Trademark board rules against Redskins name

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by dadx4, Jun 18, 2014.

1. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    Ah, so they conceived of a new view of rights that were different from the rights that they had under English rule and culture which they found not fully suited for their lives and cultural conditions, but then contrived to establish rights that would be locked in forever, no matter how much the culture might change or these rights dont reflect the lives and cultural conditions of the present. So the revolution was basically an excercise in hypocrasy in your view.
  2. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    If people werent injured in some manner, there would be no need for a civil justice system.
  3. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,058
    the funny thing to me in all the liberal gobbidally gook pc bullchit is Snyder will probably prevail with his appeal
  4. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    We agree on something. Congratulations.
  5. reformedgator

reformedgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +191
    So now the Redskin organization & their fans are painted as racists? I wonder if their players are aware of this.
  6. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I read this 3 times. I do not see how your last sentence fits with what I wrote.
  7. TheRaid

TheRaid VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    I am not going to argue with you about the need for America, or the virtues of American civil rights. It is long established and there is no point in arguing with anyone about it. To put it simply, the Founding Fathers sought to establish a system free from tyranny. To call it hypocritical simply because they did so in their context of being victims of tyranny, or because they sought to setup a system that preserves its citizens from tyranny using their authority to do so, is simply absurd. The irony is that our government is becoming more tyrannical every day, and more so under the current administration than probably any era in our history.
  8. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,853
    Problem is, unless a billboard fell on them, nobody has been injured by the Redskins name in anyway by which they can recover in civil court. And by "problem", I mean "duh, thank God".
  9. thedude60

thedude60 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +460
    Hope Snyder does prevail. If he doesn't is Harry Reid going to take care , from his pocket the over 100 high schools nicknamed REDSKINS,, I looked it up from Apaches to Comanches, and found over 175 schools who are "dissing" Native Americans.....Lets get real, what is a Redskin? It is not an Indian Tribe. It is someone with red skin , which I have all summer long,,,,and that's a liberal 1st down rant..
  10. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    I know to take Beck with a grain of salt...

But can anyone dispute this?

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +777
    There is little doubt in my mind that this problem came about because "white people" chose to be offended on behalf of another group of people. These white people taught some of the Native Americans to be offended by the term, and it apparently stuck with some folks. As a Bears fan, I've disliked the Redskins ever since they stole Wilber away from us in the 80's (brief exception when they had Spurrier and even Danny for a little bit), but they are quickly gaining favor with me due to all this nonsense. All I want to know is why the Oklahoma Seminoles can't have their claim of being offended honored as it pertains to the SWAC.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +544
    Yeah, George Marshall refutes some of it. He changed it to avoid confusion with the Boston Braves but still be able to keep the established mascot/insignia.

[​IMG]

The 90% poll was 768 people self-identifying as "Indian". I'm not as comfortable as Glenn in unequivocally concluding that 90% of NATIVE AMERICANS (he never uses redskins except in its corporate form--weird, since he is so sure they're honored by it) approve.

In fact, Snyder never refers to Native Americans as redskins either. I guess he only honors them on merchandise and in other revenue producing streams. You'd think Glenn and Snyder would drop all the PC crap and just go with "redskins" full time.

A doubter could probably get a firm idea of the term's status by going to a nearby reservation and honoring the first few NA's they encounter by greeting them with it.

I do happen to agree with with many NA's who say it's not at the top of the priority list though, like the Onondaga in New York:

Or the Dann sisters in Nevada who can't keep Bundy and the BLM from squatting on their land. They probably have a few higher priorities too (actually there's only one left, the other died.)

But it's all really moot anyway. Washington might be the most valuable franchise in the NFL, but they're only a fraction of the whole. Whatever NFL Money says will determine if the name is changed or not. Snyder isn't in control. If the bottom line starts to suffer, that name will be changed. If not, it's good to go. Goodell already set the stage for keeping it, so the bean counters must not anticipate a problem yet. As long as that's the case then the name is safe.
  13. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
  14. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,008
    Of course he will because the law is on his side.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    Good find on the head coach part.
  16. g8trjax

g8trjax Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    [​IMG]
  17. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,148
    If the name Redskins go, how far behind is the Chiefs, Braves, Indians, Blackhawks, or Seminoles?
  18. g8orbill

g8orbill Gators VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,058
    http://dailycaller.com/2014/06/18/12-trademarks-declared-less-offensive-than-redskins/

here are a few from the article:

Here are twelve other trademarked names that apparently didn’t come up on anyone’s offense radar.

Figgas over Niggas: This pending trademark seeks to cover a line of “Apparel for dancers, namely, tee shirts, sweatshirts, pants, leggings, shorts and jackets.” “Niggas,” of course, is a slang version of the word “nigger,” a term considered highly offensive towards black Americans.

Kraut Kap: Another recently-filed trademark, this one for a line of plastic lids. “Kraut” was made famous in World War II as a derogatory term for opposing German soldiers, as well as Germans in general.

Dago Swagg: A label created for a line of clothing. ”Dago” is a corruption of the common name Diego, and is used in English-speaking countries as an offensive term for those of Italian descent, and occasionally people from other Mediterranean countries as well.

Cracka Azz Skateboards: Unsurprisingly, this trademark was taken out for a line of skateboards and longboards, as well as associated clothing such as bandannas. While the USPTO helpfully notes that “The wording ‘cracka azz’ has no meaning in a foreign language,” “cracka” is a slang version of “cracker,” which in this context is a term of derision for whites, used primarily within the black community.
  19. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,588
    File a cancellation petition (or an opposition petition for ones that are pending) if you have a problem with them.
  20. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,574
    I'm glad the daily caller took time to explain what "Niggas" was slang for.
    • Funny Funny x 1