Trauma Centers/Nurse Practitioners

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by QGator2414, Apr 26, 2014.

1. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +518
    Sorry for a two topic thread but this article touches on two intriguing issues to me...

I am hopeful this bill gets passed. Living in a community that is directly affected by the trauma center decision I find it frustrating that some want to take this away from our community. It may not work out in the long run but let us figure that out!

On the Nurse Practitioner front I am a huge proponent knowing some of my MD friends might have some legitimate concerns (which I would love to hear about). I am all for allowing NP's to set up clinics to handle minor issues. As long as they are upfront with how well trained they are let's get this thing rolling...

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/04/24/house-ready-to-pass-health-care-train/
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. brainstorm

brainstorm VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +825
    NP and PA will carry a lot of the load in the future. PA may take less training and be quicker to market, so to speak.
  3. wygator

wygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +786
    There are now several offices in our community that are 100% staffed by nurse practitioners.
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,296
    It's the only solution to the demand for services, and it's only going to expand in the future. I'm all for maximizing the utilization of physician extender professionals, too.
  5. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +545
    MD's are so overrated. So many are jsut glorified drug pusher bought off by Big Pharma.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +518
    I don't agree with this at all. I am sure there are some but this idea that it is a lot is ridiculous and wrong IMO.

That said I am all for NP's and PA's but this same argument will be made against them sadly...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    I recently went to a Minute Clinic at CVS in Vermont. I get sinus infections from time to time. I don't have a doctor here. I can sometimes get over the infection without antibiotics, but it takes forever. So I happened to see "Minute Clinic" here and was curious (in addition to being into month two perpetually stuffed up). They're staffed by "High Quality - certified nurse practitioners and physician assistants who can diagnose, treat and write prescriptions when medically appropriate."

I signed in using a touchscreen kiosk, saw a PA, got my prescriptions (two) sent to the pharmacy there, and was in and out in 20 minutes (not including waiting on the prescriptions, that was another 20 minutes or s0). $89 total. I paid $25 and $5 for each prescription. I was well in a week. Absolutely fantastic. They told me that they aren't very busy and encouraged me to tell people about the experience, which I do.

The reason I hadn't addressed it earlier was due to the trauma of having to find a doctor, apply, make an appointment, wait, go, wait, wait, wait some more, take my prescriptions somewhere, wait some more, then get a crazy bill. I got the exact same solution through Minute Clinic that I get from the doctor, except faster and cheaper. And they really stressed going to see a doctor because I told them the infections are recurring (of course that's what I've been doing already.)

It's ludicrous to go through the doctor gauntlet for a common illness. And no, I have no inherent beef with MD's. It's the system that is absurd and this type of thing is a real answer.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. theorangebluewinagain

theorangebluewinagain Guest Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +215
    We are just going to dummy down the healthcare delivery system for an equally less informed consumer. Good luck, hope the change works out well for you :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +518
    Love it.

While at the same time I am confident I could get in tomorrow for a sinus issue with my doctor whom I have relationship with for reasons other than the common stuff.

This right here is proof that the people do not need to tie up ER's. ER's should charge a mandatory $25 fee to see people for the common stuff. Yes I know there will be some that need to be seen not knowing the severity of the case but it is not going to bankrupt those not on Medicaid to take Emmitto's course of action...
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +518
    I will say I think we should be able to get that $89 part down as well. Was that including prescriptions or not? I took it as perscriptions were separate.
  11. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    No, the $89 was the "visit" only. And I agree, that was still $270/hr. And while my out of pocket would've been the same at a doctor (assuming my insurance didn't get all hijinkery) the total bill would've been more. The bill at the doctor is normally more like $250 and once it was over $500! That last one was a bit wacky and we eventually agreed to reduce it (my insurance wouldn't cover the "surgery"--literally squirting warm water in one ear!) So I was only happy with $89 from a relative standpoint. But I agree, there is plenty of room for improvement there too.
  12. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +518
    Yeah a doctor visit for a GP I would suspect to normally be under $100.

I still struggle with the fact we make someone pay even $89 just to get a perscriptions for the common stuff. I know there is a reason for prescribing the antibiotics but even I am going to hold out like you for the common stuff to try and let it cure itself before I spend $89. Now you get it under $40 and the free amoxicillin at publix and...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +749
    Have you tried a neti pot? It helps mine a lot. Use it about once every 2 weeks. If you use it every day, you raise your infection chance. I use it more often when I have an infection or cold/flu, once every 2 or 3 days until it clears. Always use distilled water. Don't use tap water.
  14. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +455
    I sure do. I use the squeeze bottle. And I do use distilled water. I think it helps, no doubt.
  15. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +660
    People should have more options available to themselves to self-certify and self-diagnose various issues (knowledge bases are much more available now than they ever have been before). You shouldn't have to pay (that's you and your insurance company combined) over $100 for many different types of visits. Certain things should be regulated at the point of distribution (existing prescription meds but also existing non-prescription meds). You take out too much and you'll throw red flags up at your pharmacy as well as with your insurance company.

When I see a doctor, I want to pay for expertise, skill, or both. I don't need to be paying for a service that I could have done myself by doing minimal research online. I would be curious to know how many people are capable of being treated at a much lower level than MD or DO but are paying the premium prices for service.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  16. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +518
    This should be a focus of reforming our healthcare. We do not need more regulation and beauracracy like we got. We need more freedom and working to safely create a market for it would have been a great step...

Well said!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +518
    That said...

You can kill yourself (literally) trying to self diagnose on the internet as well...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,777
    Might as well formalize what is already a fait accompli under our push toward ever more government-centric healthcare. The best people are going to be able to hope for long term is to be seen by an PA, maybe an RN, while hourly employees who did 20 hours at the learning annex do the jobs the RNs were doing. You'll be as like to spend significant time with an MD or DO looking at you as you are a unicorn.
  19. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    There is some truth to what you are saying. As well as the fact that a lot of uninformed people will forego honest "doctors" that have serious concerns or reservations about their health in favor of less educated "nurse providers" who will do just as they say.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Again, true this. It's easier for centralized government to dictate the terms of your care to less educated "providers" who are used to taking orders and who are already used to making less money. If you like calling India when your laptop breaks, you'll love seeing someone for your lupus who didn't even go to medical school.
    • Agree Agree x 1