Tough Read: Soldier's Suicide Note

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by GatorAbe7, Jul 6, 2013.

1. GatorAbe7

GatorAbe7 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    On June 10th Daniel Somers committed suicide.

He left a very harrowing note, and, though awful it is, it does the tragic task of outlining the psychology of the war-damaged veteran.

"I am sorry that it has come to this."
  2. LittleBlueLW

LittleBlueLW Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +986
    Pathetic and sad. Blaming everyone else no wonder he was miserable. God bless his soul and his surviving family.
  3. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    TLDR

I have very little patience for people who commit suicide. Without going into the details, I have been directly impacted by a suicide in my family(my dad). I usually cannot see how people can just take their life and give everyone else their pain. It's completely selfish and the act of a coward.

With that said, I don't really know how to feel about soldiers who have very severe PTSD in regards to suicide. I think these guys are living with some true demos and if there is no cure or help available, what can you do?
  4. Minister_of_Information

Minister_of_Information I'm your huckleberry Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +968
    He had other problems besides George W. Bush.
  5. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    "I have very little patience for people who commit suicide. Without going into the details, I have been directly impacted by a suicide in my family(my dad). I usually cannot see how people can just take their life and give everyone else their pain. It's completely selfish and the act of a coward."

you might want to look into why the Catholic Church has changed its stance on suicide. They changed their long standing policy of considering it a mortal sin to commit suicide. However, with greater knowledge thru science revealing the depression, etc of the person that leads to the final act of killing oneself. The Catholic Church now has the stance that the person who commits suicide is not a sinner(due to committing suicide) but that the person was a deeply troubled, emotionally/psychological ill person.

Many people who commit suicide do it to relieve themselves of suffering tremendously. I find it sad that some are more concerned(selfish) about the 'feelings', etc of people left behind than they feel grief at how a person can be so troubled and mentally ill that the only thing they believed that could relieve their suffering was suicide.

The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives." However, the catechism points out that, "Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide." The Catholic Church used to state that suicide was a sin, and that persons committing suicide could not have a Catholic service and burial. However, the Church has since changed this point of view.

I find it sad that many religions prefer to look on a person as a sinner rather than as a person who has thru extreme conditions lost hope, faith, etc. to the point that the person sees suicide as the only relief of suffering. Is such a person deserving of hate, etc or should we be relieved that the person has left this vale of tears and is now in God's loving hands.

The first four of the 5 stages of the grieving process are extremely self centered in regard to the person grieving.

with the person going thru grief essentially having thought processes for the stages of grief the same or similar to example listed next to the stages below
    1. Denial----the person who died was not taken away(or took himself) from 'me'.
    2. Anger--how dare so and so commit suicide and leave 'me' having to deal with .......
    3. Bargaining--please, I'll do anything so that so and so can be brought back to 'me'.
    4. Depression---I'm so sad so and so died and left 'me' to deal with........
    5. Acceptance

Reaching this stage of mourning is a gift not afforded to everyone. Death may be sudden and unexpected or we may never see beyond our anger or denial. It is not necessarily a mark of bravery to resist the inevitable and to deny ourselves the opportunity to make our peace. This phase is marked by withdrawal and calm. This is not a period of happiness and must be distinguished from depression.

Loved ones that are terminally ill or aging appear to go through a final period of withdrawal. This is by no means a suggestion that they are aware of their own impending death or such, only that physical decline may be sufficient to produce a similar response. Their behavior implies that it is natural to reach a stage at which social interaction is limited. The dignity and grace shown by our dying loved ones may well be their last gift to us. In the matter of suicides this gift is not given from the dead person to friends and family. So the matter of coming to terms/acceptance is very difficult in matters of suicide. It does help if we view the person as a sick person rather than as an evil person.

Coping with loss is a ultimately a deeply personal and singular experience — nobody can help you go through it more easily or understand all the emotions that you’re going through. But others can be there for you and help comfort you through this process. The best thing you can do is to allow yourself to feel the grief as it comes over you. Resisting it only will prolong the natural process of healing.

Forgiveness is not so much for the other person but more for the person doing the forgiving.

I hope I was not too blunt in this post as I understand from your post that you are still uncomfortable with suicide death of a person close to you. I hope that you find peace in the matter so as to not retain whatever anger or bitterness you may have towards the person who died.

If you are Christian you might find some solace in the St Francis prayer
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,083
    I have never thought a person who commits suicide could do so in what we would normally consider a sane state of mind. Depression is a horrible thing and having suffered a severe bout of it years ago I know it can just wear you down after awhile.
  7. oldgator

oldgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    There was a song years ago by Terry Jacks that addresses grief in a way that may help people who are having difficulty dealing with a death.

Seasons in the Sun
  8. gator_in_georgia

gator_in_georgia Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395
    What a selfish act. He is gone and now his family is left to pick up the pieces. Right now the Army has so many resources to help Soldiers get through their issues.
  9. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Pop diagnosis: the guy seemed bipolar or BPD to me, yes they have a much higher incidence of suicide.
  10. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +933
    I would imagine most people who kill themselves know they are going to hurt others by doing so, but they also realize that after having done so it won't matter to them. You can't feel guilty or sad or anything once you're dead.
  11. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170
    It's clear from the responses here and on the website that the greatest tragedy of his life was the extra hour or so of pain he endured in order to write such an insightful note that would have zero effect on most who read it.
  12. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +968
    There are other interpretations.

13. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Spare me. Many men have trod the same paths he did and worse, never complained, never killed themselves, and do not agree with a word of what he wrote.
  14. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +746
    So all of you who call him selfish would rather him suffer for your sake than have him ease his suffering? Tell me who's the selfish one?
  15. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +433
    Still, as many soldiers commit suicide EVERY DAY as children killed in Sandy Hook. Sobering statistic.

What's even more sobering is the same entity will oversee Obamacare - the government. If they cannot handle fewer than 2 million government employees, how will they handle 330 Million people?
  16. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170
    It's interesting how people always think they have the cure for other people's demons, isn't it? He just needed to buck up and learn to sleep like a baby after the atrocities he committed and witnessed in Caesar's name.
  17. Minister_of_Information

Ratings Received:
    +968
    Maybe he just needed to take his lithium.
  18. GatorJeff

GatorJeff Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    "Goodbye my friend, it's hard to die
    When all the birds are singing in the sky"
  19. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +492
    My views on suicide have changed 180 degrees in the last 10 years. People who claim that you can pop a pill or just suck it up have no clue the pain and suffering people endure . Its easy to sit at your keyboard with limited exposure to some of the most horrendous experiences the human mind can fathom and pass judgement on someone who thinks the only way to find peace is to take their own life.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. PacificBlueGator

PacificBlueGator Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I realize this is probably not relevant or have any significance, but I found it odd the last paragraph in his letter was written in past tense, having indicated he killed himself with the same expertise he killed others.