UF fans lack of traveling to events in postseason

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CitRain12, Mar 21, 2014.

1. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    TV is misleading.

I was surprised at the empty seats for UVA, Duke, Kentucky, and KANSAS games. Then I heard about how seats are sold. Those empties are not available to the fans. There is no fan base that travels better than KU and UK. Yet, there were empties.
  2. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,073
    I went to the 96 championship game against refshrooms, I was at both the final 4's in indy and Atlanta, I was in Arizona for the '06 beatdown on tosu. I was at in Orlando for the first two rounds this year for the NCAA's....so yes I have been there. Orlando was well represented and yes we did get loud in the second half against Pitt.
  3. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Anyone complaining about UF's fan turnout in Orlando last Thursday and Saturday needs to have their heads examined.

It's as though UF fans were supposed to buy out Pitt, Colorado and Albany's ticket allotment on Thursday so the lower bowl would be completely full. Ditto for Pitt, St. Louis and Louisville's allotment on Saturday.

Whether or not we represent like that again in Memphis remains to be seen.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It's the fact that most Gator fans are Floridians. There's a lot of entertainment options down here -- a lot of things to spend your discretionary income on. Beaches, going out on the water, all sorts of festivals, nightlife, etc.

Most of the schools that have amazing traveling fanbases are from places like Nebraska (football), Kentucky (basketball), Notre Dame, Ohio, Alabama. Those people literally have nothing else to spend their money on.

It's very expensive to go to postseason games whether it's football or basketball. Flights, hotels, tickets, spending money for food and drinks, it's nuts. Say you're married with just one kid and you want to go to the Fiesta Bowl, or something. That's at least a grand in airfare, $400 in hotel stays, and probably another $400 or so on tickets. Plus time off work and all of that. If you were from Kentucky, you do it because there's nothing else that comes close in entertainment to spend your money on. But if you live in Florida, that might mean you can't take that mini vacation in March to go to Sanibel Island or something.

Start thinking of all the programs near attractive bodies of water in nice climates and then think how many of them have great traveling fanbases? I'm waiting.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    I don't completely buy the "other things to do in Florida" argument.

Fact is, UF fans don't travel like we used to.

It was apparent during Tebow's last game at the Sugar Bowl and it was glaring at the Louisville Sugar Bowl. The Sugar Bowl being played in the middle of the week on a Wednesday may have had something to do with it. However we didn't travel worth a damn to the Gator Bowl in Jax against Ohio State the year prior.

If there's an SEC title in Atlanta or BCS national title on the line, or a Final Four, we travel as well as anyone. Otherwise we're watching from home on our 60" HDTV flat screens.

At the 2006 Final Four in Indianapolis UF easily outnumbered UCLA, LSU and George Mason fans. Ditto for the 2007 Final Four in Atlanta. The Oklahoma BCS title game was easily 75% UF fans.

We travel when the stakes are high, or when it's geographically convenient.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. RepubliGator84

RepubliGator84 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    Got to agree here
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    After attending the games in Orlando and seeing the Gator turnout, this seems like a strange time for this thread.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Agree 100%.

We had a great crowd in Orlando last week.
  9. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,570
    Let's see how it shakes out in Memphis this weekend. That's actually driving distance for me, and a fun place to spend a weekend, but I'm in a financial crunch right now.

My biggest problem isn't the bowl games and tournament games. It's the home games. Gainesville is not a direct flight from any major airport. (Part of the reason we didn't encourage our kids to go there) That's also a problem flying out for locals in Gainesville. As for Orlando, it's an easy place to fly to, but that's the last place in the civilized world I'd want to spend the night. Mauschwitz has made it prohibitively expensive for just an overnight stay without the package deal.
  10. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    I'm saving my money for the final four :)
  11. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Ok...Orlando. Orlando is one of the major population centers in the state and is right in the middle of it. And only 1.5 hours from Gainesville.

How is that ANYTHING like traveling to postseason games out-of-the-area.

And...shelling out mega dollars to see the Gators compete for national championships is just a tad bit different of a scenario than it is to shell out similar amounts of dollars to see the Gators play in a disappointing bowl game or the like. Gator fans always represent well when it's a very important game. Maybe not as well as what Nebraska would do in football or what Kentucky does in basketball but those fanbases are not ones we should be emulating anyways. Those fanbases are all-consumed by their team -- something to me, that is frankly not healthy. There are more things in life.

I don't think our fan turnout is any worse than 95% of other schools. And again, the schools that do have amazing traveling fanbases are located in BFE. Of course they want to get away.
  12. cstgator

cstgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    Ok, so tell us what the reason is if it's not the fact that Florida has more things to do (spend your money on) than other states.

You're basically just stating that UF fans don't travel as well as other fanbases. I agree. But why?
  13. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    I missed where I said UF doesn't travel as well as other fan bases...probably because I never said it.

UF travels as well as anyone when there's a championship on the line. Meaningless bowl game against a Big East team, not so much.

CFB fans in general don't travel like they used to. Look at UF's home football games when teams like LSU or Tennessee come to town. In years past those schools would sell out their allotment and still have fans walking up and down University looking for tickets. That's not the case anymore. The visitors section of The Swamp is all but empty for the cupcakes, and our fans aren't buying those tickets like in years past.

Living in Florida has always presented recreational alternatives to attending CFB games, which is why I don't completely buy your argument. Florida's always had Disney World and beaches. The way we consume sporting events has changed significantly. In 2014 you can watch UF play an NCAA tournament game on your phone while taking a dump.

Think back to when Spurrier coached at UF. Our opening game was usually a 6pm kickoff, and tickets were difficult to find regardless of the opponent.

Today that opening game is a noon kickoff because networks have a glut of games to televise. I'd rather watch UF play Toledo from my swimming pool than roast in the stadium late August/early September.

Economics also play a part. Yes, Orlando was an easy draw for us last week. Given a choice between attending the regionals in Memphis versus going to Dallas, I'm sure many of our fans are holding out for Dallas, present company included.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  14. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    Looks like we had a pretty good crowd in Memphis last night. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +858
    For sure, there were tons of Gators there and I expect even more to show up for Saturday.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,957
    Who travels well to "meaningless bowl games" as compared to Florida?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    It's a matter of perspective and expectations. Our Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati is a perfect example of a meaningless bowl game...for us. Cincinnati fans thought it was the Super Bowl.
  18. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,957
    Yeah but what teams travel to a meaningless bowl game? If it was Cinci's superbowl and they traveled well, that doesn't count as meaningless to them. I'll never claim we are the best traveling fans in NCAA, but we hold our own IMO.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. eViLG

eViLG Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +282
    And I agree with you.
  20. NJG8tor

NJG8tor Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Didn't a Big East team recently beat the crap out of one of the most successful Gator teams ever two seasons ago? Louisville was 6-2 in the Big East that year; whereas Cincinnati was 8-0 in a better Big East conference. Also, it was Tebow's last game. The last game of many of the starters from the 2008 championship. I believe Urban's last game (not sure if the sabbatical was announced yet). I'm not buying this crap about the game being "meaningless" because we were playing a team beneath us. I guess the FSU game is usually meaningless as well because it doesn't affect the national championship most years. If fans didn't or couldn't take off work to go fine, but the game is only meaningless if our fan base is incredibly fickle.