Transfers

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorSean, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorSean

GatorSean Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +497
    In another thread we were talking about how many and which players have transferred in the last 2 years, so I looked it up:

TEs - Christian, Leonard, and McFarland
    WRs - Dunkley, Clark, Story, and McRoy
    OL - Patchan, Dunker, Mann
    DBs - Jenkins, Shaw, Bailey, Saunders
    DEs - Martin, Trail
    LB - Finely
    RB - Blakely
    QB - Brisset

19 players transfered since 2011 - 12 of them from the offense. We only signed 18 players in the 2011 class... so this is like having an entire class just vanish. In the short term, this is far worse than an sort of scholly reduction from NCAA probation.

We had 3 TEs transfer in a year, then had another one go to the NFL early. I'm not sure most teams even have 4 TEs on scholarship... we lost 4 in one year. We could certainly use 3 extra OLmen as well.

I am not sure we are nearly as talented as some people seem to think we are. But this isn't a defense of Muschamp- I think he could have done a much better job with cohesiveness during his transition, which would have kept some of these players on campus, and in lieu of that he needed to nail his second recruiting class on the offensive side, and he didn't do that either.

Then you add in the injuries... I don't think the results we've seen can be that much of a surprise.

I think we'll be better next year... but this is a heck of a hole to dig out of.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,070
    Some credit has to go to champ for not putting up with any B.S. jenkins was a defensive standout, one of our best db' s in a long time and champ sent him packing, same for dunker, a couple of arrest and champ sent him packing even though he had tons of potential and our olube is in shambles.
    Jenkins said it best, " if meyer was still coach, I'd still be a gator". We know meyer put up with this sort of thing where as champ has put his foot down. Kudos to him for doing whats right regardless if its in his best interest not to.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I think we should have been more patient in transitioning to more of a pro style Offense. Meyer made the same mistake in reverse in 2005 but figured it out midway through the season when he reinserted the TE and the FB into the lineup. We continued with the hybrid through 06. We did not go full spread until 07. By that time, we had the players in place to make it work well. In the meantime, we kept our Offense functional enough that combined with our outstanding Defense, we won a national title.

Trying to do it all in one year in 2011 was like demanding that our players drink from a firehose. Several of them saw no future for themselves and left. We would have been much better off had we held on to some of those guys....and yes I think he pushed the discipline angle too hard too. Just give us back Dunkley and Patchan and Christian and Leonard (or even scratch Leonard if you must) and with 2 extra OT's and 1-2 TE's, the Offense looks vastly better right now.

IMO the difference is that Meyer had been a head coach before and Muschamp had not. Meyer understood better what it took to run a whole program. He was more willing to be more flexible. Maybe he had just had time to have that beaten into him, I dunno. Regardless, this to me helps to illustrate once again why UF should not be hiring first time head coaches. They should learn the hard lessons on somebody else's time (and dime). By the time they come to UF or get a UF job offer, they should be ready to hit the ground running.
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    ^^ Dunkley had domestic violence issues as well so I'll pass on him
  5. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +541
    I will be more interested in who transfers after this year.....
  6. GatorSean

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Well, I don't want this to devolve into another Meyer vs. Muschamp thread, but I'd have to disagree with you (and Janoris). Jenkins was on his third strike when he 'got transferred.' As far as I can remember, Meyer never tolerated a player getting arrested more than 3 times, so to say he 'put up with it' seems pretty unfounded. Marcus Thomas also thought Meyer wouldn't boot him, until he got booted.

I'd also note that Leon Orr has been in trouble with the law four times and is still playing under Champ. Every situation and every player is different, so every punishment dolled out is going to be different.
  7. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    Not to mention, when you throw in the injures, we are barely fielding enough guys who are ready to play SEC football. Look at it this way, would most of these guys start on a GOOD SEC football team?

QB: Murphy (no)
    RB: Brown (no)
    FB: Joyer (yes)
    LT: Humphries (no)
    LG: Garcia (maybe)
    C: Harrison (yes)
    RG: Halapio (maybe)
    RT: Moore (no)
    WR: Patton (maybe)
    WR: Dunbar (no)
    WR: Burton (no)
    TE: Burton (no)

Those are the guys we have played the most on offense this year. One of them was a Muschamp recruit.

