Tough week for the Gators

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFreak, Feb 22, 2014.

1. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +695
    Hill adds a wrinkle to the game that gives opponents fits. Just when they've gotten used to the Wilbekin/Frasier II game, Hill comes in and is suddenly the quickest guy on the floor.
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813
    3 of our last 4 games have been on the road at Knoxville, Lexington, and Oxford and they won them all...that is a difficult stretch for anyone.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,442
    We are a tired team with a couple of players hurt / playing hurt. These were two games our NCAA championship teams probably would have lost (at the same point in the season, tired and injured, after big road wins against UK and the Vols).

As manigordo said, this team is tough as hell, and as the OP noted, our tough weeks are good weeks.

Before the tourney we'll get some rest and get our legs back. We'll be fine.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  4. bullg8tor

bullg8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    NEVER apologize or be disappointed with a conference road win. We have literally taken every teams BEST SHOT in the last 5 games or so, and the result is no doubt contributing a bit to the fatigue factor. No we aren't perfect, but show me a perfect team.

Your comment about turnovers must come with a grain of salt. Check out our previous 5 games and the assist/turnover ratio. There is no team on this planet that can play like that every time they step on the court. Be careful not to nitpick too much, or you might just miss the thrill of watching a great team play. This is a special team, enjoy each win, and the time these guys have playing together.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member GC Staff VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,234
    Perspective- Gators are coming to the end of a 4 of 5 road series against some of our more emotionally needed wins (UT-UK and Ole Miss) Three months ago we probably would have been happy with 3-2 or 2-3
    • Agree Agree x 8
  6. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +307
    We are Florida. Everyone and I mean everyone gives us their A+ game. I'm tickled we won this game. Hopefully Patric can get some rest. Agree other freshman need to step up and get some meaningful game time. Go Gators!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,144
    Last two games we are missing Hill with others hurt. If we worry about anything, it's overconfidence and that shouldn't be a problem with the last two games creating doubt in casual observers. I'm enjoying every minute and this team is a pleasure to watch. Gators should be proud of every player on this team - Donovan is just simply amazing in what he has done - exceeding our already sky high expectations with coaching and recruiting for what looks like years of dominance for this program.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    We played well in both games. So did our opponents.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,120
    Agreed. This was a very losable game. Auburn should not have been. We had great shooting performances from Frazier, Wilbekin, and Walker, overcome an unconscious first half from Henderson, and beat a competitive Ole Miss team in a tough venue with another clutch late performance. This was essentially a tournament game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dangolegators

dangolegators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +851
    I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but winning at Ole Miss is never ugly. I'm very impressed with this win, when the pressure is on UF to win and be #1, and when Ole Miss is desperate for a quality win. To me this game had potential loss written all over it. Very impressive win.
  11. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    What I saw was A LOT of hacking going on in the lane and blind officials. Prather got mugged all game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bullg8tor

bullg8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    I too saw that, but what's so unique (to me) about this team, is that nothing has truly rattled them yet. It's like they have this quiet confidence about them. I wouldn't call it cockiness, more like.......swagger. As cliche' as that is, I see it in this team, hence why it is so sweet that these guys stay around and build that confidence in each other. Anyone who has ever played a "team" game, knows this feeling. And the exact reason why it's nice to root against a "tool" like Henderson, who will never understand what t-e-a-m means.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GeauxGators05

GeauxGators05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    It was set up to be a tough week in any event. Auburn's strength is quick guards who shoot the lights out. Ole Miss has a fairly good shooting guard as well. We were a key guard down in both games. The young guys on the bench gave us key minutes with Devon Walker really stepping up. We won on the road in a tough environment and move on. I'll take that every week.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JoeP

JoeP New Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    both games were not great. sloppy play in both games offensively. they are out of synch in their offensive sets. they aren't moving well without the ball, spacing has been bad, passing has been horrible, not playing with any assertiveness. defense and free throws got us through those two games.
  15. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +622
    It has been tougher on our opponents.....we won both games.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. fox

fox Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,350
    A lot of nice posts.

I will add that with such a tough, veteran team - I won't be surprised to see them get a second or third wind in the tournament and will be thrilled to see them take it up a notch.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    At this point in the season where guys are starting to feel the wear and tear of the season and their getting everyone's best shot, it's actually impressive that we've been able to beat 4 capable teams, 3 of them on the road.

I would say the only disappointing thing during this stretch is that we haven't been able to build much of a comfortable lead so Billy really hasn't had an opportunity to throw Chris Walker into the fire. I was really hoping we could get him some minutes in one of these games but the opportunity just hasn't presented itself.
  18. 08gatorbait

08gatorbait Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    I agree. Though unfortunately without Hill he is kind of useless offensively but I thought he positioned himself very well on defense today. What we really need is to get both of them some steroids and get them bulky lol
  19. GatorRade

GatorRade Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,181
    Unlike the Auburn game, the Ole Miss game was on my major threats list. Six down, one to go.

@Arky - check
    @Bama - check
    UT - check
    @UT - check
    @UK - check
    @Ole Miss - check
    UK

Approx KenPom odds of going undefeated in these games:
    Odds from start: 1.6%
    Updated odds after @Arky victory: 2.7%
    Updated odds after @Bama victory: 4.0%
    Updated odds after Tenn victory: 10.0%
    Updated odds on Feb 8th: 5.4%
    Updated odds after @Tenn victory: 23.2%
    Updated odds after @UK victory: 60.8%
    Updated odds after @Miss victory: 75%

Approx KenPom odds of going undefeated in SEC:
    After @UK victory: 39.0%
    After @Miss victory: 45.5%
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Zepgator

Zepgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +403
    These last two teams we really should have blown out. I agree we look exhausted, Patrick's knees are terrible and with Hill out, Scotty doesn't get enough rest but.... at least Finney-Smith hit a 3 pointer!