Tyler Murphy is gone.

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatormonk, Dec 15, 2013.

1. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +913
    7-5 will work for the Foley and the Muschampers, will not matter who we lose to. I'm expecting two more seasons of Foley's 1000% confidence level. Brighter days are ahead just not soon enough for some of us.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    It's hard to conceive of a scenario where we go 9-3 and are not a noticeably improved team.

I don't see how a 9-3 team loses to one of the four worst teams on our schedule.

The danger zone is 8-4. How do we look in our victories? How do we look in Tuscaloosa? Foley will want the narrative around the program to change during the season. Are we being dogged by the media? Are the fans staying away? Is there excitement surrounding the team?

We all know what the answers to those questions need to be.

My opinion is we'll know very early what the outcome is going to be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ApexNC

ApexNC Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +868
    Don't see him surviving 7-5. I could see 8-4…but 7-5 probably won't cut it. Of course, who knew he would survive 4-8?
  4. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    I disagree. Foley gave him a mulligan for last year. He won't get one for next year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +913
    Depends I guess. It's hard to say having no idea why Foley gave him another year or what he honestly believes about Coach's ability. It's possible he's just living with this, hoping Muschamp gets better but at least stocks the cabinet with top notch talent. Maybe we really cannot afford, or don't want to, buy the contract out? Even though 7-5 looks bad it's a long way from 4-8 and with trajectory in the positive direction might make a lot of people feel like the following year looks good. That's a lot of progress. But yea, who knows.
  6. Lawdog88

Lawdog88 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,654

Thanks for manning up. I will too.

Early on, I liked Will's intensity, but I quickly thought he needed to learn to chill a bit and learn more effective "game time" coach-em-up, techniques (And of course, I am not a head football coach at a major university, so I have no clue what techniques I would employ to motivate the players, that could be better than his or anyone else's). But there is no mistaking that WM is intense, and he does advocate for the Gators with the refs, etc., whenever a call is close, and he used to show disappointment in bad plays more demonstratively than he does now, IMO.

So, I thought and think that Will did in fact, dial the intensity back a notch or two (counseled by JF ?) . . . I dunno.

I don't like any coach using players for the fall guys, but I haven't heard very much - if any - of that from WC, except in tones that "the players play the game, and on the called play, if it doesn't work because they did not execute it, I can't play the game for them" . . . kind of thing. I also do not know what the best techniques are for keeping the inmates from running the asylum with shenanigans, other than handling things like Coach did with Janoris, which shows me that he is indeed a man of character, a man of second chances, and a man of absolutes beyond an announced point.

I want and expect our players to get top-of-the line technical coaching on their positions, positive reinforcement, life-skills encouragement and character training, and personal motivation to succeed, but again, I have no way of knowing whether they are getting that or not; I merely trust that they are because I think that would be essential in providing an environment to succeed. I also know that Coach has a pretty good handle on the defensive side of the ball, and I like it when the Gators play good defense. On the other side of the coin, like everybody else, I want to see one hell of a lot of improvement on offense, but I will defer to Coach whether he can orchestrate that with the right personnel, or not.

So, with JF's decision - and I think it is a fair one, with the best interests of UF at heart - I am hoping that WM puts the big package together and delivers it next year. I make no prediction about what will happen if he doesn't - that has been predicted ad nauseum and may likely come true - but I am sincerely pulling for the guy, for the team, and for UF.

That is where I am coming from.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Really, 7-5 just requires us to win the games we should be favored in (or have equal or better talent).

The schedule is set up to virtually guarantee 6 wins.

Foley isn't going to tolerate another season like 2011 or 2013. If he did, the loss of revenue would dwarf Muschamp's buyout if he didn't fire him.
  8. DieAGator

Ratings Received:
    +913
    Hope so, then after that maybe the staff will show enough competence to make the difference in a couple games. Foley might have me fooled and actually knows he has to make a change eventually. At this point I have to take him at his word. If he was 1000% at 4-8 he'll be giddy with 7-5 or better.

It would mean a lot to our fans if he could put a half decent game together and beat Georgia as well.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,654

Trying stand up now ? Keep trying.

I concede nothing, and admit that you have probably been instructed in how to spell assume, at least once in your life, already.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  10. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    This is getting bad lawdog. Were all of of your 28k plus messages this sophomoric? And going after spelling? Bottom of the barrel my friend. I expected more from someone who posts so damn much, but I realized, inane drivel is just that, inane drivel.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
  11. Lawdog88

Ratings Received:
    +1,654

Tell you what.

I will simply apologize to you for any offense you have taken over my posts concerning the difference in opinion you and I have about the state of the UF football program, and what to do about it - and yes, that includes any offense I have given - no questions asked.

