Tony Stewart "Accident" ... You Be The Judge.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by atlantagator86, Aug 11, 2014.

1. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    True TS is a killer in the sense someone died, I should have been more precise, it does not make him a murderer and I doubt he will be charged with manslaughter. Will see how this plays out...
  2. bullg8tor

bullg8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    I gotta admit, when I first watched this I went into it thinking the kid was 100% at fault, but after watching and listening to the video I came away with a completely different view. There is no way anyone can watch/listen to that and not think Stewart has questions to answer. He may or may not ever have to answer them publicly, but he has to live with it regardless. They were both at fault, but only one is alive to answer for it.....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    One thing that should not be lost in this tragic incident and that is prayers for the family of the man who died. It has to be heartbreaking for the family, the man was so very young. It's all sad.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +335
    I think TS' anger got the best of him again. He may have lost the focus needed to avoid hitting the kid at that instant
  5. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,359
    I see it completely differently. There is no way a lay person can watch that video and make any determination about intent. Questions? sure. Definitive intent? No way.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Uh, no? You realize there is more context here than that, right?
  7. gator34654

Ratings Received:
    +1,320
    whew, i thought you were going to highlight my spelling mistake, it's road. I'll blame in on being tired but to be honest, just slopping typing and thinking more of what I want to say than spelling. Racing is filled with dangers, bumping a car at high speeds can create a situation where someone dies. "Killing" in such a case that involves an arrest and jury is plain silly.

If intent can be proved then of course. All you have going for you is assumptions. You assume that he may have intentionally swerved to hit a fellow driver. That going that speed he wants to injure someone is to me illogical. People speculate, that TS wanted to buzz by the guy, give him a scare, but NO ONE knows what really was going through the mind of TS at that moment. Speculation isn't enough to convict in this case. He will not be charged.

The evidence that I see is the guy gets out of his car and stands in the middle of the track where he doesn't belong.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  8. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    It looks like Tony Stewart didn't see the kid until the last second and did his very best to miss hitting him. It was an "oh sh**!" moment that required incredibly quick thinking and decisive action. The fact that he only hit him with his rear tire is testament to his driving skill. Most drivers in that position would have plowed through the kid. The car severely veers to the right as a result of him getting stuck under the tire. It doesn't look like there is any wrongdoing here, imo. Nobody in his right mind would see someone walking across the track and then try to "teach him a lesson." Tony Stewart isn't that stupid.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    For sure. Most important perspective in this thread. Well said.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. gator_10

gator_10 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I didn't read all the post but here is mine: Here is what I saw from that video (the one and only that I have seen). This is just my opinion from one video and I know nothing about dirt track cars, but have played around with some hot rods and off road, I was looking mainly at how the car reacted when Mr. Stewart appeared to "goose" it, the rear end appeared to move to the left. I would think this indicated that he had turned into the dumb boy and inertia caused the rear end to move left - but not enough to keep from hitting him. I think if he had hit the throttle driving the track, the rear end would have went to the right. Both were dumb but one killed the other.
  11. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,015
    I don't think TS meant to kill the kid, only scare him. That said, I don't think a manslaughter charge should be out of the question.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Kevin was trying to get out of the way of the other vehicles. He was trying to get IN the way of Tony's. Big difference. We don't even know if Tony was on a successful path to miss Kevin at the end before Kevin made one last change of positioning.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  13. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    Something to think about with this, look at the angle of the shadows. The light would have been in front of Tony and behind Kevin. I would think that any success of the lighting would need to be with respect to Tony's position on the track, and given the direction of the shadows, that may not have been an optimum situation for lighting.

Do you think it matters that Kevin was trying to get out of the way of the other vehicles but trying to get in the way of Tony?

If he violated a racing rule, then he should get a racing punishment, but I don't think Tony had any reasonable expectation to be on the lookout for a person that would be standing on the track trying to stand directly in front of his vehicle. Any aggressive behavior on his part would only be relevant (in my opinion) if he *knew* that there was a person standing on the track and Tony was specifically targeting him.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,099
    For me it's a matter of the knowns vs. the unknowns. We can speculate on whether or not Tony did anything with malicious intent. We can speculate on whether or not a skilled driver should have been able to avoid hitting a person in that scenario. But without any additional information, it would just be speculation. We know the kid did something wrong. I'm sure safety regulations will now change the way drivers are instructed to act in a caution scenario going forward, but really, all that should be learned from this is not to go stand in front of the car of a fast-moving vehicle. Fix that one problem and this is a non-issue. Teach Tony to dodge the Kevin in that scenario and someone is still bound to get killed if it's attempted again.

