Tony Stewart "Accident" ... You Be The Judge.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by atlantagator86, Aug 11, 2014.

1. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    That's the larger point in my perspective (in bold). I don't know Tony Stewart, and I barely know of his reputation, but based on the evidence in hand I don't see how anybody would be willing to put this man in prison based on what they think he may have been thinking. I've read perspectives of experienced racers who claim that Tony should likely have been able to avoid him, and I've read perspectives of experienced racers who claim that this isn't Tony's fault in any way shape or form. I am curious about the civil suit that you are talking about...

Isn't that a bit presumptuous? What if it was "pure accident with no intent" as you suggested might be a possibility? What if his effort was to try to get out of the way making a change at the last second because he wasn't expecting someone to be standing on the road in front of him? Does Kevin's estate owe Tony any money in your view (and no, I'm not at all suggesting that Tony should sue)?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  2. surfn1080

surfn1080 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +187
    Well if you notice he gunned his throttle to move his back to the right being it is hard to turn on dirt tracks at low speeds. I believe Tony attempted to miss him but the kid was to close and to late.
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,668
    WRT a civil suit, I'd expect the family to sue TS for his part in the wrongful death of the victim. The video clearly shows the driver in front of TS driving slower, swinging low and easily avoiding the victim who was very easy to see on the cell phone videos available fom the crowd. TS will have to explain why he drove that fast on that line in spite of the caution for a wreck he was well aware of, along with the behavior of the driver in front of him, and the victim who was clearly visible on the track.

It is a bit presumptuous... about what is most likely the truth given the available evidence and TS track record. Doesn't need to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.
  4. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +718
    I classify this as suicide. That is the equivelant of running in front of a moving train.
  5. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    I agree. The TS car appears in the video for a fraction of a second before the impact. There is no way anyone can tell his intent from that video. Maybe a new video will surface which shows more of what happened. The only thing I can say for certain from that video is that the young man that was killed made a terrible decision, but it was probably fueled by adrenalin and anger.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +472
    I think part of the problem is that blue car in front of TS had to swerve abruptly when the driver damn near jumped in front of his car. Also, it was on a curve, and approaching the wreck TS's eyes may been up the track on the wrecked car rather than looking for an unexpected person standing in the track. The sprint cars may be "open" with clear vision, but other drivers point out that the helmet blocks vision, and the cars have no windshields, and they race on dirt, which means their face masks are caked with dirt. They use tear away goggles. These things could have contributed to TS not seeing him until it was too late.

Another possible explanation is that TS did see the kid, and saw the kid take a couple quick steps down the track, causing the blue car in front to swerve low, and TS went higher thinking the kid would keep going down.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Ratings Received:
    +184
    I'm gonna bust his a$$,

Here's a vid from a local boy that shows 'how hard it is to turn at low speeds' on a dimly lit Sprint Outlaw track. It also shows laps under caution speeds and at full speed. Keep in mind the camera is mounted behind and to the left of the driver.

8. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Right, and this was my only issue with the original post.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    There's a video at Live Leak that identifies something different. See if you can tell what it is, and I'm curious what (if any) difference you think it makes:

Here's another that reveals the same thing:

The video linked in the OP here is noticeably different.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  10. NitroSmoke

NitroSmoke Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +66
    The cars dont run single file during caution laps. There were other cars in the top groove that appeared to be going faster than TS in the video. The first one is around the 29/30 second mark. He almost got clipped by that one. The 45 narrowly missed him but seemed to hit the brakes as you can hear the screech of the tires. I have no idea why TS blipped the gas and I really would like to hear his explanation. Ward seemed to realize at the last second he was in a really bad place. At the 35 second mark it looks like he is almost on the front right tire, and that TS's tires are turned slightly to the right. Seems Ward is trying to move away from the car but its hard to tell with the wing. One thing to remember is that even though they are under caution, they are still running 35 to 40 MPH. That is still VERY fast. I really want to hear TS's explanation about why he tapped the gas. Maybe he freaked. The pedals in these cars are down (imagine sitting in a chair and the pedal is the floor). He might have been surprised by him and touched the gas by reflex. He didnt grab much of the throttle by the sound of it. It was a blip and Im sure is being looked at closely by investigators.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    I skipped ahead to the 7:00+ part of the of the video. Visibility is terrible, and I think there's a piece of dirt on the camera. Thanks for posting.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  12. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,668
    It is clearer to me that Stewart hit his gas as he approached Ward. While others had reported that, it wasn't as clear (to me) in the original video in this thread as it is in the videos you posted.

His actions seemed to take him higher up the track and into the victim as opposed to away from him.

I'm not sure what else you're seeing (or hearing).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    nm

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    Agreed, but this takes out the alleged aggression that he was trying to spray Kevin with mud (don't know if that was mentioned on here, but I've seen it mentioned on other sites). Aside from that, how do you determine that the revving wasn't an attempt to get out of the way in advance of hitting him? Or do you not think that that matters?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  15. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,879
    Which again, is why I said "original post," which was a very different assertion.
    • Boring Boring x 1
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +926
    http://rochester.twcnews.com/conten...-could-not-have-avoided-hitting-other-driver/

Apparently there is another video that gives a different angle.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,668
    IDK what it means that he hit the gas.

I do know the results whether intended or not were to push his car further up the track towards the victim... which he was already closer to than he should have been assuming he saw him out there.
  18. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +934
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. OaktownGator

Ratings Received:
    +6,668
  20. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +221
    Not enough evidence to prove TS did anything intentional. But then again, juries didn't find enough evidence in OJ Simpson's case either. I'm not equating the two. I'm just saying this isn't an argument of what can be proven. It's people discussing what they think likely happened. To me it looked like TS was trying to buzz the kid, give him a little scare. The hotheaded kid wasn't about to jump out of the way. The back end fishtailed, a tragedy occurred. Both were at fault.
    • Agree Agree x 1