Let's be a little patient here.
  8. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    To build off of this, let's look at Missouri:

QB: Franklin (yes)
    RB: Josey (yes)
    FB: N/A
    LT: Britt (yes)
    LG: Copeland (yes)
    C: Boehm (maybe)
    RG: McGovern (maybe)
    RT: Morse (yes)
    WR: Green-Beckham (yes)
    WR: Lucas (yes)
    WR: Washington (yes)
    TE: Waters (maybe)

This isn't some kind of coaching issue. At least not until we've seen if Muschamp can develop his own recruits.
  9. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +348
    I think if Chaz Green and Easley don't get injured, and Dunker doesn't become a thief, that right now our team looks a lot differently. For the most part, we replaced injured players with other good players (Driskel/Murphy, Jones/Brown&Taylor, Debose/Patton), but we had no real replacement for Green, and with Dunker also gone then we were thin along the whole line. Easley is one of a kind and was obviously blowing up opponents' O-lines with regularity, and we have no one on the team who can do what he did.
  10. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +599
    You are wasting your breath, but thanks for putting the obvious in words. Maybe it will turn the lights on for a few in the dark, doubt it. Much easier to whine.
  11. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Good post, but it won't be enough..
  12. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +165
    Interesting point but I'm not sure this will hold true in the long run. Meyer certainly knew how to build one quickly, but it was one the ultimately was built around just a few players and unravelled very quickly. I believe Muschamps vision is a more long term one. Whether or not he'll be around to see it to the end is the question. If he gets there it will be a deeper program talent and character wise that is not dependent on a few players.

Further, the only transfers that set us back are Dunker and the TEs. But these players made their own beds and I credit Champ for putting the program first.

The final point is that Meyer had the advantage of recruiting his QB in his first real class. Muschamp did not have the luxury and instead was forced to hang on to 2 guys that were already in the class. Obviously thy were good talents but certainly not guys hand picked to fit the coach's vision. With these guys on campus Muschamp is forced to wait until year 4 to get his QB on campus and year 5 to watch him play. Hopefully he'll be watching him from the sidelines.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  13. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +388
    Randy Shannon did the same thing at scum as Muschamp did here in trying to clean up a program. It certainly didn't help him more than he would know. Hopefully for Muschamp and us, it works out here.
  14. LTG61

LTG61 Member

Ratings Received:
    +35
    Why did he have to wait? If he didn't think they were a fit, recruit some that he thinks are and tell the guys already here, "you'll get a fair chance to win (and keep) the job if that's what you want. Or, you can transfer. Take a minute and decide."
  15. GatorSean

Ratings Received:
    +497
    Not really... Brissett was solely a Muschamp recruit.
  16. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +266
    Thanks for the research, very telling. Rep to you.

Outside of Christian, is anyone contributing on their teams?
  17. allhailmeyer

allhailmeyer Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +266
    Close. The difference is Meyer is one of the greatest to ever coach.

Maybe its just law of averages, how many teams get 2 of the best ever in such a short period of time? UGA is still looking for Dooley. I dont think Fulmer was much but UT cant find his equal. Bama has Nick but languished for years, Blobby/Jimbo? Hes gonna screw it up. USC post Carroll, we know how that turned out. UCLA, OU, Texas, Nebraska, the list of perennial powers goes on but very few have 2 elite coaches.

LSU is the only equal that comes to mind.

You all keep blaming Meyer but are blinded by your feelings. We have been beyond fortunate.
  18. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +561
    I'm really close to Lynden Trail, he's like family. He is playing well at OLB/DE & also has 2 TD's on offense as a WR/TE. He is currently the projected #17 DE for the 2015 class on nfldraftscouts.com, which is cbssports.com.
  19. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +599
    Good post
  20. UFcody

UFcody Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Where is he playing at? Cool to see he's getting looks at WR/TE

I think Clark is contributing at Louisville and AC Leonard at Tenn St (?). But as far as Leonard is concerned good riddance. We don't need guys around here doing the crap he was. Underage drinking, Weed, and other minor crap like that I can get over (it's still stupid) but Leonard deserved to get a forced transfer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.