Top-five Trey Lyles trims list to four, ready to sort through recruitment

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Noahtogo24, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    Any realistic chance he picks the Gators?

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. -- Someone of Trey Lyles' stature -- ranked fifth in the class of 2014, one of the best prospects in the country -- is normally used to having continuous recruiting attention. However, that hasn't necessarily been the case with Lyles. He originally committed to Indiana back in September of 2010, when he was only beginning his freshman year of high school. As a result, most recruiting coverage didn't revolve around him.

Until last August -- when Lyles announced that he was decommitting from the Hoosiers.

As soon as that happened, though, most people immediately jumped to the conclusion that Lyles was going to end up at Kentucky. Sure, there was certainly some buzz surrounding his recruitment, but even some coaches involved with Lyles assumed he was a heavy Kentucky lean.

Recently, it's become less of a sure thing. Louisville has made up plenty of ground, and could be right there at the top with Kentucky. Heading into the July live period, Florida, Butler, UCLA and Duke joined those two on Lyles' list. On Thursday evening, though, Lyles announced on Instagram that he was trimming UCLA and Duke from his finalists. That leaves four in the mix for Lyles: Louisville, Kentucky, Florida and Butler.

Prior to cutting his list, Lyles insisted that there were no favorites.

"I heard a lot of rumors about that, but everybody is really equal," Lyles said. "No one is ahead."

The 6-foot-10 power forward from Arsenal Tech (Ind.) was asked to compare Kentucky and Louisville -- his two presumed favorites.

"They got great coaches, great legacies, they got good players coming in, and they always seem to have a way of getting guys to the NBA," he said.

"Kentucky has younger players and gets guys to the league faster, but Louisville might develop their players a little bit better."

Lyles has taken unofficial visits to both schools, and doesn't have official trips set up just yet. One thing in Louisville's favor is the Cardinals already have a commitment from five-star guard Jaquan Lyle, someone who has played with Lyles for years.

Could Lyle's presence sway Lyles?

"Being able to play with a guy that you've played with for a couple years, that you know very well, helps out a lot," Lyles said. "I know his game, he knows my game, we know what each other like to do. So that's really going to help if I decide to play with them."

Outside of the big two, Butler and Florida also remain. The Gators have made a push for Lyles, although they also have multiple other targets at the power forward position. Butler, an in-state school, made the cut despite changing coaches just one week ago.

Lyles is looking forward to seeing what new head coach Brandon Miller is bringing to the table.

"I was disappointed to see coach [Brad] Stevens go, but they've got a great coach coming in," Lyles said. "They're still close to home and I still like them, so they're still one of my top schools."

A commitment is not next on the agenda for Lyles, who wants to get to know each of the head coaches better in the near future. He also has to plan official visits, which he hasn't done yet because he was overseas with the U-19 Canada team.

This time, though, there will be plenty of eyeballs on Lyles each step of the way.

Topics: Butler Bulldogs, Duke Blue Devils, Florida Gators, Indiana Hoosiers, Kentucky Wildcats, Louisville Cardinals, UCLA Bruins, NCAAB
  2. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I sure hope like hell he does not go to UK. This kid is bad chemistry. I don't want him within 50 miles of Lexington, KY.
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +380
    Bert is our resident expert on bad chemistry.
  4. dailydoublecat

dailydoublecat <font color=blue>Respected Rival</font>

Ratings Received:
    +603
    I haven't been following recruiting for next yr as it makes my head spin. Very what dont you like about Lyles? What's his story?
  5. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +712
    Butler is odd given that the coach just left. Can't imagine they stay long.
  6. don23lucia

don23lucia Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Im curious to know as well
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,817
    Isn't going to UK?
  8. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +603
    Bert mentioned something about attitude and we have a chance to get him. I'm just up on it because we I can't think a year ahead lol.

Jeff
  9. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,383
    Bert is our resident example of bad chemistry.

Sent from my All knowing Android Device
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,466
    I am pretty much ignoring this kid until after he commits will be shocked if he doesn't pick one of the Kentucky schools
  11. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    A lot of UK fans are mad at him after his comments about Louisville doing a better job developing players. Other than that, haven't heard anything about a bad attitude. I'm sure Bert will enlighten us.
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    "Kentucky has younger players and gets guys to the league faster, but Louisville might develop their players a little bit better,&rdquo; he said.

That doesn't seem like worth getting all up in arms about but were talking about uk fans
  13. Apeman

Apeman Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +539
    Sometimes the truth hurts ...
  14. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    I have a friend who knows the father and how he operates. He also calls basketball and base ball games in Indiana and he tells me that the kid is a major talent but gets bad direction and advise from home.

Sorry I should have explained it better; however, I hope that he never gets an offer from UK.

He may be a saint, but I doubt it.
  15. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +603
    Bert hmmmm. I guess we will see how this pans out!!
    Jeff
  16. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Jeff hmmmm.

If you have information then share it. I shared my information and you make fun of it. If you have a better source then tell us.
  17. dailydoublecat

Ratings Received:
    +603
    WTH Bert I didnt make fun of it I said hmmmm like I was taking in your information. I said in a previous post that my brain can't handle recruiting for next year yet!! I did see on the crystal ball that UK and UL are 50-50 for his services. I would think after years of being here you would have thicker skin and realize who is attacking you and who isn't.
    Jeff
  18. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Member

Ratings Received:
    +34
    FIGHT!!!!!!
  19. Noahtogo24

Noahtogo24 Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    That is a great point, but maybe the new coach has enough charisma into having Lyles choose Butler.
  20. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,383

More like wildCAT-fight.

[​IMG]