UCF Should Be The National Champs

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by themistocles, Jan 1, 2018.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,144
    I'm fine with the status quo of scheduling as long as people are willing to accept the consequences, it's the complaining about not having a chance that I'd like to get rid of.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Bear1974

Bear1974 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,086
    Strength of schedule matters.

You can't discount it or just dimiss it.

And if you can't schedule someone to play at your place then you are forced to go on the road to play that significant team on the road.

That is what FSU did in the 80s.

Not a difficult concept to get.

The concept of a great schedule is the ability to navigate it for the entire year dealing with whatever injuries that come up as result of playing those above average teams. That is why going undefeated in a power conference is a very very hard thing to do.

Any good team can get up for one game particularly if your schedule is not rugged thus teams get more points in playing in a power conference because you need to gear up for multiple games during the course of a regular season.

The only way you can get away with playing for all the marbles while playing in an average conference is if you have some major cred your way from the media based upon any significant past history.

Does UCF have any significant past football history - no.

You go undefeated and win your bowl game that is an extraordinary effort for that program but it does not mean anything for this current playoff format if you are not tested on a regular basis.

A scenario like this certainly brings up the idea of expanding the playoff beyond 4 teams but under this current format if you want a legit shot into to it then you better schedule accordingly particular if you are not in one these power conferences.

UCF can bitch and moan all they want but either schedule better or get into a power conference thus indirectly improving your schedule in that matter.

But does beating Auburn really mean anything in terms of justifying your mythical NC rings - not really.

You never know what team you are going to play during a bowl game because teams can change without playing for a month. That is reason why we have never seen two good semifinal playoff games. Whatever mojo a team has in the first week in December does not automatically mean it will carryover to playing the next game in January.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. observer

observer GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I'm not talking about the supposed "victimhood" of the players. I agree that they knew exactly what they were signing up for.

I'm talking about the NCAA who is supposed to be the governing body on what division schools are placed in to begin with and has, in my opinion, utterly failed in this regard. The NCAA continues to this day to add "mid majors" to 1A FBS football without regard to any consequences and this needs to be stopped. At this point we're up to 129 schools and 40 bowls and doesn't any else besides me find that to be... too much? People want to complain about participation trophies, well doesn't it bother anyone that in the modern day it's possible to go to a bowl game with a losing record?

As an example of the current mindset of the NCAA, even schools like Old Dominion are now apart of 1A FBS football as of 2014 (along with Appalachian State and Georgia Southern that year). And they added at least two more since then as well (Charlotte and Costal Carolina)

There are going to be consequenes to to mindlessly growing 1A FBS whether people like it or not. The million and one bowls that most people don't care about is just one of those.

In my opinion there should be division realignment, but $$$ talks so we're more likely to see the Group of 5 in the playoffs instead.
  4. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +887
    While you make a really good point here. I really don't believe that there was a 4th team who deserved to be in this year. It came to a point where we are splitting hairs. And UCF should have been part of that discussion when we were splitting hairs, but the 4th team should have felt lucky that they were in, not have teams falsely claiming national championships and an overhaul of the best postseason system college football has ever had.

That's another reason why 8 teams is a bad idea. There are 3 MAYBE 4 teams every year that clearly deserve a shot. The 5-8 spots tend to have a clear separation from the 1 and 4 spots. For example, Southern Cal would've been in in an 8 team playoff... Had they won, would anybody really believe that they were the best team in college football this season? They would just be a hot team winning at the right time, not the best team over the course of a season. Too many teams in that system would NOT deserve an opportunity. In the one we have now, maybe only one per year doesn't deserve an opportunity, if that.
  5. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +893
    I’d also be fine with a 6 team system that had 1 spot partially slotted for a G5 team and put whatever qualifier is necessary - undefeated, conference champ, and top 20 ranking if necessary.

My argument isn’t so much that there’s a need for 6 or 8 teams overall but that there is a need for the “bottom half” of d1a teams (G5) to have a shot at the playoff. UCF scheduled 2 P5 teams and only got to play one and beat them, won their conference title, went undefeated, beat a few teams ranked, basically everything they could do. Bama and co. probably won’t schedule them because they’re in the middle tier of not good enough to be compelling (like a P5 OOC blue blood) and not bad enough to be a cupcake. It’s one of those risky programs that could ruin your season if you have a bad outing.

