TUE - March 25th - FLORIDA (15-9, 3-3) vs. #1 SWAC (19-4, 7-2 ACC) - 6:00 PM

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by WESGATORS, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    [​IMG]

Florida State's Jameis Winston (center) is held back by a police officer as he takes part in a benches-clearing fight in the eighth inning after FSU's D.J. Stewart collided with Florida's pitcher, Danny Young, on a play at first base at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville on Tuesday.
  2. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    [​IMG]

Florida's pitcher Danny Young (15) hits the ground after FSU's D.J. Stewart collided with him and first baseman Zack Powers (5) on a play at first base during eighth inning action.
  3. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
  4. Jaggator

Ratings Received:
    +5,205
    Collision Time

[​IMG]
  5. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    For years I have said weekday games only matter for teams on the bubble. These last two weekday games are great resume builders and UF may need them in 2 months (hopefully UF won't need them, hopefully UF cruises into the tourney).

As for the fight, I didn't see the game. UF has been extra chippy against the SWAC since Sully took over so it really isn't surprising. Based on the descriptions, Powers did what you have to do in that situation.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061
    Totally agree....when you are locked in as a regional host then these games mean little. But they could prove crucial for a team like UF, either to make the field or maybe even host a subregional.
    Powers did exactly what he is supposed to. Some people may not like it, but that's an unwritten rule of baseball and every team expects that.
  7. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Stewart has the right to try and safely get to first base. Powers has the right to protect his teammate. Much ado about nothing.
  8. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,403
    Yep, we not only beat them, we beat them up!

:D GO GATORS!
  9. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    Watch the replay... he leaves the baseline to ram our pitcher - had nothing to do with trying to get to first base safely.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  10. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Players are coached to run on the inside of the line in that situation to distract the fielder. It worked. Players should also stand up for their teammates, which Powers did.

It's just a baseball play. If it wasn't FSU none of you guys would give a sh!t.
  11. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    Maybe so... I've never played competitive baseball... I'll leave that argument to those who have.

I know plowing into the catcher is considered fair game.. but he is padded.
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    You only have a right to an unobstructed path to the base if the defender does not have the ball and is not making a play on the ball. The bigger problem here to me is the Seminoles all running out of their dugout looking to make it a bigger deal than it was. I though Martin's comment on his team's toughness was low rent. My feelings on that wouldn't change regardless of the opponent.

This reminds me of when Jack Rye tried something similar with the RF fence.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Rule 8 (Base Running)

Section 5. (A runner is out when: )

d. The runner interferes intentionally with a throw or thrown ball, or interferes with a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball.

Emphasis added

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061
    Problem is, he had already attempted and failed to field the ball. Discussed with a minor league/D1 ump and he pretty much echoed doubledowns comments
  15. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,069
    Congrats fellas, keep it going this weekend.
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    I'll have to watch it again, but I don't recall that he stopped attempting to field the ball prior to getting hit.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. gtj31

gtj31 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    Not just once WES...Not just once...
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Heard a comment on the radio about the Powers hit (on Stewart's running) was actually the fault of Powers as he did not have the right of way while Young was fielding the ball...only Young did (only the fielder fielding the ball). Young still had the right of way per the rule book.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    Had a chance to watch this again:

- first, I just realized they were serving beer at the ballpark. I didn't not notice that during the game
    - Stewart definitely intended on running into Young, he went from running on the outside (left foot right of foul line) to running on the inside (left foot on the grass)...that in and of itself is fine without the collision, but it shows that this was willful on Stewarts part as that route was not a direct path to the bag nor was it helping him to elude a possible tag.
    - I can't believe I didn't record the part with the brawl, that's what I most wanted to see
    - Zack's actions after the play looked stronger than I remembered them, I guess I didn't realize that he made contact with Stewart (not truly significant, but significant in the context of finding people you can point fingers at to penalize)
    - Nick commented both what I said above and the possibility that the ump ruled that an attempt had already been made (what DD11 and Apk mention above); without the aide of replay, I don't see how that call could have been made, it was less than two full strides of Stewart between the time contact with the ball was made by Young and the contact with Stewart and Young. Without replay, I don't see how you can know an effort on the ball was completed prior to contact or however it would be worded. But the idea that the effort was completed doesn't make sense as that would imply we were surrendering the base to Stewart. The most likely idea is that Young was just repositioning to make a proper play on it
    - There is another part of the rule which grants Zack the ability to be a secondary fielder with rights to field the ball without being hit by the baserunner:

- Even if you can find a way around the rule protecting Young, I don't see how you can find a way around the rule protecting Zack.
    - I didn't have as much as I would have liked, but why was Stewart ejected if his actions were deemed legal prior to reaching base. What did he do after reaching base? I don't recall him getting physical or otherwise escalating things as a response to Zack.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS