Tyler Murphy...........

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Sep 21, 2013.

1. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +182
    Consecutiveness of TD scoring drives is not meaningless to me.

I will explain my reasoning. We have been having a really tough time in the red-zone.

When we put together 3 TD drives in a row, 7,11,11 plays,(29 plays total), we are obviously running our O smoothly and the play calling is very crisp.. All this without the benefit of a UT penalty or without a UF penalty. And we finish off with a TD instead of a blunder.

After Murphy got acclimated, our O operated like a well tuned machine. We couldn't put together consecutive O drives against some really bad teams last year, nor Toledo this year. That says to me that just as things would get rolling, we would make some sort of blunder to derail ourselves. Can you blame Driskel for the seemingly constant penalty, error, turnover or something that would sidetrack our drives? Obviously no.. However you have to tip your hat to Murphy as results speak for themselves.

For a unheralded QB coming in like he did, to operate our O as smoothly and efficiently as he did, capped off by TD's, tells me alot.. So i don't believe that this stat, under these circumstances, is meaningless.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    3 drives out of how many? Wouldn't the more relevant stat be percentage of scoring drives?

Consistency is far more important than consecutiveness.

When Murph came in, the drives ended like this -

punt
    FG
    TD
    Fumble
    Fumble
    TD
    TD
    TD
    Punt
    Missed FG
    Punt

I am far more impressed that we scored on 5 of the first 8 drives than the 3 consecutive TDs.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    You would attribute that to Murphy I assume.
  4. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I attribute it to the offense that Murphy was leading, yes.
  5. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,416
    Rep
  6. THEBIGFISH

THEBIGFISH Platinum Level Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    I just about shat myself....damn that's funny!
  7. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    Atta boy Sean....nice work with the statistics.

Can't wait until Saturday! Woot! :tongue:
  8. Gatorphenom

Gatorphenom New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    THIS
  9. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,365
  10. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I just remembered that Murphy gave up his # (10) in the preseason to Showers, who wanted it as some sort of tribute to his grandma. I have a feeling that his acts of selflessness have inspired his teammates to rally around him, and we'll be seeing the benefit of his good deeds this season. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,360
    Great post, Nicho.

I truly believe in karma - and considering the stuff we as a football program have gone through the past few years - plus the stuff Tyler has gone through - plus his acts of selflessness as you stated - I truly believe karma is giving back now and all will benefit - most importantly this young man who is very devoted to the team and his potential as a starting QB for the Gators.

What a GREAT story!

:happy:
  12. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,416
    Interesting... Had no clue about this. Thx for sharing.
  13. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I just rewatched this game. Tyler Murphy is a MAJOR upgrade from Driskel. This guy is so much better than Driskel it's not even funny. He converted 8-11 third downs either running or throwing. He kept drives going and led us on 3 consecutive touchdown drives - something we haven't seen in a while. But it's not just the numbers, when you look at how he played the position, it was very impressive.

For one thing, his pocket awareness. Every time he dropped back, it was 1..2..3...throw or go. He didn't sit in the pocket or drift backwards. He stepped up, eluded defenders and kept his eyes down field. When he scrambled, he either threw an accurate pass, ran for positive yardage, or threw the ball away. I know this sounds simple, but Driskel struggled mightily with this concept.

He was also a leader out there, and this is a big issue. He hasn't seen meaningful time on the field in 4 years, yet he was able to make all the checks at the line, get his team out of the huddle and lined up with 15-20 seconds on the play clock. After the completion to Dunbar on the sidelines, he was hurrying the guys to the line to get a play off before it could be reviewed. He wasn't constantly looking to the sidelines for the play, he knew the situation, took charge, and that's something we haven't seen from a QB in a long time here.

Then go back and look at his throws. Every one of them, either our guy had a chance to catch it, or nobody could. On short routes and passes over the middle, the throws were low and away from the defenders. The incompletion to Ajagbe at the goal line should have been TD pass number 2 - It was thrown low and away from the covering linebacker. The completion to Dunbar over the middle was just a perfect, on time, in rhythm throw - and a low ball that our receiver had a chance to go get. Needless to say, we haven't seen many "safe" throws from Driskel this year.

Most importantly Murphy came out prepared. He knew all the calls, he knew the defenses, and he looked like a 3rd year starter. This wasn't just him taking advantage of an unprepared defense. To not see meaningful playing time in 4 years, and still prepare like a starter and step up when his number was called speaks a lot to his character. Driskel himself even said he slacked off in the film room and didn't prepare his first year here, so you have to wonder about his work ethic.

You could tell the other guys on the team respect Murphy, and they'll play lights out for him - I think in a way they haven't played for Driskel. I don't mean this to be anti-Driskel, but I just think we are a much better offense and team with Murphy.
  14. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    First, Tyler Murphy has played one game. Matt Flynn signed a 3 year, $26 million contract because of one game. Colin Kaepernick looked like an All Pro NFL QB after one game. My point is, let it play out.

