Tough Read: Soldier's Suicide Note

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorAbe7, Jul 6, 2013.

1. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,951
    I know you're just stating your opinion, no worries. I'm just saying if only to the persons family and no one else, this almost always feels completely selfish.
  2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,357
    Sorry, he should have just bucked up and meditated or gone jogging. Would have cured everything. I know this because I know everything.:angry:
  3. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    in my post you refer to , I was not saying that PTSD was the illness afflicting him that led to his suicide. I was merely pointing out that PTSD occurs in some people and doesn't in others despite being exposed to same combat conditions.

What afflicted him could have been due to primarily PTSD. Since there is a bit of a range of ways in which PTSD is manifested in a person's behavior

It could also have been due to drugs(don't recall whether or not that was ruled out by Autopsy)

It could have been due to other psych condition(s) that also occur in people. With some people cracking under prolonged combat conditions, while other people do not

It could also be a combination of any of the above(or other factors). All to often in today's blame games people tend to prefer to point finger at a single causative factor...When in many instances things are due to multiple factors, illnesses, etc

Or a number of other reasons---
    ----evil sinner and nothing else per some posters
    ----woke up one day and decided to check out

people grow up differently and by they become adult they are either well equipped in terms of coping mechanisms to deal with stresses of life....or they aren't

If the above is unreasonable consider the following
    ---why do parents over the decades want their children to be well rounded socially, intellectually, emotionally, physically---it is because people who are well rounded tend to do better than people who are not.
    ---why do parents over the decades(or longer) want their children to participate in sports, scouting, 4H, etc?
    ---why does Coast Guard Academy(and possibly other military academies) have a point system as part of their admission process with an applicant being required to have at least a minimal number of points. And that there are points not just a minimum from academics, but points are also gained from lettering in one or more sports, being member of various clubs, groups in HS(debate club, science club, etc), etc.

In terms of dealing with life's stresses people can utilize a wide range of coping skills. But only if the person has developed those skills early in life. Some people rely on just one or two coping skills and have not developed other coping skills. If later in life their one or two coping skills they've relied upon up until then fail----that person basically cracks psychologically. The more coping skills a person has developed and relied upon while growing up the higher the likelihood the person won't crack under life's stresses(though nothing is 100%).

There are both negative coping skills(ones that have real risk of getting person in trouble in times of stress, though the negative skill may get the person thru minor stressors of life). There are also positive coping skills. And that a person who utilizes a wide range of these will tend to not crack under stress)

http://adsg.syix.com/articles/stress/copingskills.htm

negative coping skills---please note that some of these are quick fixes that people tend to use to avoid having to deal with something or take to give them added energy/speed/alertness during times of stress. Also note that some such as denial are also part of normal processes(such as grieving-but if prolonged or relied upon to heavily result in major consequences later). Just to have some fun---look at the posts on the message board and see what coping skills it appears posters tend to favor when dealing with an issue.

"Alcohol (Drink to change your mood. Use alcohol as your friend)
    Denial (Pretend nothing is wrong. Lie. Ignore the problem)
    Drug Use (Abuse coffee/aspirin/medications. Illegal drug use.)
    Fault finding (Have a judgmental attitude. Complain. Criticize.)
    Illness (Develop headaches/nervous stomach/major illness. Become accident-prone.
    Indulging (Stay up late, sleep in. Buy on impulse. Waste time.)
    Passivity (Hope it gets better. Procrastinate. Wait for lucky break)
    Revenge (Get even. Be sarcastic. Talk mean)
    Stubbornness (Be rigid. Demand your way. Refuse to be wrong.)
    Tantrums (Yell, mope, pout, swear. Drive recklessly)
    Food (Binging. Go on a diet. Use food to console yourself, ice cream, chocolate, comfort foods, etc.)
    Smoking (Smoke to relieve tension. Smoke to be "in".)
    Withdraw (Avoid the situation. Skip school or work. Keep feelings to self.)
    Worrying (Fret over things. Imagine the worse)"

positive coping skills
    "Diversions:
    Breathing (Breathing is the easiest to learn and provides the fastest results!)
    Getaways (Spend time alone. See a movie. Daydream.)
    Hobbies (Write. Paint. Remodel. Create something.)
    Learning (Take a class. Read. Join a club.)
    Music (Play a instrument. Sing. Listen to your stereo.)
    Play (play a game. Goof off. Go out with friends.)
    Work (Tackle a new project. Keep busy. Volunteer.)
    Laughing
    Hugs
    Pets (Pet Therapy. Pet therapy can be very helpful to adults and children. If using this to help a child, make sure the child is supervised at all times with a pet. Never leave a child alone with a pet. In an unsupervised situation the child could easily become stressed and hurt the pet.)

Family:
    Balancing (Balance time at work and home. Accept the good and the bad.)
    Conflict Resolution (Look for win/win solutions. Forgive readily.)
    Esteem Building ( Build good Family feelings. Focus on personal strengths.)
    Flexibility ( Take on a new Family roles. Stay open to change.)
    Networking (Developing friendships with other families. Make use of the community resources.)
    Togetherness (Take time to be together. Build family traditions. Express affection.)

Body:
    Along with improving your ability to relax, you must assess diet and other strains on your body.
    Exercise (Pursue physical fitness, job, swim, dance, or walk. Aerobic exercise can reduce anxiety up to 50%)
    Good nutrition (a well balanced diet will improve your ability to appropriately respond to stress.)
    Sleep (Get an adequate amount of rest each night.)
    Caffeine (Reducing caffeine intake will help you manage your anxiety. 2 ½ cups of coffee doubles the epinephrine level).

Interpersonal:
    Affirmation (Believe in yourself. Trust others. Give compliments.)
    Assertiveness (State your needs and wants. Say "no" respectfully.)
    Contact (Make new friends. Touch. Really listen to others.)
    Limits (Accept other's boundaries. Drop some involvement.)
    Linking (Share problems with others. Ask for support from family and friends.)

Mental:
    Imagination (Look for the humor. Anticipate the future.)
    Life planning (set clear goals. Plan for the future.)
    Organizing (Take charge. Make order. Don't let things pile up.)
    Problem Solving (Solve it yourself. Seek outside help. Tackle problems.)
    Relabeling (Change perspectives. Look for good in a bad situation.)
    Time Management ( Focus on top priorities. Work smarter.)

Physical:
    Biofeedback (Listen to your body. Know your physical limitations.)
    exercise (Pursue physical fitness. Jog, swim, dance, or walk.)
    Nourishment (Eat for health. Limit the use alcohol.)
    Relaxation (tense and relax each muscles. Take a warm bath. breath deeply.)
    Self-Care (Energize your work and play. Strive for self-improvement.)
    Stretching (take short stretch breaks through out your day.)

Spiritual
    Commitment (Take up a worthy cause. Say "yes." Invest yourself meaningfully.
    Faith (Find purpose and meaning. Trust God.
    Prayer (Confess. Ask forgiveness. pray for others. Give thanks.
    Surrender (Let go of problems. Learn to live with situations.)
    Valuing (Set priorities. Be consistent. Spend time and energy wisely.
    Worship (Share beliefs with others. Put faith into action.)

The above are techniques that are reliable stress relievers without the negative side effects. These skills can be used over and over again for a variety of stressful situations.

Thing is---we tend to utilize a combination of negative and positive coping mechanisms/skills.

please note that none of the coping skills include attempting to force your point of view(or belief system0 upon others---we share and we also respect others.

Despite my being a deist instead of a theist I readily acknowledge that for the most part that religions provide a valuable framework in which to gain coping skills. But beware...there are some who carry it in ways that can end up being negative coping skills. Religions are excellent environment providing a structured approach to gaining coping skills.
  4. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,357
    Nonsense. You just need to listen to the people in here who know everything instead of wasting time formulating opinions that differ from theirs.
  5. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,771
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +734
    This is where I have changed. That said and as I said before...the act is still selfish.
  7. northgagator

northgagator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I admit that some people who toke their own lives may of been narcissistic and committed a selfish act.

However I believe that the bulk of of people who toke their own lives suffer prolonged bouts of depression. Prolong periods of depression can screw up the brain chemistry. When that happens the person is fighting their demons with one or not arms behind their backs.

Yes there is medication but those magic pills sometimes do not work by themselves. Many of the items that Old listed need to be included.

Medication takes time and effort for the sick person and the the ones that care about them. Unfortunately some of the sick peopl are too week or f'ed up and the people around them don't care. A lot of these people fall through the cracks and eventually no amount if help can fix them.
  8. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,129
    And no offense, sometimes you can do everything right - medications, therapy, etc - and it might still not work. There are a myriad of anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and others out there. Some are used off label for other things, like neuropathic pain...other times psychiatrists will use seizure medications as anti-depressants, vice versa...add to that the fact that each person's chemistry is different by itself and in combination with other medications.

I was on a popular antidepressant that was "easy to tolerate" and would make me feel "good as new". I ended up trying to kill myself. Another one I went on made me see spiders crawling on my skin I chit you not.

It takes years sometimes to find the right combination, and in the meantime you might make the problem worse depending on the medication being tried.

As for therapy, went to 4. Were not interested in talking to me, just wanted to hand me some prescriptions and move on to their next patients. Gave up and just started praying and going back to church, which worked better :)
  9. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Great stuff! Thanks for posting it.
  10. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,771
    Sorry, but I'm not buying it. The way that guy handled his experiences was a function of his nature and character. And that nature and character was delusional, paranoid, and grandiose. For my money I say bipolar.
    • Like Like x 1