In any case there’s virtually no spot for G5 or conference champs that aren’t considered “good enough” like OSU. I think the last 2 spots in a 6 team playoff should be for those. Give 1/2 a bye and play 3-6, 4-5, then the winners play 1/2, etc.
  6. 1984Gator

1984Gator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +596
    Same as Alabama's 2009 loss to Utah. Nothing to play for. Spent, injured and dejected. They took UCF lightly. Besides, since when does beating the 3rd best team in the SEC earn a national title?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +4,143
    While I mostly agree with this, if Auburn won, people would have taken the other side and said that it proves UCF didn't belong.

The notion they deserve to be National Champs is absurd.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 1984Gator

1984Gator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +596
    But Auburn didn't come close to winning on a neutral field.
  9. AFCyberGator

AFCyberGator GC Legend

Democratic People's Republic of California
    Ratings Received:
    +1,376
    I guess if I have a choice between calling Georgia the national champions (if they beat Alabama) or UCF based on made up criteria, then I can call UCF the national champions in front of any Georgia fans.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,387
    South Florida beat power five T tech in the bowl

Memphis should have beaten I state but lost by one and did beat Kansas State in the season

Ucf beat Auburn

Wisconsin played no one but was undefeated so they went up

UCF had an equal schedule at that point but stayed in the slow lane despite being undefeated

Of course the depth couldn't handle an SEC attrition war and results would differ

But they were the best team in Florida this year

They should have been in the top ten at least
  11. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +491
    Saban is 0-3 in Sugar Bowl games. Teams check out when they don't have anything to play for. Auburn would have crushed UCF in the regular season. And that, my friends, is the only team UCF played this year that has status.

Have they gone through a meat grinder schedule they would not be undefeated. Half of their players would be mangled. Their coach would probably be hurt too, haha!
  12. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,387
    The big 12 considered Ucf but called off expansion

I could see them competing there
    In the PAC they would flourish

Not enough for the Acc or Sec but good enough to be ina power five conference.
  13. themistocles

themistocles GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,121
    I started this thread more as a joke than anything else. On any given day, even a team like Georgia Southern can be the best team in the country.

But UCF, incredibly enough, is having a National Championship parade.

Just Hilarious.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. junebuggator

junebuggator GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +17
    UCF beat the team that SMOKED Bama and UGA during the season......that's what they are carrying ;)
  15. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +3,903
    UCF should join the Big 12 if they want a shot.

As I've said before:
    • Drop the Regular Season to 11 Games
    • Drop the FCS Games
    • Start the season one week earlier
    • Add a "Power Six Conference" -Top 72-84 Top Teams
    • Pick Champions and 2 or 4 at large (Wild Card)
    • Play the first games at Campus of Home Team
    • TV viewership would be off the charts $$$$$$
    • Drop the lower 40 teams into the FCS or Start another Division
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Legend

Ratings Received:
    +4,143
    Actually, yes. They would be the same as BAMA this year but it would be more impressive because they beat 3 really good teams. This is basically what BAMA did this year. That is what put Auburn in the conversation for Playoffs, beating Georgia and then BAMA. 2 huge wins against top competition. The rest of their resume didn't suggest they deserve anything.

BAMA didn't really "deserve" to be in the Playoff this year same as USC wouldn't have "deserved" it.
  17. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +5,615
    The governor proclaimed ucf national champs, so it must be true He wouldn't lie to us..;)
  18. Sulla

Sulla Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,104
    I think some folks around here are buying into their believing it probably more than even they do.

For the record, I don't think they deserve a natty, but I don't begrudge them any of this. Maybe it's because I went to two smaller schools myself before ending up at UF, but when fans at large programs act so high and mighty over a smaller, in-state program that, for the most part, poses no threat to them whatsoever, it makes them all sound like a bunch of elitist curmudgeons. These threads here sound like a bunch of Ole Miss and State alumni squawking about Southern Miss back in the late 90s, two fan bases I'd prefer to never sound like, haha.

If I was UCF's AD, I'd be doing the exact same thing whether I actually believed it or not. Smaller programs can't afford not to act like this when they do well as they have so few opportunities to do anything with their brand at a national level. And save me all the, "branded as embarrassments," stuff. That isn't how this works. They aren't doing this to convince Gators or any other big program to take them seriously. They're doing this to motivate their own team while trying to build a name that might help them scoop up a few more recruits that might have gone elsewhere. It will probably work too. They aren't going to recruit like Bama, but this will probably net them a couple of better-rated recruits who would rather go play for a team with some buzz than end up second or third string at a more august program.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  19. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +27,155
    Based on the final poll, they may not have gotten in if they were selecting today. They were #6
  20. mulegator

mulegator Swamp Gas Mod VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,124
    Final AP rankings.
    #6 UCF
    Thankyew!
    Thankyewverymuch!

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings