Trayvon Martin the political pawn

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gator85jd, Jun 24, 2013.

1. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +904
    Epic Proportions? No.
  2. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Why not?
  3. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +781
    Wake up people. Travon Martin type cases happen a lot in cities. This is pure racial hysteria stirred up by the left and its so-called leaders who live off the government waiting for the next tragedy of choice to manipulate the masses.

This country is media brainwashed beyond belief.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,891
    Sure. Gilgamesh, The Odyssey, Trayvon Martin. They all seem to fit together.
  5. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    I believe it has been disclosed (though won't be mentioned in court) from his own text messages that Martin was in that neighborhood to buy a gun that night. I also believe he instigated the physical altercation with Zimmerson and that Zimmerman was acting in self defense... However, Zimmerman also disregarded the police dispatcher's command to not follow Martin. This wasn't Bernhard Goetz blowing away would - be muggers who had approached him first. George was acting like a cop and that line "they always get away" will hurt him... I also agree that Obama should have left this alone and been above the fray but he was manipulated by that five year old pic of Martin as a 12 year old in the red shirt which was exactly the Martin family attorney's intent and why that pic was released to the public and not a recent one. Obama spoke without getting all the facts and it's a good example of his divisive and poor leadership skills. It is an ugly case with no innocent people - nothing but blame to go around.
  6. el_lagarto

el_lagarto Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    what the hell is so EPIC about this?

stupid thug and dumbass cop wannabeee cross paths and ones dead.
    nothing epic about it.

its a short tragic story of 2 people who were too stupid to resist confrontation.

walk away morons, walk. away.
  7. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    I just wanted to point this out in light of the side-discussion on the other thread.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  8. Shade45

Shade45 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,236

Wow.

The 911 operator did not give any commands and wouldn't do so.

TM was in the neighborhood because he was visiting his father.
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    There are tons of cases that I am or would be fascinated by, but the availability of information makes it tedious to try to keep up with most of them. While I do think there was a bit of excess with the coverage of this case, it gave us plenty of access to opinions, "facts," and plausible theories. More importantly, it has given us plenty of insight as to the different perceptions of what type of behavior should be considered socially acceptable (particularly with regard to how or why we might consider someone "suspicious" and how we might consider it acceptable to deal with or approach such a person). I think this case, no matter how it turns out offers a very real example with which we should think about how we deal with, pre-judge, and interact with strangers.

I could do without the racial nonsense. But even the blowhards (no matter which side they seem to support) offer an insight of the mindset of people and how they assess the situation given the information available.

This story is very real to me because I think of it from the perspective of:

- as a resident, how would I assist with looking out for the neighborhood, how far is too far, should I own a gun
    - I've played the role of investigating suspicious activity (I'm not toting a gun around, and I can mingle with the best of 'em), but...
    - I've also heard from a friend and neighbor who was treated disrespectfully, likely on account of his skin color
    - I think of how I would teach my son to act if he were in the "Martin" role, and how I would teach my son to act if he were in the "Zimmerman" role (years away for both, but the thought still crosses my mind)
    - I wonder what role (if any) did the divorce have on molding Martin into who he was

No matter what happened or how this court case played out, we have a few plausible theories of how things may have gone, and we have (hopefully) learned to think of rational ways to address each of these scenarios regardless of which side we might fall on.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  10. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Nevertheless, this case is being used by the LMSM to rally opposition to SYG laws. To do so, they have lied and altered/spliced audio recordings to paint Zimmerman as something he's not. They stirred the pot, as did the race-baiters Sharpton and Jackson all for personal gain.
  11. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Command may not be the right choice of words but the operator did tell Zimmerman to quit following Martin...and Martin had texts on his phone regarding an imminent gun deal, whether that is what was about to go on at that particular time is unclear.
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    No he didn't. He mentioned not needing Zimmerman to do that which is significantly different than telling him to "quit following" Martin. He also asked for information about which way Martin was going. There's a potential conflict of "suggestion" from the dispatcher where he was both suggesting that Zimmerman ease off and he was suggesting that Zimmerman be able to provide additional information.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    And RE: interest, there's the whole SYG law and is it relevant or not relevant as it pertains to the Martin-Zimmerman case

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...our-ground-062513-20130625-12,0,5718631.story

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  14. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    Wes, you're right. This isn't a SYG case, but that didn't stop the LMSM from trying to spin it as a SYG case. The LMSM would like nothing more than having SYG laws watered down or repealed. They don't like the idea of citizens being able to defend themselves like this guy in Atlanta.
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/24/justice/lebron-sneaker-store-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
  15. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,968
    This is the first I've heard of this. Regardless, even if true and verifiable, I'm not sure it's relevant. This is a self-defense argument, not an argument of justifiable homicide (i.e. TM was so potentially awful that GZ did us all a public service, etc). The only thing that matters is whether or not TM physically attacked GZ. If TM did, then it doesn't matter if he was there to give out skittles and iced tea to widows and orphans. If GZ started the fight, then it doesn't matter if TM was there to facilitate an arms deal for baby-eating cannibals. I suppose the only potentially relevant factor of TM being there to buy a gun is if the judge thought it suggested that TM had a violent background and, therefore, that he might have been the type of person who would jump a complete stranger for following him. But the judge has already ruled, so far, that TM's background is not relevant.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but it really is as simple as whether or not the state can prove GZ started the fight. Everything else is white noise.
  16. sappanama

sappanama VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    So if I punch you in the nose, starting a fight, and you pull a knife, I have to let you stab me because I started the fight, I can't shoot you?
  17. uftaipan

uftaipan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,968
    I would rather you didn't shoot me under any circumstance, but consult a lawyer prior to finding out. On another thread, a lawyer (I assume) mentioned that an escalation such as you describe would trigger an ability to defend oneself with deadly force. However, that is not GZ's story. He says TM attacked him without physical provocation.
  18. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,178
    I appreciate the well thought out post, my problem is that all of that information came at the expense of news that actually affects people's lives, mine included. If the court channel wants to cover it 24/7, that's appropriate. But the major networks putting it ahead of such stories as the climate change announcement on two out of three networks (which will affect us all good and bad), the economy(ABC) the attack on American troops in Afghanistan on all three networks among others isn't. It's not news it's a soap opera with a ton of people piggybacking the notoriety to advance agendas. Two minutes worth of reporting would let you ponder how you would want your kids to handle it and larger social issues, it's now been a year of over the top silliness. CNN probably devoted 20 or 30% of their primetime coverage to it last night. And again, it's one of dozens of stories like this happening every day. Someone should start a network that covers the opinions on cases like this, they would make a fortune.