Tyler Murphy's side of the story

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by sjgator, Dec 20, 2013.

1. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +520
    I'm having difficulty following along. Tyler Murphy, who couldn't beat out Brissett who couldn't beat out Driskel, should be the starting QB based on 3 good games against the worst of the SEC? Or was it Jesse Palmer's "eye test"?

Every position on this team should be an open competition. There is nobody that played well enough this past season to have secured a starting spot for 2014.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +555
    welcome to gator country. you havn't been initiated until gatorAZ has made one of you're posts look stupid. sometimes he is right, sometimes he is wrong. this time he was 100% correct. sure tyler did good, but it has to be an open competition going into spring ball, we didn't see enough of JD, especially with the O-line, i almost felt bad for the kid for getting clobbered so many times a game. next time you post use some common sense and you'll get some more love on here
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. RipCurl

RipCurl Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +198
    And did you watch Driskel against Toledo, against Miami and against Tennessee for the few minutes before he got hurt? It was frustrating to witness to say the least.

Murphy was the better QB to have with how banged up our line was, he had better footwork than Driskel and was able to make plays when the pocket collapsed. I'm sure in a lot of attributes Driskel is the overall better QB, but in the 2.5 games he played this season it was obvious that his awareness in the pocket and downfield vision had improved zero from last year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. grant1

grant1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +467
    Murphy's pocket presence was fine against the weak zed before teams had tape on him. After that, not so much. Sacks, turnovers, and poor throws seem yo define him.

Funny how so many want to give him a poor performance pass due to injury, but not for Muschamp.
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    Sometimes I think we must be watching a different game. What did Driskel do wrong vs Toledo?
    Miami Driskel was making plays and throws Tyler didnt make when he became QB. That one int was terrible though.

Driskel had improved in going through his reads this season. Murphy never really went through his reads most of his completions were to his first read or a scramble then throwing the football. Murphy was also missing calls in the run games and they were having to do checks from the sidelines. He wasnt that accurate either Dunbar was having to make crazy catches. Murphy had better pocket presence than Jeff and has quicker feet but that was it, nothing else.
  6. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,283
    How can you tell a kid he will be starting next season when there has to be a competition for the role? That would be a false promise.
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,632
    Agree it should be an open competition.

Do you think it was really open the past few years? Do we really know whether TM couldn't beat out these other guys as you indicate... or just wasn't given a chance? We'll never really know because we don't get to see what the coaches see in practice. But based on what we've seen in games, I certainly have questions.

In the 2011 spring game, TM was our best QB... perhaps not saying much, but he was the only one that was close to functional behind the OL sieve we were fielding. Yet he was nowhere to be found until Driskel got hurt (and Brissett had left) two and a half years later. Then he comes on in relief of JD and plays like our best QB again.

My guess is that this is why TM is gone. He didn't believe he really had an opportunity as long as JD is around and healthy enough to play... a feeling probably enhanced when Muschamp moved the spring practice dates back to give JD more time to heal and participate.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. GatorMcCluskey

GatorMcCluskey Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    completely disagree with both of your statements about Murphy - I think the kid is a solid player and has been a great representative for the university. He doesn't have Driskel's raw talent, but he demonstrated better poise and awareness in his brief time starting than I've ever seen out of Jeff.

it's a shame he's not sticking around because I have no confidence that Driskel will ever get over the hump mentally to where he needs to be, and it's going to be tough if we have to rely on Grier as a true freshman. But Murphy gave us everything he had for four years here and never complained about his role, and I can't fault him one bit for wanting to do what he feels is best for him. He's a smart kid who's been around this staff for a long time, and if he feels that he's going to get a better situation and opportunity somewhere else, I'm pretty sure he's got a better read on that than any of us fans.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,172
    Muschamp should have apologized to Murphy for not recognizing his abilities earlier, and told him that as of now, he should think of the starting job as his, and it would be up to the other QB's on the roster to take the job from him.
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    why do people want Muschamp to lie?
  11. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +555
    so they have more ammunition to hate him.
  12. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +67
    I don't think anybody's saying Murphy's an upper level SEC QB, but it's not like Driskel's very good either. Jeff stares down his receivers, isn't very good at recognizing pressure and holds onto the ball way too long, tends to panic when rushed and makes a lot of unforced mental errors. He has great natural athleticism and arm strength, but I have no confidence that he'll ever get where he needs to be mentally. Its a shame because he seems like a good kid, but it is what it is.

as far as accuracy between the two guys, I don't think that's as clear cut as you do either - Driskel at his best is better than Murphy, but Jeff's also pretty inconsistent. He'll throw a perfect strike on one play and then throw a duck the next.