Peace.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    Sounds good. I'm not offended, I was merely defending myself and others who happen to critique the program's current state. Either way, Go Gators!
  13. beanfield

beanfield Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +135
  14. cistern

cistern Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Just ignore it. People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn't stop you from having your own opinion.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    In fairness if we went 9-3 and our 3 losses were in those games we'd be playing in Atlanta :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    If Patchan can do it, why not Murphy?
  17. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    Dear Tommyuf, That was a very salient comment you made about 7-5 translating to winning games we are suppose to win and losing the others. This is why the NFL quit sniffing around so many collegiate coaches. They finally understood that it is a little difficult to judge records in college. A coach at a TRUE football power will have a profound talent advantage in 9 games. They will play basically a 3 game schedule. Go 1-2 in those 3 games and you have a 10-2 and what Richt has been doing at Georgia for years. When you question a coach with a string of 10-2's you will hear the sycophants pipe up and say--"How in the hell can you fire a guy that goes 10-2?" They will leave out the fact in reality the guy has gone 1-2. There aren't any Eastern Michigan, Eastern Kentucky , Kentucky or Idahos on an NFL schedule. There is pretty close to parity and you must actually COACH and motivate MEN as opposed to bossing around boys. It's a different game and that is why all of them ---besides Carroll--have crawled back to the NFL with tails between their legs in last 15 years or so.
  18. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Bbreece1 said: "I've seen people's intentions being questioned in regard to the their alma mater. Some people think the "negativity" is related to an attempt to sink the program. I would speculate the only POSITIVE people at this point are graduates of other SEC schools and Miami and FSU. Just like we were all happy about Bobby's travails and near death rattle as far as FSU, they are now getting the other side of it."

You have posted a lot of BS, and now you are reading minds and attaching labels. False labels. Speaking for one Positive person, I attended UF, and my guess is that it was before you were born. My wife attended UF. My older daughter attended UF, graduating in the same class with Stephen Orr Spurrier. (Which was much later than most people realize.)

I support Muschamp because he is the Coach of the Florida Gators for the foreseeable future. I accept that situation, because I have faith in the people who hired him, and supervise him. I accept that those professionals are at least as concerned about the welfare of he program as any poster on an internet forum; and that they are willing to stake their professional reputations--and maybe their professional futures--on Will Muschamp's ability to coach at a high level.

I don't think you and other incessantly negative posters want to sink the program I just think that you believe that it is somehow clever, or superior, to wallow in your negativity after a difficult season. Unfortunately, it turns out that there are many of you, so that rather than appearing as beacons of truth and reason, you actually appear more like flock of gulls sqawking loudly and defecating prodigiously over the landscape. I just wonder why you cannot look at the circumstances of last season, and reason that it may simply be one of the instances in life when "shit happens" and no one could have prevented it. Even so, are you so short-sighted that you cannot understand that firing Muschamp, given the circumstances of last season, which immediately followed a season in which he was deservedly SEC COY, would attach a stigma to the UF coaching situation that could be very hard to overcome? I believe that for reasons that only you can know, you crave gratification instantly, and lack the mature patience necessary to function in a world which cares nothing for your hopes and dreams. That you somehow think that constant protests will change the dynamics of a world in which there is competition at the highest level, and in which injury iwill be exploited by predatory competitors as an opportunity to dominate. UF's competitors had a measure of revenge last year after years of frustration. They will savor it while they can. I believe that you have an inflated opinion that the UF deserves uninterrupted success for reasons that border on fantasy; actually for no reason other than you desire it. I believe that you think that you are smarter and more competent than Jeremy Foley; and that you see more clearly from afar what he cannot fathom in daily contact with Muschamp. You obviously feel the same about the athletic administration of the University of Texas which after all chose Muschamp as its HCIW. I don't think that you understand that trends only
    develop over time. The three years that Will Muschmap has coached the Gators do not define a trend. Last season, following hard on the 2012 season, and given the horrific bad fortune, would be thrown in the outlier bin by any credible Analyst. Such a person would rightfully say, "I must have more data before I draw any conclusions."

I believe that although you may poison the atmosphere at Swamp Gas, and probably other forums as well, and make them unpleasant places to visit and seek information about the Florida Gators,
    you do not have the clout to actually influence anything. In fact, that may explain a lot.

That is what this POSTIVE person thinks.
    \
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  19. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    As long as we aren't blocking kids from going to USCe. I'd hate for the program to be known as a, well you know.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    You keep being positive. I went to school with Spurrier. I will not check my intellect at the front door to be a FANatic. I'm positive about most things but not a destructive course of events that has set the football program at Florida, a school I love, back at least 3 years. You keep being positive. I hope you are positive about good things that are occuring and not train wrecks.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2