Two Games Too Late?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by qwghlmgator, Oct 13, 2013.

1. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    After looking at the replay, I think the story of the game yesterday is that we got shut down offensively by what has become a very good LSU defense. This is something I was afraid of coming into the game. If you watched the LSU-Georgia game, you would have seen that most of Georgia's big plays came on bust by LSU's defense - especially the secondary. They vary rarely/never got physically beat. We know that D is stacked with four and five star recruits...the question was how long before they started playing like it?

Well, the second half of the MSU game, that LSU defense looked dominant. No more busted coverages. No more linebackers overrunning plays. Given that it was MSU, I was hoping that it wasn't a sign that they were starting to figure things out. But I was concerned knowing that a young defense plays much better at home, especially in big games.

Yesterday, I think, we saw that this LSU defense is going to be good - really good - sooner rather than later. Their gap control up front was excellent. Their LBs did a great job of scrape and fill. And their secondary communicated well (when they had busts a very active pass rush bailed them out). If we had played them two games earlier I think we would have had much more success. Ditto if we had played them at home.

Oh well, sometimes you get the bear...sometimes the bear gets you. In the end we lost a slobberknocker on the road to a team with an excellent defense and superlative offense. There's disappointment in that, but not shame. This is not the sky falling. This is not incompetent coaching. This is the SEC. We want to play the best. We want to be measured against the best. This is how that goes, and I for one wouldn't change it.

I'm proud of our boys and I can't wait for them to get after it again in a conference where wins really mean something.

And I think Bama should be damn glad they're playing LSU in Tuscaloosa.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
    I know LSU has very good athletes, but what we did in this game offensively was go into this game not even intending to score a lot of points, but to play a low-scoring, grind-out game, and it cost us.

The offensive packages needs to include more than being a predictable offense.

Even Les Miles, Nick Saban, and Mark Richt have adapted to the SEC and know they have to score some points to win. Muschamp needs to learn this lesson fast.
  3. gatorpa

gatorpa Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    Agree with all.

The sky is falling crowd will be here soon to start the bonfire.
  4. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    Virtually every member of Gator Nation had this game pegged as a L on this schedule from the very beginning.

Our greatest teams might not have been able to win in BR against that team. They would have increased the noise level and scored a few more points, but '97 and '07 were L's in that place all the same.

It is not THIS game that is killing this season. NEXT week and the week after will tell the tale.

This season was about 3 games, scum, pups, ref$u. We struck out in our first at-bat.

I fully expect us to beat misery without franklin, and then it gets serious.
  5. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +367
    LSU was able to hide their deficencies
    in the secondary by bringing pressure on every pass (always predictably only on third down) because there was absolutely no fear of us throwing over the top against man to man.
  6. UF67ee

UF67ee Member

Ratings Received:
    +28
    That's why I give Chavis credit
  7. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +804
    LSU has talent, and they had to replace - not only their seniors - but 11 juniors who left early. They've certainly improved as the year goes on. However, it doesn't take much to slow down our offense. Hell, our O only put up 23 - at home - vs. Arkansas...who gave up 52 - at home - to SC. Slowing down (or stopping) our offense doesn't take much. Kentucky and Toledo did a pretty good job as well.
  8. Tipmoose

Tipmoose New Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    It will be interesting to see what people say when we score 30 points or less against Georgia Southern and our offensive starters are still in the game midway through the 4th quarter.
  9. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +804
    Like Jacksonville State or Louisiana-Lafayette?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +117
    I was wondering what GAME PLAN we use against teams, 'cuz the PLAN looks exactly the same week to week!!!!!!!!
  11. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    teams with good offenses will light up lsu's D for big yards and points---texas a&M and alabama will put up 30+.
  12. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +356
    LSU ran the ball only one fewer time than we did, but they passed the ball 11 fewer times -- yet they won, so not sure what lesson Miles learned that Muschamp hasn't.

Simple fact is that our O-line was dominated and we couldn't pass the ball. In fact, I think we would have had more success against them if we had run the ball more, because almost every pass play was a bust. We're lucky Murphy escaped the game without an injury.

This loss was not about being predictable. Just got our butts whupped. It happens.
  13. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    It is also time to start getting Robinson and Fullwood out there more on earlier downs. Burton couldnt get off coverage the other day. Move Patton to the slot more to take advantage of mismatches. The two young receivers looked very good in their time on the field and so did Taylor. Youth movement should continue
  14. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Sadly, LSU's defensive performance in the first few games gave some people hope and that opinion changed over time among the majority.

Mine did not. I thought this was a loss back in April. Therefore, while disappointed our OL got their rear kicked in such a humiliating fashion, I was not suprised at the outcome.

Sometimes, you should stick with your gut instinct and not get caught up in the opponent's injury report or how they fared against other teams. This is not a championship team, before during or after Driskel. Nothing has changed there.

The only teams going into BR to win are championship caliber teams.
  15. Bedlam

Bedlam Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    I'll resurrect this thread when Ole Miss puts up 24+ on LSU. How can you try to paint a 6 point effort as anything other than horse shit. I guess it's ok to score 6 points on a team that gave up 44 to UGA because "it's the SEC"? Spare me.
  16. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    We are a bad offense. There's no question about it. Bad offenses don't do much when it comes to scoring points, especially on the road against a good team.

LSU was a better team than us three weeks ago and still is today. I don't understand why this shocks people.