Time for the Amanda Butler era to end

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by Bullis33, Jun 19, 2013.

1. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +257
    Here are some facts... first, UF has been to one NCAA tournament in the last four years with a roster primarily of Butler's recruits. Heck, Butler probably had mor success with the players Peck left behind than with her own recruits.

Speaking of recruiting, Butler has struggled with that also. Another fact is that when Butler does land a top recruit, she can't keep them on campus. The top signees in each of the last three classes (Young, the Spanish girl and Moss) all lasted just one year on the team, and that just can't happen. You can make all the excuses in the world but you have to keep your top players on campus, especially when you struggle, like Butler, to get the those type players.

Nothing against Butler... she seemed to work hard and has given it her best shot. But, it hasn't worked out and it seems like it is time for a change.
  2. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +285
    I understand why players leave teams and such, but I am more focused on the results of the season. 2 NCAA Tournament appearances out of 6 seasons? Looking at her tenure here, our strongest year results-wise was the 2008-2009 team that went 23-7 and finished in 4th in the SEC. That season was our only time finishing in the Top 6 of the SEC and the only season where we had a winning conference record during Butler's tenure. It doesn't help the whole "we are better talent-wise" thing when her best team was basically Carolyn Peck's players. Also strange that in the same period of 6 seasons that Butler has had only 1 Top 6 finish in the SEC while Carolyn Peck had 3 seasons of Top 6 SEC finishes. One positive is that Butler holds a 119 vs. 90 wins edge over Peck during their 6 seasons. Another positive is that unlike Peck, Butler has been able to avoid a truly horrible season. If Butler can achieve a 23-win season, make the NCAA Tournament and win at least 1 game, and finish in the Top 6 of the conference by having a winning conference record, then I will back off of my hot seat comments.