Two Point Attempt

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator07, Sep 8, 2013.

1. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +595
    If it was up to me I don't even consider a two point conversion, downside too big.
  2. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    How is the downside any worse than the upside? Did that 2 point conversion cost us the game?
  3. IowaStateGator

IowaStateGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Totally agree with this.
  4. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +508
    We really don't score enough touchdowns to try 2 pointers randomly.
  5. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +595
    Mmmmmmmmoooooomentum!
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,205
    The downside was that it killed momentum. Kind of a buzz kill.
  7. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    When the offense is bad muschamp has to take chances
  8. 95Gator

95Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    Wow. I can't believe how many liked the call.

So bad.
  9. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    completely disagree, i think they saw it as an oppurtunity. they are probably coached that if they see that we have the right numbers to make the call and go for it, which they did, but instead we decided that double teaming one guy and leaving another free was practical... yikes.
  10. gatorjlm

gatorjlm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    "Coach, what do you think of your offenses execution?"

"I'm in favor of it"

J McKay
  11. Jonas

Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +328
    Do you think this perceived momentum killer is the reason Maye fell asleep in Miami's long TD play?

We proceeded to march down the field on the next drive and even had a long pass to Patton. I don't think failing to convert that 2 point conversion had any baring on the rest of the game.
  12. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +595
    It may have, it's not a positive is all we know for sure.
  13. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    I was for the xp but looking at the pic I can see how if the OL guy blocked the other guy that we should have walked in. It seems the OL thought we were doing the xp. So the risk is will the OL follow the call change and block the right guys.
  14. GatorLaw

GatorLaw Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    I thought it was a stupid call. That early in the game who cares whether we're tied 7-7 or ahead 8-7? But no point after the TD can come back to haunt you in a close game. It just seemed much too early to be going for 2 with the score 7-6.
  15. phatGator

phatGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +242
    As mentioned, statistically you should go for two every time. Also as mentioned if the blockers didn't double team he would have scored. Also thought the QB could have taken it straight in. If I recall the defender to the left of center started moving outside.

I also agree with Gary Danielson that there is no such thing as momentum as an intangible force.
  16. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,212
    I don't know if statistically if that's true. I sure remember a game when that wasn't true for the Gators. In the Sugar Bowl against Missouri on New Year's Day in 1966, the Gators were behind 20-0 late in the 3rd Qtr. Coach Graves finally took the handcuffs off QB Steve Spurrier in that game. SOS marched the team right down the field and we got a TD. We're still in the 3rd Qtr. Gators went for 2. Didn't get it. We're down 20-6. In the 4th Qtr Gators get another TD. Again coaches decide to go for 2. Again, we don't get it. So Gators are down 20-12. Finally, late in the 4th Qtr the Gators get another TD and now we're down 20-18. Now we have to go for 2 to get at least a tie out of the game. And of course it didn't happen. Final score, Missouri 20 Florida 18. Of course you couldn't help but think that if we had gone for that extra point kick still that early, 3rd Qtr., UF would be down 20-7. And doing the kick after the other 2 TDs and we would have beaten the Tigers 21-20. Now in that game statistically going for 2 each time didn't work. But I, with everyone else back then who discused that, sure thought we should have just gone for the 1 point kick after each TD. We didn't have a statiscally bad time that seson getting that done.

Then there's the momentum factor some have mentioned. It was the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day, I think 2004. Gators were playing Michigan. I was at that game and the 1st half Gators got their 1st TD. Zook decided to go for 2. Didn't work. Gators scored other TDs in that game. And it was obvious that Michigan's players were enthused after stopping that 2 point attempt and got the momentum and scored TDs on us. Later in the 2nd half Gator QB #8 Rex Grossman did an excellent job getting us back in that game. And on a late drive in that game marched the Gators right down the field and we were probably on the UM 35 or so. We were all so sure he was going to lead the Gators
    to a winning TD. But we did a dumb play that didn't work. Instead of Rex getting the snap it went back to either a RB or WR, can't remember which, anyway somehow the ball gets tipped high in the air and a UM player got it. I was puzzled, and other Gators were too, why that play was called. Especially since Grossman was doing such a geat job for the Gators on that late drive. Momentum then late in that game went from UF to Michigan and the Gators lost 38-30.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,484
    I think it's a fine play if we'd just gone up 13-7 on a TD. But the potential to end a scoring drive down by one is just too deflating.
  18. G8R92

G8R92 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +271
    Was Trey Burton told he would be the next Percy Harvin? Because Harvin is the only person I'd want on the field when making that ballsy a call.
  19. bayou_gator

bayou_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    It helped us immensely in our first quarter effort to teach Miami that they could possibly stay on the field with a superiorly talented team. The Burtoni Bros. graded as Champions of the endeavor.
  20. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    I just dont agree with the call. You take points on the road. You dont throw points away. I agree with the 4th and 1 call since we have a kicker that is questionable at this time and is not automatic. If we had a definite reliable kicker I would agree to kick. The 4th and 1 play call was atrocious.