I don't think Murphy is great, but he's a solid QB with experience and athleticism and would at the very least give us a veteran backup. At his best (and I think injuries contributed a lot more to his decline in play later in the year than people give credit for) I think he's not that far behind Driskel at all.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    He got better at all of those things you said this year. Is he elite at them? No, but he certainly got better. Driskel can be one of the top QB's in the SEC next year. I actually expect it. Are you talking about where he needs to be mentally for college or pro? Did you expect Tyler to be there? Because they had to dumb down things once Tyler was the QB.

Jeff is really consistent with his throws. Even his Int's are where he wants to throw it they are just stupid throws. The accuracy is not close.

I would have loved for TM to stay on the team and fight for the job but I understand why he left. I actually think it was the right move for him. It puts UF in a difficult spot but that is Muschamp's fault and his problem to get fixed.
  14. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +67
    no, I don't think he got better at all those things - I think he looked like the same guy he's always looked like, holding onto the ball too long and making mental mistakes under pressure. In fact I think he looked significantly worse in terms of ball protection. In 245 attempts over a full season last year, he threw five INTs - an INT every 49 attempts. In 61 attempts over 2.25 games this year he threw three INTs - an INT every 20 attempts (he was on pace to throw 15 INTs for the year). Two of those three INTs (the one across his body into triple coverage at Miami and the no-look throw up for grabs as he was falling down against UT) were absolutely terrible decisions, throws a junior QB shouldn't be making at this point in his career, and those weren't even against the good defenses on our schedule.

but if you're going to use Driskel's interceptions to try to argue how good his accuracy is, I don't think we're going to get anywhere with this conversation anyway. Look, if he comes back next year and starts blowing opposing defenses up, I'll eat my words here and tell you I was wrong and you were right, and I'll be happy to do it, too, because it will mean we're winning ballgames. I just don't see it happening at this point in his career - I think he's a good kid who's always going to be an average at best quarterback.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    He did not look like the same guy. He was actually scanning the whole field and going through his progressions. That is something he did not do in 2012. He still held the ball too long but the tackles were also worse that the year prior. Humphries has some huge lapses early in the year that led to fumbles. Another fumble Mack brown just misses his protection call. Which goes to the people around him have to play better.

The UT play it was a rub play where he actually went to his 2nd read. QB's are going to throw a few BAD int's Jeff had one. They are not going to be perfect. Do you watch the NFL? It happens every week with franchise QB's. So I guess those guys shouldn't be playing QB either
  16. GatorMcCluskey

Ratings Received:
    +67
    ha - so his fumbles are all caused by protection breakdowns and not his fault, NFL QBs make terrible throws too so that's not a big deal either, and his interceptions are really just additional proof of his accuracy. I understand brother, you really, really believe in Driskel.

I've got no problem with that, but we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, though. Jeff has not shown himself to be anything other than an average QB to this point, and I don't think that's going to change significantly next year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    The fumbles are both on the Oline and Jeff. Jeff has to get better at holding on to the ball when hit because or Oline has played terrible in pass pro the past 3 years.

Jeff's int's have more to do with poor decision by him or the WR's (running the wrong routes) than accuracy he is very accurate with the football.

I dont think Jeff is some great QB. I think he is an pretty average QB. He is good enough to win 10 plus games with when the people around him do their job.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  18. No1GatorFreak

No1GatorFreak Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    I don't have a dog in this fight so to speak because I want the best player to win the job but one of the things Murph was known for was NOT his "velocity" on throws it was that he throws a nice soft catchable pass. He had a lot of touch on his throws where as Driskel really fires that thing like a baseball pitcher at times. Neither shows who's better but i'm just saying...
  19. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,597
    Nonsense. The Muschamp Munitions Plant has been cranking out metric tons of the stuff since the Sugar Bowl kicked off almost a year ago. Between that game, the Spring, and this past bad joke of a season, we have more rounds than we could possibly fire in two lifetimes. In fact, there is so damn much of it that the real challenge for the next head coach (and if God is merciful that will be sooner rather than later) is going to be convincing people to throw out their old Muschamp ammo.

In short, it doesn't matter what happened with Tyler Murphy or what Muschamp could or should have said to him. No one needed Muschamp to make a single additional hate round with his own name on it. Most people are all stocked up for generations.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. jaxgator1991

Ratings Received:
    +555
    nonsense! well i was just pointing out that here's another round for you. sorry to offend you on your muschamp hate meter. i guess i under estimated the amount of hate you have for muschamp, please excuse me next time i will make sure all my posts will be mindful of your hate meter