Tyler Murphy considering transfer

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Dec 13, 2013.

1. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    He has no reason to transfer, in fact, if he can't beat out Driskel and a true Freshman than what other team is he going to start for? He is smart enough to learn any new system much faster than Driskel will and that alone should give him a leg up in the spring. The only reason to leave would be if he has been told it will not be an open competition, which is possible given this head coach
  2. critterair2

critterair2 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    We will see both of them in the backfield next fall.
  3. No1GatorFreak

No1GatorFreak Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +57
    Murphy has a good shot at being the starting QB going in the 2014 season. He shouldn't transfer. There will a legit QB competition next year that everyone will have their eyes on. He needs to get healthy, work hard as ever, and come back and battle it out with Jeff next fall. We will need both QB's next year because I would be very surprised if we made it through the entire season healthy at QB for every game. One way or another Murhpy will likely play a lot of ball behind center for us. COME ON BACK MURPH!!!
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. G8tr69

G8tr69 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    Hope he sticks around. :D
  5. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,753
    I hope he stays too, I actually liked his play better than JD's until he hurt his shoulder, and I'm a JD fan.
  6. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,930
    where you get he is smart enough to learn a new system faster than Jeff? They had to slow thing down for Tyler. He was missing OL calls. They had to start calling checks from the sidelines. Jeff and Tyler should be fine picking up a new system. Hopefully things are simplified for everybody.
  7. NorthCaptivaGator

NorthCaptivaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    Maybe because it seem like murphy called more audibles in the second half of the Tennessee game then Jeff has called in two years?

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. bbreece1

bbreece1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +318
    I'm a proud 1969 graduate of Florida where I learned how to think and received a wonderful education. I guess I still don't comprehend this concept of "If you ain't a Gator, you are Gator Bait." Now I would understand this conversation for certain specific years, however, to continue to voice this sentiment now seems silly. Doesn't "gator bait" mean that an alligator will feast upon you?" Last year we beat 4 teams--3 of those teams combined to go 2-22 in the SEC and the other team was pretty bad. As far as I'm concerned, we were basically 0-8 and I will therefore not refer to anyone as Gator Bait until the term has some legitimate meaning. The Swamp has been drained and the alligators are near starvation. Let's really start to make people GATOR BAIT!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BastogneGator

BastogneGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +559
    I think he did well for the Gators this year; especially considering the circumstances. There is talk by some fans that he is under appreciated, however I'm not sure if he feels this way or not. If he thinks he is going to be getting third string reps during the competition I can certainly understand if he wants to transfer. I think there would be several FCS and some smaller FBS schools ready to take Murphy. I certainly hope our brand is still strong enough that a guy who was good enough to start for the gators wouldn't have a hard time finding a place to play.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. gator2641

gator2641 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +70
    PLEASE STAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    If he was going to transfer because he doesn't want to be a backup it seems like he would have done it before now.
    And even if he's the backup he's got a good chance of starting some games. JD has suffered an injury of some kind in each of the three seasons he's played.
  12. BARRYisaWinnah

BARRYisaWinnah Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +124
    if he transfers before the spring, I am willing to bet that is due to him feeling that he won't even get a shot to win the job, because Will has already given it to JD...
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Nope. Every season he has had to miss games due to injury. History says the back-up will have to play a few games next season too.
  14. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    He deserves a chance to start somewhere else. Love the guy, but good luck bud. Driskel I'd take over a starter but you transferring I'd root for you as long as that transfer isn't to a rival.
  15. Hebron13

Hebron13 Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    I realize everyo

I realize everyone has an opinion....but if the same human eyeballs see murphy as an sec QB I need mine evaluated....driskell may not be headed for the wall of fame but he's the best chance for us to win 9 plus games next year. Including Grier....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. chemgator

chemgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,177
    What do you mean, if he doesn't beat out Driskel? He's already beat out Driskel!

I view Murphy as the starting QB going into the 2014 season. It's up to Driskel to beat out Murphy.

It would be a horrific indictment of the incompetence of our coaching staff if the starting QB transferred.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    Well, he's already beat out Driskel in your mind. And mine. But it is not clear whether that opinion is shared by the staff at this point. So far, I'm getting the impression that this will be a "competition".
  18. swampspring

swampspring Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +481
    The way I see it, Muschamp can't be that stupid, especially in his make or break year, to let the most important position on the team be determined without a true open competition. Murphy has proven himself, at the very least, to be of Driskel's caliber, which isn't saying much to this point. I don't foresee him transferring unless he knows he won't be given an equal opportunity here.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. lagorcegator

lagorcegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +196
    my opinion is that Driskell will be who muschamps goes with
    our HC has not shown me the wisdom to play the best player at every position and if I was Murphy I would transfer.
    Like I said it is my opinion which is influenced by
    Kelvin Taylor
    Driskell 10 turnovers in 3 games
    Kent Taylor
    receivers development and use
    etc,etc,etc
    GO GATORS
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    lol, what? If you're not counting wins against bad teams, you have a whole bunch of UF records to amend
    • Agree Agree x 1