Times Picayune writer breaks down LSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorjjh, Oct 8, 2013.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,686
    Think this is a pretty good analysis of the LSU team-

LSU QB Zach Mettenberger nearly perfect, Tiger defense quite imperfect: Film Study
    Jim Kleinpeter, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune

Welcome to my latest Film Study, this one from LSU's 59-26 victory at Mississippi State. There were lots of big plays to break down from this one, a lot to enjoy and a lot for Tiger fans to gnash their teeth over.

I've been going negative lately, so I'll start this by going positive. LSU's offense looks more and more invincible each week. With the injuries at Georgia, LSU may end up having the best offense in the conference when the season is over.

Zach Mettenberger may end up being the most improved player in the league and he's getting plenty of help. Odell Beckham Jr. made at least three incredible leaping catches and Jarvis Landry continues to catch everything coming his way. Jeremy Hill is making defenses pay on the ground, even when the box is stacked against him. He went 69 yards for a score despite nine Bulldog defenders at the line of scrimmage.

Defensively, the news is not so good. The Tigers surrendered 468 yards, 274 in the first half along with 23 points. Mississippi State averaged seven yards per play and ran 10 plays that netted at least 20 yards, seven in the first half. And I don't care what Les Miles says, the second half wasn't much better, even though the Tigers allowed just three points.

more at:
    http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2013/10/lsu_qb_zach_mettenberger_nearl.html
  2. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    Pretty fair assessment... Let's just hope that the Gator Defense makes Mettenberger revert to his former self this Saturday! :D
  3. gatorjjh

gatorjjh BS Jm, UF Class of '69 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +9,686
    They have the talent to do that but sure can't afford to come out and not read keys and blowing assignments like they did against Arky, we could go down 2 or 3 scores in 10 minutes
  4. SmootyGator

SmootyGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +885
    Well, we could get down 2 or 3 scores, but it would take a lot longer than 10 minutes the way we run our offense! This of course, is if we don't turn the ball over like vs. UGA 12' or Miami this year!

/knock on wood
    • Like Like x 1
  5. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159
    This will be a very interesting match up. If our defense slows down the LSU offense, then its up to Tyler Murphy and company to put some scores on the board. If LSU's run game gets bogged down....and I think it will, we can make them one dimensional and maybe pick off a few hurried passes. I'm pretty sure the improved Gator offense can put points up against the young and mistake prone LSU defense. If so, look for a mild upset.....maybe 31-24!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Here's everything you need to know about LSU right here:

[​IMG]