Top surprise players/newcomers this year

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by HungaryGator, Aug 31, 2013.

1. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    1. DE Brian Cox - heard plenty of talk about Alex McCallister and he may indeed turn out to be a good one but all the talk has been about Brian Cox during Fall practices. Yes, he's a little out of control sometimes but.....he's gonna be a player.

2. Strong Safety Marcus Maye - UF has landed several quality safeties the last couple years. Maye was not the most highly rated but he's gonna be a player. He looks set to start.

3. Free Safety Cody Riggs - what? He was the least physically imposing of UF's 4 quality cornerbacks. He was always noted for being more quick than physical. Well now he's up to 190 pounds and is MORE physical than several highly rated safeties UF has signed the last few years and is a lock to start.

4. OT Trenton Brown - had potential but was noted to be a good 20 pounds overweight and had only played Juco ball. He's a giant. He should not be placed on Driskel's blind side (ie at Left Tackle) since he can be beaten by the really quick rush ends. BUT....if he gets a big paw on you its over. Its....JUST. FREAKING. OVER. He will simply maul you. Tyler Moore is set to start at Right Tackle for now but Big Trenton (all 6'8' 360 pounds of him) will get in regularly and will very likely win the starting job this season.

5. Tailback Valdez Showers - the son of Gator CB Shea Showers, he was a star Tailback in high school. The coaches thought he'd be a natural fit at safety. UF has recruited well at Safety the last couple seasons and he was passed on the depth chart there after never showing any real spark at the position. Meanwhile, UF was hurting at Tailback due to illness and injury so what the heck....let's try him at Tailback. Whoa! He's THE best receiver out of the backfield UF has and he's probably THE best outside runner UF has. No, he is not dominant between the Tackles, but....he can definitely help us at Tailback. He WILL get snaps and he WILL contribute this season.

Others to watch:

WR Demarcus Robinson

LB Daniel McMillan

CB Vernon Hargreaves

TB Kelvin Taylor

OG/OT Tyler Moore

OG/OT Max Garcia

and.....welcome back Ronald Powell.....
  2. LimeyGator

LimeyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +668
    Is it a 'surprise' call nominate DJ Humphries?

No disrespect to any former Gators intended but I think he's going to become an elite LT...
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,745
    Good list, Hungary.

I'd add Keanu Neal.
  4. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Hopefully Driskel surprises me. I would love to see him throwing the ball effectively this year which will in turn, help out MJ24 and our other rbs.

Unfortunately, I disagree with Cody Riggs. I truly hope he proves me wrong because I dont think hes very good. Injury prone, not a great tackler, hes undersized, etc...hope he balls out this year.
  5. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    I'm pretty sure Valdez is not Shea's son. The only thing I can find saying he is his son are posts on this board by you.
  6. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +67
    LOL....i did the same thing. I don't believe they're father/son. It doesnt say anything on gator zone in his bio...nor did I see it anywhere else.
  7. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    I am going to continue to say Driskel is fine he needs the other players like the Oline and WR's to do their jobs. Riggs is undersized but he has always played well when on the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Keep saying it. I hope JD surprises me. CR gets hurt/dinged up playing corner he may have a tremendously difficult time staying on the field at safety. Isnt that a prerequisite for anyone to play well?
  9. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Agree with you on Driskel, if the line is improved, he will be able to use the offense more and not have to go on instinct(run and try to make a play) so much.

Consistently good O line play will make the offense come alive this year.

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    What I am saying is nothing JD does should really surprise you it is the people around him.
    It wasnt like Riggs was getting hurt tackling somebody he broke a bone in his foot. In 2010 and 2011 I think he played in every game.
  11. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I agree about Driskel. If I had a wish list of players who would become studs at their positions it would contain any and all of the offensive linemen in regards to pass protection....Driskel CAN pass the ball well if he has to AND has the protection.

With the inexperience at some positions on defense I believe we WILL have to pass the ball to win a least 3 or 4 games this year.

I'm skeptical of Riggs at anything other being a good extra DB in nickel situations. I would rather see Watkins,Neal or somebody else on the field the majority of the time.
  12. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +67
    I'm not trying to get into a debate on this but it will surprise ME when:
    --JD learns to throw the ball away (out of bounds) rather than just running out of bounds for a 7 yard loss.
    --When the talent between Jeffs ears starts to improve/catch up to his physical talents

JDs not infallable. Yes the WRs and Oline will assist in his improvement. I'll be surprised (pleasantly) to see it.
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    I think the defense is going to be really good. And no way in hell would I rather see a freshmen on the field than Riggs. You need a veteran in the back to help with communication and the call in our D.

Riggs being back there instead of Watkins should be encouraging. If Riggs wasn't playing well Watkins would have moved back there
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    Well the 2nd half of the season he didnt run out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage more than like once. So he did learn but you still have that A & M game stuck in your head. I know because I went back and watch all the plays from last season. Jeff would either run for positive yards or throw the ball down field many times for a completion.
  15. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +67
    UGA game was late in the season and he did in that game as well as the horrific pick to end the half. The A&M isnt the ony game he held the ball and went out of bounds well behind the LOS. I like JD but I hope he shows great improvement. Last season you could see Jeff improve each week for the few....then it seemed like his progression stopped. Competiton had something to do w it occasionally but he wasnt overwhelming in any game until fsu (?)

His performance against USC was ok. He threw 4 tds but less than 100 yards. Ugh
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    What happened in between UGA & A & M? You pointed out a play where Jeff didnt run out of bound btw. I watched every play again he very very rarely ran out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage the 2nd half of the season it is something that just stuck out to fans and they continue to say it even though it didnt happen

The progression didnt stop the line was injured and the blocking got worse. You notice we also struggled to run the ball at times later in the season?

I dont know why people worry about passing yards.
  17. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    If our pass rush is all that it's supposed to be Riggs might be ok, if not I think teams like UM, UGA and Clown State who have multiple TALL WR's, will find a way to take advantage of his height......I'm not a huge fan of Watkins either, but if our coaches turned Josh Evans into an NFL player then I will trust that they have made big improvements with these 2 players.
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,746
    wow at not being a big fan of Watkins I dont even know what to say. I knew Evans was going to be a player (my avatar with his old number) it takes awhile to understand the system so you can play fast plus he was hurt the year prior.
  19. FunnGunn

FunnGunn Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Like me you've been trying to explain this for a year now. Some people just want to be contrary because they think it makes them sound smart and it provides them with the attention they wouldn't get otherwise. It's time to just sit back now and watch the back pedaling. Not gonna see an aerial attack today but I'm sure they wanna show off a bit.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-sec-extend-streak-more-ponder-final-year-bcs
  20. Notoriousgator

Ratings Received:
    +67
    A little birdy told me that AZ watched every snap from last season and Jeff only had one play in which he ran out of bounds w/o throwing it away and it was in the first game of the season and never happened again! All others are mistaken! LOL ;)