UF-Fresno St. post game thoughts

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GatorMcCluskey, Dec 21, 2013.

1. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    There you go Will Yeguete! Best game of the year for the big guy, and it was great to see. His FT stroke looked as good today as I've ever seen from him too, nice knee bend and smooth release with no hitch at all.

Prather continues to be this team's quiet MVP - he's scored in double figures in every game this year, and he carried us in the first half today. He ought to be a frontrunner for most improved player in the country. Young also had a nice game rebounding and generally busting heads down low. That play where he muscled through two FSU guys on the baseline and then put an up and under move on a third for the layup was one of the best offensive plays of his UF career.

that Guerrero kid was just really annoying with his goofy wristbands, two-sizes-too-small jersey and clapping all the time. He reminded me of Steve Wojciechowski with the clapping, which is never a good thing. (I had to look up how to spell Wojciechowski - yet another reason to hate him)

I felt like Scottie was pressing his own offense too much in the first half and that was a big reason for our low scoring and disjointed play on that end of the floor. He got it going in the second half, though, and started distributing more and picking his spots to score better.

Overall it was kind of a workmanlike win against a weaker opponent. We had a pretty obvious athletic advantage over the Bulldogs and played really solid defense, rebounded the ball and wore them down offensively. I think we were maybe a little flat to start, but those kinds of games happen after the stretch of big games we just had and the holiday break coming up, and we were able to get out with a win and avoid a letdown. We're definitely a ways away from the typical offensive level of a Donovan team, but I think we're playing the best defense of any UF squad since 2005-06, and those guys ended up doing alright. There are going to be some rough scoring games like this one for sure, but as long as we get this type of effort defensively and on the boards, I feel like we can take down anybody on our schedule.
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    It is a shame that Randle essentially has league player of the year locked up. Otherwise, Prather would be the front-runner, especially if we win a league title.
  3. roflcopter

roflcopter Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +195
    Prather has been impressive, and it is a quiet kind of impressive. I'm amazed when they show the box score and you see his stats. He is a gamer.
  4. RattlerGator

RattlerGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Prather's efficiency this season continues to amaze.
  5. born2beagator

born2beagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,394
    Yeah the media hype is so out of control that he probably wins it even if Prather has a better year
  6. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +208
    His growth has been pretty amazing and I think it's very similar to Chandler Parsons growth. Both had a ton of athletic potential and I knew if they could find their confidence they would be much better players. I saw Chandler's potential, but I didn't expect Prather to grow to the level he is at right now. It's too bad it took Chandler 2.5 years to find his confidence and that it took Prather 3 years to find his.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Singaporegator

Singaporegator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Prather is amazing. I think he is the smoothest gator I have ever seen! Certainly he was the best athlete on the floor tonight. I think he is playing his way into the NBA draft. It looks like everyone else is wearing boots.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    To add to some of this, it almost amazes me how efficient he as been. Coming into this game, he was leading the team in FG% (61.3%) and is right behind Frazier amongst the regulars in FT% (76%). More impressively, without even having a perimeter shot or being a shot creator for others, he still has a PER of 29.5. Those numbers are likely to come down at some point, but even for this stage in the reason they are quite impressive.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    I hope Kasey Hill is alright. I didn't see much of the two pg offense today. I did see Devon launch a three and score. I think he needs to pick up some more minutes and save the ankle of Kasey Hill. I thought we were uninspired and cold in the first half. Billy probably got on them a little. Hopefully we can figure out how to get Frazier in the open.

Overall, we took them out of what they wanted to do. Great defensive effort. I am hoping we can get Devon going because he is good size and a good shooter. With Devon getting hot I believe it would open the outside for Frazier.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    good stuff and I agree, it's really incredible how much he's able to get out of his limited offensive skillset. He's basically a one-trick pony offensively - he's going to drive on you and finish in the paint - but he's one of the best one-trick ponies I've ever seen at maximizing the return on it, and he knows exactly what he's good at and doesn't try to get outside his comfort zone and take stupid shots. He's really a very smart player with the way he stays within his limits and makes it work.

