UF fans lack of traveling to events in postseason

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by CitRain12, Mar 21, 2014.

1. CitRain12

CitRain12 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +389
    The lack of fans at UF postseason events is surprising to me. Given the large fanbase UF has I would have thought I would have seen more UF fans yesterday, and the sugar bowl in 2012, OSU in the 06, etc. What gives? Is it the location, time and date of these events? Cost of traveling to vs TV? Large amount of fairweather fans? All of the above? For me it's the first 3.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,434
    Not cool anyway you slice it, folks....Orlando is very close to home.
    Exactly why a Dickey V supports Kentucky & Duke more than us.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,072
    That and he prefers the blue-bloods. I guess we need to correct him.
  4. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +320
    From what I've read the Amway Arena was packed with Gators for yesterday's game vs Albany. There are no doubt reasons why some fans can't be there in person. As for Mr. Vitale.........don't understand why many give this man such reverence. If he's part of a broadcast I mute him and listen to Mick Hubert. Each to his own.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    As far as yesterday, I think it's difficult for many local fans to get out of work midday, as opposed to fans from other schools who come to stay. An keep in mind that while this was a tournament game, it was a against a #16 seed team with a record barely above .500. I suspect the weekend game will have MANY more Gator fans!

Also keep in mind that in tournament games, the way they usually sell tickets is by day. So while it may have seemed like UF didn't have a lot of support yesterday, what you were probably seeing was fans from Colorado, Pitt, UL, Manhattan, SLU and NCSU rooting to see the #1 seed lose.

The TV contracts which now have almost every major game on regional or national TV and HDTV quality has dramatically hurt attendance for almost every single professional and major college program and for tournament games and bowl games.

Generally, I think UF travels as well as most big schools. The number of fans from any school that actually travel for bowl games is a lot smaller than you might think. Probably far fewer than 10,000 for even the biggest schools for bowl games. A large portion of the ticket blocks for bowl games are purchased by fans living in or near the host city.

I think what you see with schools like Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan, is that there are a lot of transplanted fans living in Florida and other sunbelt states where bowl games and tournament events are played. Not just alumni but the population bases of bandwagon fans from those teams.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,022
    The place looked packed.. not sure what the problem is.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. zanesville

zanesville Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I think part of the reason you didn't see more Gator fans is the ticket allocation. Apparently, each school only got 500 tickets, and the majority of the rest went to corporate sponsors.
  8. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848
    Anytime somebody complains about attendance, I'd just like to ask them why they aren't at every postseason event
  9. hailemfgator

hailemfgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    I was at the game. Announced attendance was 16,047. At least 10-12,000 gator fans at the game. Don't know how much better you can expect on Thursday afternoon.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,385
    It seemed they were quiet....but there in mass.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Agree with this but would add that it's not just tournament and bowl games, I don't think. Haven't done the research but am strongly under the impression that live attendance at televised sporting events is down across the board. All sports, college and pro. With the simple reason being that ticket and concession prices have never been higher, and meanwhile the home viewing experience has never been better.

You know what post-season games are really going to be hurting for attendance, I suspect? Those two semi-final playoff games for the new BCS championship system. (Or whatever it's now being called, not BCS.) If you've got limited funds for traveling to a postseason game, all but the most hardcore fans are going to hold off and see if their team makes it to the final. That's the game everybody wants to go to. Those intermediary games are going to have trouble drawing traveling fans IMO.
  12. gatorjeff20017

gatorjeff20017 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Not sure about Notre Dame. I went to the Sugar Bowl after the 1991 season and Gator fans greatly outnumbered Irish fans on the streets of the French Quarter and in the stadium. I'm guessing that there were 40,000 Gator fans in the Super Dome and 12,000 or so Fighting Irish fans. What's weird is that Gator fans' reluctance to travel to New Orleans is a relatively new phenomenon. It's only been the last two Sugar Bowls when Gator fans didn't show up. I was at both of those games and had a great time before, during and after the Cincinnati game. I was absolutely stunned to find that our Sugar Bowl attendance plunged so significantly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. hailemfgator

hailemfgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Tilly, agree with you about quiet. Not much to cheer about with the way we played. Hope things are better saturday. I think the crowd will be big and in to the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Tu_Gator

Tu_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +214
    There were about 10k Florida fans there yesterday, maybe 30 fans from Albany, their band, and cheerleaders.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Watching the Duke game today that took place in Raleigh, I was surprised by how many empty seats there were. UF had far more people in Orlando than Duke had Raleigh. I think UF basketball attendance is really starting to improve, there was even a good showing in Atlanta.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +665
    Yes, this is very true. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise but only referred to postseason because that was the initial question.

Notice that for the first time in about 30 years, UF has not sold out season tickets over the past 2-3 seasons. Some will blame it on performance, but decreased attendance is something that's happening at every single university in the country. Tickets sales and actual attendance at almost every school is down.

But that's not an entirely bad thing. Schools are more than making up for the lost ticket revenue with increased revenue from the network TV contracts.

It should be noted that back in the early 80s, Ted Turner made the Atlanta Braves "America's Team" and was one of the most profitable teams in the country, despite having terrible attendance. Turner made WAY more money from TV advertising than he could have ever made in ticket sales.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,640
    There were plenty of gator fans in attendance. What are you talking about?
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. gator212

gator212 Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    Even Bianchi commented about ho good the Gator attendance was.
  19. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +593
    There was a ship load of Gators vs Pitt and the Louisville couple next to me knew it. In the 12-15k range easy. About 32 Billikens.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. 92gator

92gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,626
    I concur with the concerns about football attendance (esp. wrt to New Orleans), though, imo, it's mostly performance related, more than High Def. TV., or what have you. Fact is, the product has been extremely BORING since Champ instituted his 'strangle the clock' philosophy the last couple of years--combined with last year's just absolute disgrace/ complete across-the-board catastrophe/unmitigated disaster, that was enough to severely challenge even the most hard core of fans' loyalty--and factor in for a generous side serving of perpetually stagnant economy/phantom recovery over the last 5 years--and there's plenty of reason to hope that the future will look more like the past, than the present.

But basketball? I think we do pretty darn good showing up for basketball games--for a football school, in a football state, anyway.

IMHO.
    • Like Like x 1