Transfers: the anatomy of a fake epidemic

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by REM08, Jul 5, 2013.

1. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    I thought this was a great article that Jay Bilas tweeted out today. Its pretty much about what the title suggests - that player transfers aren't a problem and are really only inconvienent for coaches who "aren't doing their jobs." Its well worth a read. What stuck out to me is that the number of transfers really hasn't gone up that much.

http://coachgeorgeraveling.com/college-basketball-transfers-the-anatomy-of-a-fake-epidemic/

Here's the intro:

I also liked the Calipari plug at the end. I guess I would like that though.
  2. sixoburn

sixoburn Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +13
    Players should be allowed to transfer wherever they want and play immediately. If I coach can do it, a player should be able to.

Can college athletes unionize?

I am surprised that business law and sports don't conflict more. The idea of a draft is so ridiculously illegal in any other field (you have only one job opportunity among 30+ employers, take it or else go to a different country) I do wonder if someone will eventually sue. (Laws can be changed, so I imagine if this ever did happen congress would pass some kind of exemption).
  3. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Excellent points sixo. It is pretty clear for who the rules are designed to serve.

Thanks REM - yes - there is absolutely nothing unusual about transferring. As Cliff Adleman makes quite clear in "The Toolbox Revisited" some 60% of those who obtain college degrees today attend at least two different colleges/universities on the way to that diploma: http://knowledgecenter.completionbydesign.org/resource/125
  4. grizgator

grizgator Member

Ratings Received:
    +10
    Rather than read the entire article (sportswriters usually present very flawed arguments, I find), I'll comment on the quote above and some of the responses.

A few points to be made (although I can certainly see varying points of view on transfers):
    1) If an athletic department denies a transfer release request, there is a hearing opportunity and those hearings are handled by individuals or groups outside of athletics. I have presided over several myself. So student-athletes do have options - sometimes they win their appeal, sometimes not.
    2) No school can prevent a kid from transferring - he or she makes a choice. Sometimes there are financial aid implications. Sometimes the student must sit out a year of competition. Life has consequences.
    3) I agree that "rate of transfer" has not reached an epidemic level. However, what would the transfer rate be if a year in residence was NOT required for football and basketball? How much poaching would occur? How much more of an influence would wealthy boosters have in trying to lure a S-A from one school to another? Not that any of this, by itself, supports the current rules, but they are factors. There is a real (and understandable) concern about there being "free agency" if the transfer rules on football and basketball were eliminated all together.
    4) The NCAA has recently conducted a study on transfers and the impact of transferring on academic progress and graduation. There are concerns, particularly in basketball.
    5) Unfortunately, S-A transfer often has more to do with lack of immediate playing time than any other reason. Today's kids are very impatient - IMO, they need to understand consequences of the choices they make.
    6) Understand that while the casual fan may note care, universities make a significant investment in a recruited student-athlete, particularly in football and men's basketball. Who wants their "investment" to walk out the door? Remember, regardless of what anyone says, a PSA commits to a University, not a coach. Anyone who commits solely to a coach is rather foolish.
    7) The NCAA Division I Leadership Council is currently studying transfer issues and is considering adding an academic nexus to transfer rules.

Other related comments:

8) I personally hate "1 and dones." I think they have no place in athletics. I wish basketball would be more like baseball. Draft a kid out of HS. If he decides not to sign, but goes to a DI school, then he can't be drafted until he's a junior. I think it would eliminate several of the kids who ONLY attend college to play basketball.
    9) As much as I love collegiate athletics, it really has gotten way, way too over-empasized at many schools, given the educational mission of the institutions at which they operate. So many fans express "concern" about student-athletes being "abused" and lobby for them to be paid. Yeah, OK. Not going to get into it too deeply (they already get "paid" in so many ways). However, I am more concerned about the students who worked very hard to earn great grades and get into a good university. How many of them get full scholarships (including tuition, room, board, books, medical care, tutoring, travel, incidentals, etc.)? Some student-athletes just don't understand the value of what they receive. Trying being a non-athlete student. Sometimes we feel too sorry for S-A, as hard as I agree that they work, that we lose sight of what the pursue of a University is supposed to be.....and of the average student who attends the University.

OK, off my soap box now. All of that said, I still enjoy collegiate competition at its best. I just don't like all that comes with it these days.
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    I suspect that one could make the transfer rate among the overall student population sound like an epidemic. Not to mention the dropout rate. It's always been the case.