If this keeps up all year, it may be the single greatest success story in the Donovan era. How many other guys with his athleticism would have stuck it out on the bench their entire career and put in the work he has to get to this point? I think most would have transferred a long time ago. And then to just come out of nowhere to become this team's leading scorer, with such ridiculous efficiency - its really just an awesome thing to watch.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    The defense was really oustanding overall tonight. Tough to guage this game as honestly we are just a VASTLY superior team in almost every aspect. I was very impressed with fresnos coach, thought he coached a great game. But he just doesn't have a lot to work with on that team. No bench, no size, no shooters to really speak of. FSU did however play with heart, they got after us defensively (especially on the perimeter) and didn't make hardly any mistakes and didn't give us many transition opportunities despite a horrid shooting night.

seemed like BD knew this game was a mismatch and was trying some different combinations in the first half. letting Kasey play the lead at the PG spot at times with SW starting out on the wing. KH made a lot of mistakes today on the offensive end. Although I think he gave solid defensive intensity. Overall, he seems like a kid who is really putting in the effort on both ends of the floor. One thing I like about him is that he doesn't hang his head when he screws up.

the second half showed a vastly different approach offensively. BD was more focused in his sub patterns and you can see at around the 12/13 minute mark he went for blood with his best lineup to put the game out of reach. We put 31 points on the board in the last 12 minutes as opposed to 35 points in the first 28 minutes. If you consider that we didn't score in the last 2 minutes when the bench was emptied. That's 31 points in 10 minutes.

The first half was like something out of Hoosiers. We were extremely deliberate on offense. "Must make 5 passes before you shoot the ball." Except I think BD stressed 10 passes. Guys were passing up obvious driving and shot opportunities and working the ball deep into the shot clock. Not sure what BD was trying to get out of this. But it seemed obvious to me at least that this was a deliberate coaching instruction. There were a few times where there were TOs from guys forcing perimeter passes. It was odd to watch.

The second part of the second half, we were much more aggressive in attacking the lane. Which we needed because we were shooting extremely poorly. FSU had absolutely no answer for Prather defensively and WY gave a very solid performance. I wasn't thrilled with PYs effort overall. Thought he played soft and quite frankly lazy at times. The 9 rebounds were almost by default.

I am really concerned about our lack of transition offense considering 1. how good our defense is 2. the fact that we are out-rebounding the opposition 3. the fact that we have a senior PG and an outstanding cast of athletic wings.

We won this game somewhat easily as we should've because of the discrepencies in everything across the board. But I cannot imagine that BD is happy with this performance overall, particularly on the offensive end. A quality team would've caught us off-guard for a loss.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Bad spelling... Just kidding
  13. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    First half KH played a bunch, primarily as the primary PG with SW either on the bench or on the wing. KH came off in the second half limping. Not sure why. But he didn't play at all after that.
  14. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +258
    Noticed the same about Hill as well. Wilbekin played a lot of minutes after the game was out of reach and then Devon Walker was asked to run the point at the end, which might come in handy if Kasey tweaked the ankle
  15. gatorstevelp

gatorstevelp Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Many people talk about Prather can only drive to the hoop but to my eye he has been deadly from 10-12 feet. So much so I would be surprised if his make percentage isn't better from that distance than his overall make percentage.
  16. jjenkins5

jjenkins5 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +310
    Prather is just another in a long string of non-McDonalds All American Gators who realized their potential under Billy's direction. Some take 2 years, some 3 or 4. However long it takes, it's really gratifying to see the light come on for someone like it has for Casey this year!

I'd really like to see college sports move toward rewarding longevity and career improvement/achievement over raw, albeit phenomenal talent over just one or two seasons. For example, McCarron over Winston for the Heisman and, in this instance, Prather (if he keeps his present pace going) over Randle for SEC POY.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +42
    Its not every day you see a triangle and 2!

I thought PYs effort was good. His shot selection was questionable at times. (Ie, the flip up over his head backwards, and a couple more that he forced when he shouldnt have) He worked hard for his rebounds. He didnt achieve them by default as someone said above.

We took Harris completely out of his comfort zone. Uf shattered his confidence early. He never adjusted and he all but disappeared.

FSUs PG can play.

I agree with everyone else re: Casey. He's really turned himself into a baller. Hes clutch at the line near the end of the games, I cant imagine theres a better slasher in college than CP, and his spin move down the lane was oh, so pretty.

NEGATIVE: BD2 needs to shoot much more. He needs to live up to the Donovan name and start gunning. Youll miss 100% of the shots you dont take BD!! ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,184
    Billy played eight scholarship players in this game with the least minutes going to DeVon Walker at 12. When C. Walker gets in into the rotation that will be a nine player deep bench with the option to use Kurtz if needed for a few minutes. This gives Donovan a lot to work with and we should see more of these different combos, and looks, as he tinkers with the lineups against inferior opponents.
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    No doubt. He is automatic, I would say, even out to 15-16 feet with that little elbow shot he has hit for two years now against zones. You just don't get a ton of those looks in the college game because teams can pack the paint far more easily without the defensive three second rules and give help right over top without the 24-foot arc.
  20. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +581
    We won comfortably over a decent team, even after a poor shooting first half, and after Fresno throwing in something we hadn't expected (triangle and two). I really like this team.

Had to love the rebounding dominance last night.
    • Like Like x 1