Second, Jeff Driskel is out for the year so what's the point in continuously kicking him at the expense of pumping up Tyler's game? If you admire what Murphy does, then simply state it.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. T3goalie

T3goalie VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +22
    I thinK Geo hit the nail on the head. Murphy is smart, poised, prepared, respected, and ready to do his best. He processes the game quickly. It will be interesting to see where his talent level takes him. That said, he looks comfortable and capable. I am optimistic.

In the end this may be a blessing for both kids. JD gets a med RS, has 2 years left to play, gets out of the pressure cooker, take a deep breath and continues to mature and learn without the scrutiny or spot light. JD athleticism is off the charts and he is the kid coaches drool over in re: physical ability. He has always reminded me of a young Terry Bradshaw at Pittsburgh. It took time for Terry to "get it" and he spent his fair share of timeon the bench. Once he figured it out he was hell on wheels. Who knows maybe JD's light will shine just as bright inthe future.
  16. GeomatGator

GeomatGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I don't think I was kicking Driskel while he's down, just comparing his play to Murphy's, which I don't think is inappropriate.
  17. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Ratings Received:
    +145
    We're going to need Murphy to step up and run this offense efficiently more than what we had hoped before with Easley gone. We need an offense that will score TDs, hold onto the ball, and keep the D on the bench.

That is the only way we make up for what the defense could now be. It will still be very good, but it was elite. We can't have all the TOs and killed drives inside the 25 and expect to win more than 4 or 5 of our last 9.
  18. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Yes it is GeomatGator.

It is inappropriate to compare the performance based on what we have seen from the two.

The euphoric dance that is starting is probably necessary for the emotional well being of Gator fans; but, good grief. (Eight of 14/140yds One completion a 52yd WR screen; two fumbles). The lynch mob would be gathering for the other guy.

I will be rooting for Tyler Murphy to get the job done. I hope that he shocks me and the football world. However, I am not going to have unrealistic expectations. Nor will I be calling for him to be benched, and the next backup to replace him in a week or two.

It will be interesting, based on the history of the board, to see how this all plays out.
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,646

These are pretty good, interesting points, but I'd like to expand on them too.

I saw the staff trying to do something with Jeff than what they "may" do with Murphy. You see, with a week to prepare after having to come in at the spur of the moment against UT, we don't really know what Pease & Muschamp are going to do with Murphy.

Do they make him try to sit in the pocket like they've done with Jeff and go through his progressions and throw, or do they let him run a lot of read/belly option and play/action pass like against UT? I still think that's what they should have done more with Jeff.

I admit that Murphy behaved more composed and patient in the pocket than Jeff did, and I think that's because JD was out of his comfort zone being more of a pocket passer. Simply put, he's a dual-threat QBm and when you tie one of his hands, you are taking a lot of his strengths away from him.

Watch JD's HS tapes and you'll see a QB who made plays on the move, not mostly sitting in the pocket. I think Murphy is a lot like Jeff in that he makes plays while he's causing a little chaos with his feet. It spreads out defense, isolates our downfield players, and creates more one-on-one circumstances where someone could break off a big play.

I think we got away from that with Jeff and it hurt us this year. I hope we do this with Murphy though we need to be a little careful about how much he gets hit.

But, I want to close with this... none of us really know what's going to happen @ UK when Murphy is behind center. After hearing several big-name coaches say "Murphy's got something special", well, I just hope Gator Nation is utterly WOW'ed Saturday night by Tyler. Maybe we have something very special in Murphy we never saw and he's going to light it up the rest of the way. Myself? I think he's smart and capable and patient, but I don't expect to be WOW'ed Saturday night either. (Please prove me wrong though) :wink:

Yet, there's also the possibility Murphy could come out and just be ~ho hum!~ and we leave Commonwealth Stadium with a 10 - 12 point win.

And of course, there's the possibility that his performance against UT was just a fluke and he totally bombs at UK.

All I'm saying is that Gator Nation should prepare themselves for every eventuality and not set themselves up for a supreme disappointment if the Murphy experiment doesn't work.

Myself, I think we have a capable kid in Murphy who can still help win us 9, maybe 10 games if we can get rid of this turnover gremlin that's been haunting us this season.
  20. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    If JD really is uncomfortable because he's a dual threat guy being forced to stay in the pocket, what does it say that Murphy was a much more effective scrambler than Jeff has been for the most part? Wouldn't you expect Jeff to look more effective as a runner?

That red zone run where Murphy cut back and dove into the end zone, I honestly don't think Jeff would have scored on that play. He just doesn't have the same kind of shiftiness.