I don't think the public road analogy applies:

- aggressive driving is a necessary part of racing; you do things on a racetrack that would never be tolerable in a street/highway scenario
    - pedestrians are understood to *not* be a part of the event; I wonder to what extent these drivers are trained how to deal with dodging a person at the last second on a mud track

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  15. medigator

medigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,879
    I dont know how many of you have been on a "dirt" track but it is watered down after every heat and with the mud and "ruts" the hard track is slick as glass . When this youngster came down the track car #45 had to evade him and he kept coming down to get in Tonys face . Here is where we dont know what happened and I surmise another possibilty . First of all these are all bull rings as small as a 1/4 mile which means you literally are going in circles so when something like this happens you are back on top of it in seconds not like NASCAR where the tracks are 1 1/2 miles etc . There re no windshields in these cars and the drivers have tear offs on their goggles . When they mud up they tear them off and can see again . Now lets surmise this scenerio couldve happened .The Kid comes down the track too far #45 swerves to miss him Tony is right behind him and is tearing off his goggle to see and then the kid couldve slipped a little on that glass and Tony reacts to avoid him while trying to speed up and the ass end slings out and hits him . In this scenerio there is no intent . It is simply a Sad and Bad decision to get out of a car on the track anywhere ! Tony Stewart is whiny and a bully but he is also one of the most generous people in NASCAR donating millions of dollars back to people and causes . And for the record I am a Little E fan not a Stewart fan
  16. phideltgator

phideltgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +466
    road kill law..track is designed for cars driving and sliding in circles not pedestrians pulling a 'Woody Hayes' attacking 2 ton race cars.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vindibudd

Vindibudd Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +511
    I learned to not play in the street when I was 3. Just saying.
  18. AndyGator

AndyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    I don't see how one can build a case against him in court based on the video I saw.
  19. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,501
    The public road analogy was brought in by the poster I was responding to. While it isn't a great one, it is not completely irrelevant, because they were under a caution for an accident TS himself was well aware of because of his involvement. TS himself has hopped out of cars and walked onto tracks cussing out drivers he thought caused an accident, so he knows from his own personal behavior that is a possibility.

That said, I already stipulated the fact that the victim was largely responsible for his own death thru his own dumb ass actions.

You are posting as though that relieves TS of all culpability and that is simply not true. The fact still remains there is a range of actions TS may have taken ranging from a pure accident with no intent, all the way up to intentionally hitting this kid. There is no free pass in this country for intentionally or recklessly killing dumb asses just because they're dumb asses.

At best, TS was careless with his speed and his line on the track. Nobody else had a problem avoiding that kid and TS was almost certainly the best driver on that track.. IMO it is most likely he was intentionally reckless trying to scare the kid. I think it is highly unlikely there would be enough evidence of that for any criminal charges to successfully be brought. I do however think that TS is going to have to write that family a big freaking check. And live with having needlessly killed a dumb ass thru his own hothead dumb ass behavior.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. bullg8tor

bullg8tor Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +166
    Not once was I being "definitive" about anything, I simply said that there were questions that needed to be answered about the event and that there is only one person alive to answer them.

From what I understand, those sprint cars have a clear field of vision in them, and that is coming from another driver that was in this race and saw the whole thing. So how is it that one of the supposed "greatest drivers in the world" failed to see the kid coming down the track yelling at him, when it should be a very obvious response to Stewart since he himself has done it time and again, and even has thrown his helmet at another driver??? Why is it that the driver before Tony on the track in this particular incident, clearly sees the kid on the track, brakes, and appears to turn down to the left to avoid hitting the kid? Why is it that Tony initially stands on the brake (as you can audibly hear), then guns the engine and comes in contact with the kid?

Not once was I insinuating that Stewart hit the kid on purpose, but what exactly was he doing is all I'm asking? And let's just say Tony Stewart's past is a checkered one at best. Sure, I'm sure he's a "great guy, with a great heart" blah blah blah. Considering his past, to say Stewart has proven to be a "hot head" would be a severe understatement. Hell, his aggressive driving put two teens in the hospital last year racing sprint cars, one in which he took responsibility for. When does it end with this guy? When he kills someone? Too late for that.....
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014