Tyler Murphy...........

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Bazza, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +851
    ........is VERY fun to watch!

Can't wait till next week!!! :happy:
  2. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    Murphy benefited from Driskel having appendicitis during fall camp. He got all the reps and really seemed sure of himself today.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. co_gator89

co_gator89 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +342
    A weeks worth of starter reps should clear up those fumbles too.
  4. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I had written off seeing my Gators this year. Now I can't wait to go to UK and the Swamp to cheer on these tough kids like Poole, Kitchens, Mack Brown, Gorman, and Murph!!
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    I just hope we get healthy on the defense! Murphy is the man at QB and we all need to pull for him! He looked pretty good today....but it was Tennessee folks!
  6. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    If we found a legitimate QB To run this offence and jump start it to go with this D we are dangerous and could be a legitimate contender.
  7. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    I wonder if he is one of those people who don't practice well but step in real games?
  8. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +384
    I told a friend of mine that was watching with me that perhaps he doesn't practice well and that's what the coaches go by. A few minutes later, Danielson said virtually the same thing and that the kid is a gamer. We've had QBs in the past that were down the roster and weren't getting a shot and who ended up being outstanding. Kerwin Bell & Shane Matthews for example.
  9. Gators15

Gators15 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    good possibility! what else?!
  10. SeaBud

SeaBud Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    I said after Miami that I thought our best chance of winning was to let Driskel do what he does best - run the ball and throw on the move. It seems that the coaches were trying to get more out of Jd in terms of decision making and downfield scoring than he was capable of giving.

Murphy obviously runs pretty well and seems to do well on the throws he made. More importantly, Murphy did not try to make plays that were not there.

If Murphy plays like he played today, I think he gives us something similar to what JD gave us in terms of legs, little less in throwing and fewer turnovers - albeit sample size is too small to know. One thing I really noticed, Murphy sold the play fakes - something JD almost never does (drives me crazy). Seems indisputable that the team was better today with Murphy than with JD at the helm.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Excellent post.
  12. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +130
    Some people on here said the season was over w Tyler at qb. WELL, EAT SOME CROW!
  13. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    It's also possible that Murphy sees the field better and thus able to make quicker decisions. I know that UT is about as bad as a middle of the pack ACC team, but you gotta consider how this kid barely has any reps and he faced a Defense that knew he was a backup and were ready to tee off on him
  14. Gary_S

Gary_S Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    I wanted to attend 2-3 Gator games this year, But after watching Driskel fail to adapt to the position again this season I was not going to spend the money to attend the games. Enter Tyler Murphy and it looks like it may be fun to attend Gator Football games again.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,669
    He obviously wasn't that much of a gamer as a prep or he would have been recruited more highly.

Whatever the case, I liked what I saw from him. He has great athleticism, he throws a catchable ball, and he makes good, safe decisions. He also knows the offense and has some decent practice time under his belt, as others have said. He doesn't quite have Driskel's upside or experience, but I am excited to see what he can do with a full game plan.
  16. Nubla

Nubla Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Driskel has more top end speed.. but Murphy accelerates way quicker while running out of the pocket. Very nice to see his awareness when pressure is closing in on him
  17. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Murphy has more savy than does JD. A better feeling of when to tuck and run vs throwing it away. We are I'm good hands
  18. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,669
    I am sure your support would have been missed. Funny, but save for the redzone turnovers Driskel was massively improved so far this season.
  19. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Does anyone post "Just the Plays" on YouTube for UF games? I watched part of the 1st qtr but went to church and missed the 2nd and 3rd qtrs. and would like to watch Burton as the QB with the game on the line.
  20. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,781
    My take was replying to the idea that we would pull Jeff and start Murph instead. I said that wasn't going to happen because Jeff was our only viable option. Then he came in and played MUCH better than what he has shown. Now, is it silly to develop QBs by playing them instead of sitting them? I don't think so. QB is not the same as a defensive player or a wideout. You move the QB with some real conviction. The only thing that could have happened up to now is that Murph could have come in during the end of the Toledo game and thrown a couple of passes. Then we could have argued about playing him like we do about Kelvin. But it still wouldn't have proven anything passing against a tired Toledo defense at the end.

All I can say is, WOW! The offensive tempo/rhythm was much better with Murph. Now the question is, can Murph run the entire offensive package and if not will the SEC defenses catch on? I am excited to find out.

And maybe this "let's try the backup QB" talk will subside for the remainder of the season.