Tough Mudder...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ATL_Gator, Feb 6, 2012.

1. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    anyone done it?
  2. amangator08

amangator08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Some friends did the one in Tampa back in December. I'm planning to do it, but I wasn't quite ready for the recent events. Is the one in GA this month, or was it in January?
  3. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    not sure. I am thinking about doing one in Colorodo with some friends. Will see, a lot of other things need to line up between now and then.

Curious if anyone had done it before.

Saw a clip of one obstacle where you crawl through a box for a long way and with some curves/angles. Pucker factor is a little high on that one for me from the clips.. I don't do so well in tight spaces. LOL.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Thread on the pub about it, I think some mentioned doing one. I know people who did the one in Colorado last year. Had a good time.

Whats the other one that is similar?
  5. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    There is Warrior Dash, which is a 3 mile course. The clips I have seen of that one people run it dressed up as goofy stuff (optional).
  6. dylan383

dylan383 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I really want to do one of these someday!
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Gotcha, I knew there were two and one was harder than the other. Sounds like the Tough Mudder is the more challenging one.

Honestly, I think these things would be fun but I hate being wet or dirty so I dont think I could do it.
  8. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,457
    But what if the girls who run with you get wet and dirty ?
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    That is the upside to it all. Thankfully, I get my fill of dirty wet girls by spending most of my summer at music festivals.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Lucky you guys have a TM coming into town. There is one coming into Nebraska in 2013, but not this summer. I think I'm going to go to Warrior Dash and will let you guys know how it went.
  11. bigDgator

bigDgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Warrior Dash was fun. Not too big of a deal at only 5k. Tough Mudder is 10 miles and tougher obstacles. I haven't done it.
  12. whiskeygator

whiskeygator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    I was at the last Warrior Dash in Tampa and I will be running in the one next December in Tampa with my son (Saturday, 10:30 wave). The course is long 10 to 13 miles and has great obstacles. I also ran the Warrior Dash in Lake Wales with my daughter. WD was a 5k with fun obstacles.
    The thing that struck me most in both races is the comaraderie shared among all the runners. You will feel good about being you and sharing the moment with many other people who feel the same way about themselves. Many people run in costumes which adds to the zaniness of the event.
    You will become dirty and wet. A sound race strategy is to find a group of attractive females that run at your pace or slightly faster and follow them to each obstacle. It is kind of like a cross country wet T shirt contest. The miles will fly by if you employ this simple strategy.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    Seems like another one of these things pops up everyday.

http://www.savagerace.com/

Might be another option for those of you that like this stuff and want to see what they have to offer. The Central Florida race is next weekend, and it looks like they have a few more coming up.
  14. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Yeah, I think I saw yet another one as well, though it may have been the one you listed there.

I think the tough mudder in June isn't going to happen for me. Cost of event + plane flight is just too much at this point, and we have several other things that are a higher priority at the moment. I was talking to a buddy of mine at my church who likes to run these things, and he is doing one in North Carolina in October that I may now do, especially if they are driving to it instead of flying. He also said he will probably do the one in Tampa in December as well (he loves doing these).
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +399
    I think I finally found the one for me.

http://runforyourlives.com/

Zombie infested 5K. Since I am already in training for the zombies to rise this seems like the most practical of all the runs.
  16. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Anyone else running the TM in Sarasota tomorrow? Pretty excited, hopefully I can finish the damn thing, lol.

Got a group of five friends doing it, wish me luck!
  17. whiskeygator

whiskeygator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    So GatoRella, how did the Tough Mudder go for you? I had run the Warrior Dash with my daughter earlier in the year and finished the year with running the Tough Mudder in Sarasota with my son last week. We ran the 10 am heat on Saturday and had a blast.
    For me it is a way to stay connected with my kids (both Gator grads) on a physical level. I am currently 62 and want my children to remember that Dad can still hang in there.
    I am curious to hear what obstacles you thought were the hardest and most interesting?
  18. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Whiskey we had an absolute blast! We were supposed to start at 11:40 but didnt start till after 1 pm due to the amount of traffic. Must have been 20,000+ there on Saturday so traffic was crazy as was the party at the end.

As far as the course/obstacles I though it was very well put together. The only one I found particularly challenging was the wounded warrior carry. My sister doesn't weight all that much but we didn't switch, and after already running 8-9 miles it was kind of tough. The Arctic Enema is something I will never forget, couldn't feel anything after I got out. And I thought the electric shock at the end was going to just numb my skin for a second. Boy was I wrong, it almost knocked me off my feet!

Im the one in the black shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all we had a fantastic time, we stayed in Siesta Key which was nice as well. We actually signed up for the one in May which is just north of the Ocala National Forest and only about 40 min away from Gainesville.

Major Kudos for completing that course at 62, you should feel damn good about yourself!
  19. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    I was going to make a thread, but then I saw this one was already going. They are having one in May in Palatka. I'm really thinking about going. Anyone else?

@GatoRella, My biggest challenge would be the run. If it's 10-12 miles long, with 25 obstacles, there should be plenty of opportunities to catch your breath while waiting at the obstacles, correct? Also, I might go with a group with varying physical abilities, were there any walkers on the course?
  20. GatoRella

GatoRella Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    Yea we have a crew going to the one in May, its at a Mud Boggin place so it should be epic.

We didn't have to wait at any obstacles besides the one where you jump off the platform into the water (safety reasons). But the truth is you can make it as hard as you want it to be. We ran it, but I would say the majority (70%) of the people did a mix of run/walk, or just straight walked the whole thing. Certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and there is no pressure.

Its not a race, it is about teamwork and helping your team members complete it.