U.S., allies were near a deal for peaceful end to Egypt crisis

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Row6, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    For those who actually care what is happening in Egypt, today's Washington Post with more details on behind the scenes diplomatic activities noted in the Reuters article I posted a few days ago. Internal politics and power trumped pressure from us and regional supporters of Egypt - who provide more funds to Cairo than we do.

Two weeks before the bloody crackdown in Cairo, the Obama administration, working with European and Persian Gulf allies, believed it was close to a deal to have Islamist supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi disband street encampments in return for a pledge of nonviolence from Egypt’s interim authorities.

But the military-backed government rejected the deal and ordered its security forces to break up the protests, a decision that has resulted in hundreds of deaths and street clashes that continued Friday in the capital.

The agreement nearly brokered two weeks ago sought statements of restraint from both sides and an inquiry into competing claims of violence and mistreatment, said Bernardino León, the European Union’s envoy for Egypt. That was supposed to be a prelude to talks between the Muslim Brotherhood and the government.

Former Egyptian vice president Mohamed ElBaradei appeared to back the deal but could not convince Gen. Abdel Fatah al-Sissi, the head of the military, León said. ElBaradei resigned after violence erupted.

The proposal was the result of weeks of visits and calls to Cairo by an unlikely diplomatic coalition representing supporters and opponents of Morsi and declared neutral parties, led by the United States

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...686-11e3-88d6-d5795fab4637_story.html?hpid=z1.
  2. Row6

Row6 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,748
    the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray

especially when you are dealing with terrorists
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Boehner found that out when he thought he had a deal with Obama on deficit reduction. Thugs, Hoodlems, terrorists and extortionists understand one thing...a fricking bazooka up their keaster.
  5. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    This seems to be the good guy's take on it as well.
  6. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,331
    Any plan that was contingent on Islamist fundamentalist factions like the Muslim Brotherhood honoring an agreement premised solely on their good word was a fool's plan anyway. I suspect the Egyptian military knew that. Hell, if you aren't a western liberal in the political class or academia, pretty much everyone knows that. Even the Saudi government has said that the Egyptian military is fighting terrorism.

I'm no fan of the Egyptian military basically running a junta here, but they are waaaaaaay more sympathetic, and certainly more in our interests, than a Muslim Brotherhood government installed by any political process, even a nominally democratic one.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    Well said (as usual).

Forgotten in all of these discussions, it seems, is the MB's constant whittling at the constitution from the day they took power, presumably in an attempt to install themselves as a theocratic, ruling oligarchy. Refreshing, in that region, to see the people reject it and the military have the wherewithal to back them. All those prattling on about the "democratic process" didn't seem to have a problem when Morsi disbanded their version of the SCOTUS. The guy - and the MB - were really no different than the Nazis in that respect. Thankfully the Egyptian military is not Hindenburg and the Wehrmacht.

Best thing we can do is stay out of this and let those who know the situation on the ground the best (and posses the common sense to deal with it appropriately) deal with it.
  8. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +633
    I was close to going to Harvard except I had bad grades.

I was close to being the starting QB of UF except I couldn't throw a football beyond 30 yards.
  9. wargunfan

wargunfan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Having disguised themselves as moderates who would respect the views of the opposition, the winners of the last election quickly rejected any thought of inclusiveness and began to install a radical government. By filling top government posts with radicals the new administration revealed its desire to fundamentally change the country. Having taken the reigns of government they quickly abandoned any pretense of being centrists.
    And now voters are having second thoughts about electing Barack Obama.
  10. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,373
    turks are wondering if it is too late for them. moderates went radical there but they purged the army first.

how long till the world recognizes the theocracy there and how will that impact NATO?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,208

Agreed.

And there was Obama, taking center stage and trying to take credit for what was happening in Egypt and now he's trying to distance himself from it. :grin:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    I hope no one missed my comparison of the modus operandi of the Muslim Brotherhood with the Obama administration. The similarities are striking. :ninja: :grin:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. CHFG8R

CHFG8R Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,373
    Actually, reminds me more of the Nazis circa 1930-33.
  14. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,621
    An inconvenient lie.^^

Three Arab countries, that gave Egypt's military billions of dollars to oust Morsi, know more about the Muslim Brotherhood than Obama will ever know, or admit, about them.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. wargunfan

Ratings Received:
    +189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wargunfan View Post
    I hope no one missed my comparison of the modus operandi of the Muslim Brotherhood with the Obama administration. The similarities are striking.

Actually, reminds me more of the Nazis circa 1930-33.

Point taken CHFG8R. And we know how that ended.
  16. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +345
    What happened to "we don't negotiate with terrorist".