Time to reevaluate the Florida/Tenn Rivalry?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Pasco08, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Pasco08

Pasco08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +322
  2. Gatorstew

Gatorstew Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    I'm a little biased but living in Nashville, this game is still pretty special for me.
  3. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    Close overall series though.....UT won the 1st 10 games.
    Were going to win 9 in a row.
  4. BigSlick

BigSlick Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +302
    I really miss what this game used to mean. Payton, Phat Phil, SOS, Joey Kent (or what's left of him), leg up on the East and a trip to Atl. I remember having knots in my stomach the entire UT week, now it doesn't feel anything like the "good ole days". Even with a win on Saturday it still is missing something. I guess this is the new good.
  5. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +174
    UT won 13 of the 1st 15
    UF has won 21 of the last 27
    UF-Leads 23-19
  6. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    This game HAD to become easier with South Carolina now a power.
    This is NOT exactly your fathers Vanderbilt here in 2013 either.
    How many brutal east division games do you think we need?
  7. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Just a few things here: Pat Dooley is a bleacherreport style fluff writer who once asked Peyton Manning during the week of the Super Bowl in January of 2010 if he was haunted by having never beaten Florida (12 years after Manning's college career had ended). Why didn't he ask Drew Brees if he was haunted by not beating Ohio St? It would have been just as relevant in 2010. Yes, Tennessee sucks right now and that takes the edge of all of their games but there was not a closer or more intense series in the SEC from 1998-2006 and Tennessee has always been a program of peaks and valleys. Our series with Alabama has had some lengthy streaks in both directions but both schools insist that it still be played. There is more to a rivalry than just a final score. A true rivalry is more than just a big game in the standings Dooley clumsily suggests. Hopefully we can return this to a competive game by our next trip to the Swamp. Also, I don't remember Spurrier "chiding Fulmer about his weight" or believe he did that.
  8. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    To expand on what I just posted: to those who think it is not a rivalry- Can you think of any two schools with as many historical coaching ties as Florida and Tenn? 1) Ray Graves played at Tenn and was an assistant under Neyland. Head Coach at Fla. 2) Bob Woodruff coached at Fla. AD at Tenn and made hating you his passion. 3) Doug Dickey played and coached at Fla. Coached and was an AD at Tenn 4) Steve Spurrier was from Johnson City, TN 5) Ron Zook. Johnny Majors said the two best assistants he ever had were Jackie Sherrill at Pitt and Zook at Tenn. There are many other assistants who coached both places including Jimmy Ray Stephens and Jim Bates (he had a son at Fla and one at Tenn in '95). Off topic but Dooley should not have said Spurrier chided Fulmer about his weight without producing the exact quote. Spurrier's barbs were about football and never personal attacks which is what made them funny. Steve didn't "chide" Fulmer about his weight. That's was unprofessional of Dooley.
  9. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +969
    Just a short year ago, there was talk that this rivalry was back. Really, when you think about last year's game, it was a close and competitive as it was historically until Florida blew it open in the fourth quarter.

I remember reading posts from Gators here on this board that thought that UT was going to give us trouble in future years, including 2012.

It's just amazing what can happen in 12 months.

But it also shows you that the landscape can change again just as quickly.

It's correct that we don't need another tough game on our schedule, but if UT is tough for us, they are also tough for the Poodles and Carolina and that helps us (as long as we take care of our business).
  10. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    I was just going to touch on the coaching ties, but I'm glad I left it alone because you covered it very well.

Even when we weren't playing each other much, the games always carried a lot of weight.

I remember my first and only trip to Neyland in 1984. It was one of the most exciting games that I ever saw and loaded with memorable characters, like the drunk Vol fan (who hated Johnny Majors) sitting behind us who my father spent the game trying to lift his spirits. Next year, in Gainesville, I remember a very hot day and defensive struggle. We won both, but they were tough games and entertaining as hell.
  11. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    Just imagine if we had any kind of self-esteem between 1920 and 1960.
    Instead of metropolis' like Mississippi and Alabama...we might have been the Michigan of the south.
  12. HungaryGator

HungaryGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +77
    I've never really felt this was a rivalry on par with our rivalries with the sows, the scUMbags or the Leghumpers. We have a ton more history with Auburn and they have had more success against us in recent years and lead the series. UF and Tennessee do not generally recruit head to head either. They are in our division and there will always be some bad blood over Doug Dickey orchestrating the retroactive application of a new rule in 1984 (utter BS) in order to strip UF of the SEC title it won under the rules in place at the time in 1984....and yes Johnny Majors and Lane Kiffin were first rate A-HOLES....but hell, the Tennesse folks would all agree with that.

Its an important game but I haven't had nearly the same level of hate for them in the last 15 years or so that I had earlier.
  13. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    All it takes is for one loudmouth Dolly to come here and call us the Wake Forest of the SEC and the hate mysteriously comes back!
  14. VolsFan07

VolsFan07 <font color="#FFA500"><b>Lulu and Junior <br>Are M

Ratings Received:
    +16
    I agree it hasn't been what it used to be. But guys, it will be. It may be a few more years, but UT has too many resources to remain where it is today. It takes one good hire and that can completely turn a program around. We will be back, that I can promise.
  15. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    HungaryGator, it was Woodruff that lead the charge to have you stripped of the 1984 SEC title and he would wear that distinction like a badge of honor. It is also not accurate to put Majors in the same sentence as Kiffin. He was/is? a well known alcoholic but he is also one of our best all time players and won a lot of big games as a coach and left a full cupboard for Fulmer. Opinions of Majors vary significantly but he is a dyed in the wool Vol at heart and most of our fans do respect him.
  16. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,375
    I agree.

...And this is still my favorite week of the year.
  17. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,632
    Jahervol01,

Don't forget CJ Leak. (Another weird tie)

Anyone remember what he was hired for, and what happened to him?
  18. tommyuf21

Ratings Received:
    +969
    We used to train our binoculars on him and try to catch him reaching for his trusty flask :laugh:
  19. jagervol01

jagervol01 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +11
    Yes! Nice catch, I forgot about the Leak brothers! I am sure there are others too. Would have been nice to have had Chris. Also, someone posted that we don't recruit against each other much? If so then back off DeWayne Hendrix if you don't mind. We recruit against each other all the time guys.
  20. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    it's not a big game anymore--the sec is moving the game to october