Two year old Texas high school super stadium may need to be demolished....

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by secgator, Mar 26, 2014.

1. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,050
    Not sure if this has been posted, so if it has--mods delete. The $60million dollar Allen, TX high school stadium opened just two seasons ago looks like it may have to have a partial demolition due to construction flaws.

Back in 2012 when this thing first made the news, we had a thread in here with photos showing what simply had to be THE most upscale high school stadium in the country. Now it seems the concrete is cracking and portions of it will need to be torn down and rebuilt.

One would think if that kind of money was going to be thrown out there, measures would have been extremely strong to insure this kind of issue would not come up--especially after only 2 years. Wow.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/part-of-60-million-texas-high-school-stadium-may-be-demolished/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/allen-school-stadium_n_4963595.html
  2. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Wow. That's crazy! The stadium is ridiculous for a high schools stadium. Looks like they got screwed by the contractor (using cheap concrete). I didn't see if this is going to be covered by insurance.

Apparantly that school district is loaded. They only have the 1 high school in the entire district and more than 5,000 kids go to the school. The band has 800 members! They put out a vote on the building of the stadium and it won by more than 70% vote. I'm just curious why an 18,000 seat stadium cost $60 million. Didn't UCF's stadium (which seats over 40,000) cost less than that? Either way, it's still an impressive stadium and shows just how big HS football really is in that state.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tebowism0823

Tebowism0823 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,134
    You'd be correct. According to the first reference UCF cost less for the stadium and seats more which definitely questions why it cost so much. The second one shows where it's basically the same cost but for a lot more. I guess everything is bigger in Texas; even the bill.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bright_House_Networks_Stadium

http://www.ucfknights.com/facilities/ucf-brighthouse-bio.html
  4. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +696
    And somehow, I have a feeling we all get to chip in and help out with higher gas pump prices.....
  5. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    I strongly suspect the attorneys for the general contractor, several subcontractors and the school district are going to get very rich trying to prove that someone else was to blame.
  6. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,579

Unreal UCF's stadium seats more than twice as many and costs less. I've never been inside the stadium, but went to my niece's HS graduation at their basketball arena and saw the football stadium. It's very basic on the outside (mostly just bleachers) vs. having facilities inside the sides of the stadium (like UF's and FSU's). So, I imagine that kept the costs down. The Allen, TX stadium looks like there are classrooms, etc inside the sides of the stadium which makes it more of a building (like Ben Hill Griffin)...but 18,000 seats and $60 million? That doesn't make sense.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    You gotta leave room for the kickbacks. The good ol ' boys who brokered some deal behind doors has to have their cut.:cool:
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Insurance? I'd hope the school district is arguing this is a latent defect which the GC would be liable for 6-10 years.
  9. theghost

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Dude, I'm not a lawyer or builder! I was just saying I hope the school district is covered....one way or another!
  10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,246
    The city took out a bond to pay for it, it was voted on by the public and passed with a large majority. As far as I am concerned anyone that dumb deserves what they get.
  11. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +830
    I actually work for a company in their construction bond department, we supply the bonds required by the state on public jobs so the contractor can build the project. If this was two years ago, the typical warranty is 12 months. If the contract stated that the job was warrantied for at least 2 years, then the contractor will have to come back and rebuild the stadium up to code on his own dime.

I've already heard they will probably have to tear down and start again... sucks to suck
  12. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +449
    Yeah I remember reading they built classrooms and a performing arts theatre along with the stadium.
  13. magnafides

magnafides Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    12 months? This isn't a friggin' smartphone, how can they/you get away with that?
  14. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    Warranty is a contractual agreement. In other words, you can agree to whatever you want but you will pay for it. Typically it is just a year except for specific items like roofs, siding, certain equipment, etc.

Every state has latent defect statutes which protect owners in the case of warranty like situations but weren't obvious at time of acceptance. For large commercial structures this can be as long as 10 years.
  15. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +830
    It protects against defects in the work (i.e. work not up to code), or faulty materials (i.e. bad concrete) things of that nature. We can't guarantee the work for something until it breaks and then pay for it with our money, that is, the surety's money. If something goes bad on a job the surety company steps in for the contractor and ensures the work gets done. If we did this on every single project we wouldn't make any money.

And I don't know why you would be pissed in the first place, if the structure passes inspection and then later it's revealed that things we not up to code, then it's on the contractor and the inspector for not doing their jobs properly. We're simply a backup.
  16. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    You're forgetting that football is the most important subject in Texas, so this was done to improve education.
  17. magnafides

magnafides Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +161
    Oops my mistake, I misread. I thought you worked for a construction company -- glossed over the word "bond" there the first time.
  18. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +830
    No worries, I've made the same mistake on here before
  19. bigtifosi

bigtifosi Member

Ratings Received:
    +52
    Sounds like a bad conc. mix or not enough rebar. Somewhere along the line it would appear that an inspector failed to properly do his job. And there are reasons for that...