Twitter crowdsourced the identity of a viral racist in mere hours

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by fastsix, May 16, 2018.

1. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,390
    I'm not justifying racism, I'm acknowledging that its a belief system that some people have, including IMO most white liberals who spend an inordinate amount of time on a soapbox ranting about other people's supposed racism. You know; those awful, awful others.
  2. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +9,390
    lol. Okay. :rolleyes: I give up.
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +25,168
    Racism is not immutable. It's a choice.

People who make bad choices earn the repercussions.

As we teach young kids to make good choices, so we also need to teach many adults. Often because they were not taught as children to make good choices.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,283
    People say crap they don't mean all the time out of anger or whatever. Anybody that's married knows this. Maybe you have to harbor some prejudices before you go down the racial road, but does that make you full blown KKK? Because that's how the internet mob treats someone like that.

As far as your story goes, I think threatening those guys with violence is a bit worse than a rant. But say you did get videoed and doxxed and your life was ruined over that. Do you think you would have been more or less likely for your feelings to evolve on the issue? What if after several years your feelings did evolve and you even apologized to those guys and everyone else you might have hurt. That video is out there forever and doesn't evolve with you. So while you are a much different person in your 40s, most will still consider you the same evil bigot you were in your 20s. You said you evolved in your beliefs and did it without your earlier beliefs being chained to your ankle on the internet for the rest of your life. This guy won't have that opportunity. I just don't think that it's a proportional response in many cases.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Very Stable Genius Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +14,464
    And lets be clear here, this racist exposed himself by being racist in public.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,729

Liberal racists are the worst. In my opinion their brand of racism is more condescending & insidious. My southern friends instantly pick up on it out here. My former boss lives in Boulder. He raised 3 adopted AA kids there. So many Boulderites who drive around in their self-righteous powered cars with their Eracism bumper stickers who just adore AAs in the abstract, were not such fans of them in reality.
  7. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,283
    I read the whole thing. You said you are against mob justice, but like it when someone you disagree with gets what you think is coming to them. My point was that doxxing is a bad practice in general and isn't something to be cheered even when they do "get it right". It just encourages more people to adopt the tactic and often get it wrong.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

Floridian by Birth, Now in beautiful coastal, NC.
    Ratings Received:
    +36,406
    I agree with this. My fear though, is that mob justice is spreading and there are no rules. Who decides what is worthy of such action? There are no rules and that can be scary in a big picture.
  9. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,283
    That makes no sense at all. The reason they are exposed by doxxers is to let karma take its course. The expectation is for knowledge of their identity to trigger their lives to take a turn for the worse.
  10. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +36,406
    Mr. Schlossberg is a published author and a seasoned presenter. He is fluent in Spanish, conversational in French and has basic knowledge of Mandarin Chinese and Hebrew. Mr. Schlossberg is a member of the New York State Bar Association and is admitted to the following courts: New York State, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Aaron M. Schlossberg | The Law Office of Aaron M. Schlossberg, Esq., P.L.L.C. | New York, New York
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +14,464
    I don't think mob justice is 'spreading,' its always been with us. At least in this case, you have video evidence, unlike mob justice of the past, where an unverified whisper could get you tarred and feathered, scourged or worse. The biggest difference today is that thanks to video and the internet you can crowd source identifying someone. My main problem is what if they get the wrong person? ... that's a bigger problem to me than outing a racist who already outed himself. The crowds instincts may not be wrong, but they aren't exactly going to get the right person unfailingly!
  12. tilly

Ratings Received:
    +36,406
    All good points.

I also feel bad for the woman pictured in the website photo from the law firm. I think it is reckless of the people who led the mob to have not blurred or cropped her out. Now her face is always linked to that.
  13. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +14,464
    I don't know what is meant by doxxing here ... is simply finding out someone's name and putting it out there considering doxxing them? I assumed it was a little more involved than that, like also publishing their home address, and other personal information that can be exploited. Just curious.
  14. gatorpika

gatorpika Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,283
    On a side note to this, can anybody explain to me why they are against other languages being spoken in this country? I have never understood why someone else having a conversation in another language that's not related to you should be offensive to you? If this guy doesn't want to hear other languages, I am not sure why he chose to live in NYC. Canada has a similar issue in Quebec where rants like this take place daily if someone dares to speak English.
  15. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +14,464
    I'm not sure, I'm still perplexed why one of my old co-workers' Caribbean accent triggered so many people, and she only spoke English. People would demand to talk to me, "the American" even though we were both citizens. She got it at both ends to, because a lot of Spanish speakers heard the accent and assumed she spoke Spanish and would just start speaking to her in a language she didn't understand, and she was also one of those "you damn people better learn English" types too. It was kind of funny.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +16,625
    that's the question I have, too. why do they care?

Meanwhile, that would have been a good scene for the Godfather II. You know, some New Yorker walks to the Corleone crew and starts yelling at them for speaking Italian.
    Wonder what would have happened?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,519
    Nope, not unless you hate gay people.

Society does.
  18. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,519
    That's fine by me.
  19. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +14,464
    Well if Captain McCluskey had gotten pissed off and stormed out when Michael and Sollozo speak Sicilian he would probably have lived. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. 108

108 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,480
    wasn't his first run-in

2:15 mark if you want to see the footage

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1