Tyler Murphy's side of the story

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by sjgator, Dec 20, 2013.

1. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,186
    Do I sense a reproach, friend? I suppose this means I won't be getting a "funny" tag from you, but more importantly perhaps it's time for me to reevaluate my metrics for coaching success. It is possible I've been hard-hearted toward our venerable coach. I mean, how did I allow things such as a 4-8 season, three-game losing streak to Georgia, and losses to Vandy and GaSouthern ever become such button issues for me. I will meditate on this.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    i get it, i really do. it was bad, i sat through every home game and uga until the end fighting depression. i guess i just take more things into account then you do. i understand the injuries that destroyed this team. when you lose that many starters its hard to do. people were calling for pinkel's head last season, even though their team was destroyed with injuries, seems like they did well this year. I think that the failures this season presented will show muschamp some glaring flaws that it seems like he is addressing. sometimes you have to fail before you succeed. am i 100% confident, absolutely not; but i do see some positives for next season
  3. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,186
    Apologies to the OP for the thread hijack, but I'm not optimistic at all. I got it about the injuries, I really do. They don't explain Louisville, and they don't explain Miami. Coaching explains it neatly, though. However, no one would love to come on here and eat crow more than I. We will see.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    Didn't GA Southern have twice as many injuries going into the game, and they have fewer scholarships? I wonder why they weren't destroyed by it?
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    That's exactly why Georgia Southern was the game that changed my opinion about Muschamp.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    im not out here advocating for champ, however i don't expect next year to be bad. we should contend for the east next year
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +540
    Miami was somewhat of a tossup. A huge part of Driskel's game is the ability to create with his legs, and that went out the window when he sprained his ankle toward the end of the first half. Losing that makes a huge difference in a close game with two somewhat even teams, although Pease could've done a few different things that I'm not going to get into. We will never know how good Driskel could have been this past season, how many of the other seven losses could have been wins with him under center, etc...losing Jeff was huge; however, his potential still would've been hindered by an awful, beat up offensive line.

I, like others have pointed out, lost a lot of faith in Muschamp after the Georgia Southern game. You don't lose a game like that. But you still have to think we stand a great shot at winning the east next year.
  8. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    AZ should be ashamed of how he treats people on here.
    Back to the OP, I don't think Murph asked to be handed anything. He probably just wanted a chance and saw how easy other people like Kyle and Maye got their chances back. Other teams exist with more than one Qb, ole miss with brunetti and bo. No one said Muschamp should lie, but at least let him know he will be utilized. I imagine this probably was said, but it probably came across like Baghdad Bob. Murph probably just wanted away from this dumpster fire.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,150
    Bad spelling icon has to be the dumbest feature on here. Is this an online English class, or a message board for gator fanatics? You know you're a tool when you hit the bad spelling icon. Lol weak...

What's even worse, is that you actually get negative points for it. Really? So for the grammatically challenged, (my self included) we could end up with lots of unwarranted negative rep. All because of grammar.

AZ, you better sharpen up on your grammar. We have grammar police in the area! LOL
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,503

How were Maye and Kyle treated? They played poorly and lost their jobs to people that played better. Watkins and Gorman played outstanding after replacing Maye. Brunnetti had like 20 completions this year. Why should we play 2 QB's? Most of the teams in college football play 1. Tyler was told their was an open competition for the job. What probably happen was college coaches called Tyler's QB coach and high school coach letting them know they had a starting spot waiting for him if he transferred.
  11. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    Watkins should have never been moved, he was best CB on the team. Maye did play poorly and I saw no upgrade with Johnny. Kyle wasn't playing well, but it was still early, might have been just a slump.
  12. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I wish Tyler well! He made the best move for him even if it was one that will hurt the Gators next year. Driskel would probably have won the starting job again and ™ would have been riding the pine. I just hope JD learned a lot by watching Murphy play this year. Tyler was always looking downfield for a second or third receiver if the primary was covered. JD had problems finding them, and often took off running when there was a secondary receiver wide open. Murphy also has "field awareness" and knew when someone was coming from behind…..a skill which JD sadly does not seem to possess. Oh well…..it is what it is! If JD gets hurt again next year we are toast for another year!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    What I am most concerned about is the fact that Driskel has missed multiple games all 3 of the seasons he has played here due to injuries. History shows we are going to need a good back-up QB or Muschamp will play the injury card again.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
    Ask KT about those open competitions... I hope Murph goes somewhere and does well. I think we will miss him next year.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. 93KSig

93KSig Member

Ratings Received:
    +17
    This is what makes his departure more interesting. Driskel's injury is not some minor thing, it might take him much longer that anticipated to regain form, might even take a whole season. Given his injury history, TM had to know that he had a good chance of playing and starting multiple games, quite possibly even the whole season. What makes me really curious is that he decided he didn't want to do that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,503
    What games have you been watching the past few year?
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,503
    1 Driskel being injured is a major concern
    2. The amount of injuries last year was not normal
    3. If there is no good back up QB at this point it is 100 percent Muschamp's fault
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +332
    That's the thing that most folks on here aren't talking about. Will Driskel really be ready to go next season. Yes his injury may be fully healed, but will everything else be in place, especially the mental side.
  19. ces1948

ces1948 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +125
    I think the injuries gave Muschamp a "get out of jail free" card sort of like when Zook took Illinois to the Rose Bowl.