would like to see Casey start shooting the 3, I think teams are just sagging on him knowing he wants to drive.
  9. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    To be fair, we aren't shooting that poorly most games. It's kind of Kansas was lucky we didn't absolutely blow them out too. We aren't going to shoot 37 percent very often.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,209
    I am sort of there with you. I was talking to a friend at halftime and told him that I thought we were terrible offensively in the first half. The turnovers and threes made the score look deceiving, but we struggled converting in the paint, took some bad early shots, and did not get points in transition. It was the same way in the second half, only Kansas cut down on the turnovers and it allowed them to make it competitive.

As I said in another thread, I think the offensive problems right now are attributable to a lack of depth and lineup combinations. Devon Walker still wasn't ready to play and Kurtz was too outmanned by Kansas's bigs to play much, so we essentially had a seven-man rotation again last night. That might be fine in ordinary circumstances, but for us it meant only three bigs to share the minutes (each at 28+) against a big, deep Kansas post rotation (only Embiid played more than 25 in the post for them). It also meant we had to play a ton of Young, Yeguete, and Prather together, which may be the worst possible floor spacing unit for us. Young gets helped on by Yeguete's man and Prather ends up driving into a paint crowded by six guys. Plus, they never have to help off Frazier in the lane precisely because you can sag on either Yeguete or Prather. I am hopeful that once D. Walker gets back and Hill can give us better, healthier, more confident and aggressive minutes (25-30), then it will create more spacing in the rotations, with Wilbekin playing more two, Frazier/Walker more three, DFS and Prather more four, and Yeguete/C. Walker more five. We will have better spacing, plus fresher players who can move more off the ball in the half court sets. It will also help that we get the same kids playing together. Donovan said last night that we had some lineups on the floor offensively had never even played together. He added that they need to get in practice with the current group and figure out some different combinations and things they can run to suit those combinations a little more.

It is going to be a work-in-progress, but we all knew that might be the case as far back as last spring. The only real issue is that we didn't have November to work through the lineup adjustments and are now having to do it in December. Fortunately, we got by FSU and Kansas in the process, and we showed against Wisconsin and UConn that we could be competitive no matter the lineup or personnel losses.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,376
    Defenses had to collapse the paint, often leaving Hump open - when he didn't have much space he had the quickest release from 3 and the best concentration you'll see with defenders flying at him.
  12. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +469

Yeah, this is huge. I went into last night's game thinking that my hope for the team was that they at least split with KU and Memphis. The good thing about college basketball is that, generally speaking, you can't hurt yourself by playing big-time non-conference opponents unless you really fall on your face.

So we have this five-game grouping against Wisconsin, FSU, UConn, KU and Memphis, all of whom are likely tournament teams. Going 0-5 would have been awful, and 1-4 pretty bad, but 2-3 is a perfectly respectable figure. You pick up two really impressive resume wins, and come the end of the year the committee isn't likely to punish you too severely for three understandable losses against good teams.

After last night, we've already clinched those two wins. Coming out of that stretch with three wins would be fantastic, and would set us up for a high seed at the end of the year (though with the state of SEC basketball we'll need to dominate the conference outside of Kentucky for that to happen).

EDIT: Oh, and add in a win over a consistently solid mid-major in Middle Tennessee.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,046
    I thought it was hilarious when Vitale mentioned that Self said "People will zone them until they can prove they can beat it"

NO--People will zone them until you TEACH them how to beat it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +930
    rserina, you are entirely correct. The biggest problem was/is the lack of offensive execution. But, that does have a lot to do with the lineups on the floor and our inability to field a consistent set of players. Like every other team in college hoops right now, we are a work in progress, but we haven't had the ability to put all the work in to this point because of the injuries and suspensions.

I also agree with austingtr's point about rebounding. Some of the disparity was due to the fact that we took (and missed) far more shots than did Kansas.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +444
  16. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +115
    I think with this team, you have to temper your expectations on offense somewhat and raise them on defense. I don’t feel like this squad is ever going to be one of Billy D's prime scoring groups, especially in the halfcourt. Defensively, though, this may be the top to bottom best team he's ever had at UF. I think this year’s team is less like a typical Donovan team – to me, it’s more like a Bob Huggins Cincinnati-style team where you can throw out a lot of athletes and size and win with defense first.

There are some issues with our 2013-14 offensive personnel that I don't see being fixed just by health and a full roster, like the limited number of 3pt shooters, poor team FT shooting, no consistent post scoring and no real go-to guy. We have a great group of team players with excellent athleticism, defensive ability and size, but I think you basically have to expect somewhat ugly offense from this bunch most nights against the better teams on the schedule. I agree with rserina that we definitely need to get better results in transition, because that should be one of our strengths, though – we should be pressing, trapping and running all day with these guys.