1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Two Point Attempt

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator07, Sep 8, 2013.

1. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    you make that extra point and you make the 3 that we could have had if we didn't go for it on 4th and it would have been a different game in my opinion.

It was a flashback the Zook and Michagan in the bowl game. Not a good feeling at all.
  2. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    I understand. I was going off what my son said watching the game. He's big into how people use statistics, modeling, and economic principles to manage a team. He gave Chip Kelly as an example of someone who goes for two a lot.

I know some coaches have these charts of when to go for two and there have been plenty of times I've said why go for it, there's lots of time left, just chalk up the easy point. Of course, some PATs will be missed also, though not as many.

Personally I was glad to see some daring from WM and in the end it didn't hurt.

I remember well the Zookness of that Outback play. It was going to be a WR pass. You are right that Rex was moving the team. I would say it was not an intangible momentum but the very tangible Rex hitting on all cylinders, making good decisions and throwing good passes.

I think what looks likes momentum is really players' attitudes. Someone makes a great play and the team gets fired up and plays better and the other team gets demoralized and gives up. My point is there is no fundamental law at work. There is no guarantee that the one team plays better and the other team doesn't. They can choose to respond differently.
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Precisely. There's a time for that, but it's never at the expense of momentum, particularly early in the game.
  4. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +606
    Where are the stats that support going for 2? NFL 2-pt conversion success for the past decade is 43%. NCAA averages between 40% and 45% from what I gathered on internet searches.
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
  6. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +359
    I am not sure what they saw and when. ScUM had no PATs attempted against FAU the week before and if I am not mistaken Murphy is not our regular holder for PATs and FGs.

I have to guess that this was practiced during the week and the coaches opted to go for it.
  7. gatorjd95

gatorjd95 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    I fall into the camp of "don't go for 2 unless you HAVE to in order to stay alive or win at the end of the game." Let's remember, going for two is not an XP. It is scoring a TD from the 2-3 yard line. In short, you have to score 2 TD's on back to back plays. It's the same as a fourth and goal from the 2-3 yard line. How "automatic" are those? Do we line up in "creative" schemes when it is third and goal inside the 5?
  8. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    So being up one at 8-7 has no impact, but being down 1 at 7-6 can come back to haunt you? I don't get that. Wouldn't it be just as "haunting" for Miami to be down by 1 if we converted? And why can't I say "who cares whether were tied 7-7 or down 7-6 that early in the game?"?

I would agree if they went for 2 in a traditional set (something thats maybe a 50% success rate). Its way to early for that. But they thought they had something that was 100%. Heck they had 2 linemen out there to block 2 what-looks-like linebackers. That should be an easy mismatch. They had it in the Sugar Bowl and it worked. Its obviously something they practice and feel good about.
  9. rogocop

rogocop Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    I have absolutely no problem with the call.....it's amazing how people think the Gators are too conservative and want the Gators to take chances throwing 50 yard bombs which are low percentage, but complain when they show some balls. Mark Richt should not have gone for the onside kick after their first score against SC. I love that call too. I love the high school team in Danville Indiana that always goes for two, onside kicks, 4 down attempts.....LOVE IT ....execution is the key and we did not execute......I hope we do more of this....
  10. regator

regator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    If it was such a smart call then why don't more teams college and pro go for it?

There are too many people who make their living in football that study the game for a living and they choose not to do it.

I think many times coaches outsmart themselves.
  11. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,476
    They thought they had a 100% play?!?! Funny
  12. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Going For 2 In The 1st Quarter.

So I have been thinking about this since last week's abomination. The number one thing that irritates me more than anything in football is going for 2 when you don't need it and most of all, in the 1st quarter against a rival.

Can anyone here explain to me why it is ever a good idea to do this? I despised it when Zook did it and I just about blacked out after Muschamp did it last week.
  13. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,476
    It was dumb, that's about it time to move on
  14. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,712
    Never liked it, regardless who the coach is.
  15. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    Oregon does it all the time but they have an offense that can score fast unlike Florida.
  16. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,215
    I understand it now. When we get that close to the goal line you try to get as many points as you can. I too was angry at first but then I realize we don't score much so why not go for two?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    I have moved on, and I'm not talking about any specific incident so much as I want to know what strategy it serves.
  18. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    Rep'd.
  19. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    Move on......
  20. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    We were assuming we could execute three easy blocks. Do that and its a free two points.