Time for the Amanda Butler era to end

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by Bullis33, Jun 19, 2013.

1. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    She'll get it her chance to prove herself. No excuses this season.
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't Tread on me! VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +750
    I'd give her one more season to right the ship or send her packing.
  3. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    It has taken longer than I'd have liked, but Butler does seem to have wrangled hold of the narrative here.

First they released Moss to any non-SEC school and lately there have been lots of positive comments on social media from the remaining players. Now, a nice piece on Gatorzone on the remaining 10 players: http://www.gatorzone.com/story.php?id=25943

With the coaches out on the recruiting trail, they could really use a big time commitment right now.
  4. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +345
    Nice "puff" piece is more like it. Just another post-season trip, i.e. WNIT, is not going going to get it done.
  5. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    Butler struggles to recruit, struggles to retain players and has struggled to improve the program.

But every year, no matter who comes and goes, she paints a rosy picture of the current status of the program. But, getting to the WNIT and beating a few lower level DI teams along the way is not a successful season and Butler needs to turn things around quickly.
  6. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    any word or speculation on why moss left?
  7. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    Umm... not sure I would say she struggles to recruit especially with a McyD coming in next year.

And while she has struggled to improve the program, it has improved. Something no one seems to want to notice as they demand immediate success or her firing.
  8. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +111
    Give me a break. It has been what 7 yrs. and we are still hoping to make the WNIT!
  9. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +576
    Not a big womens' b ball fan but I do catch a few games here and there. This would be my question also.
  10. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,429
    We can wait another 77 years and it won't make any difference. UF will never be good in ladies hoops.
  11. number1

Ratings Received:
    +344
    I don't call 7 years demanding immediate success.
  12. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +251
    But there have been people looking to have her fired since year 3. Some probably have wanted her fired since the day she was hired!

The fact is, she is a young coach. When she was hired she was a VERY young coach. She is learning and that takes time. UF is not UT, Conn, Duke, or UNC. There is little history here and unlike men's BBall the top teams get most of the top talent. You don't see teams just "pop up" like they do in men$ BBall.

Give me a break. No one is "hoping" to get into the WNIT. She has had a winning record every year except one, has been in post season play every year, and made the NCAA twice (both times winning one game and then being knocked out by the #1 team). It is hard to make a deep tourney run when you run up against the #1 team in your second game.

And that is with what I believe has been some pretty bad luck with injuries and transfers.

The squad she has for next year will be her best yet... by a wide margin. I'm not calling it a make it or break it year for her, but I do expect to see additional improvement and progress.

My only issue I have with her is I would like to know what is behind all the transfers.
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +24
    makes you wonder about the transfers. too rough? too tough? it's one thing to be overly demanding if you're a legend in the field like a knight or a pat summit (watched the show on her on espn the other night....sounds like she demands alot of the players); it's another if you're an upcoming coach. and some new - or even 7 years in, are trying to find that balance between tough and knowing when / how to let up.

think back to 'miracle' and how herb brooks 'broke' the players then re-molded them. or bear w/ the junction boys. alot literally RAN away from that practice field (per hollywood). if you think you're a star player - or perceive yourself as such, perhaps it's tough when the coach demands alot from you. i knew some coaches & teaches that were even more rough on the 'star' athlete and/or student, too. the coach or teacher sees the talent and wants the student/player to continue to the improve but the student/player may just want to 'cruise'. causes some friction.
  14. GatorLegend

GatorLegend VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +76
    Has she had more transfers than Billy? We talked about this quite a bit on another thread. Seems like now a days if a player doesn't see significant playing time as a freshman they bolt. The days of sitting the bench, learning, gaining experience, gaining size and strenght, waiting for "your turn" are over.

I will say the Moss transfer was a schocker to the casual women's BBall fan. It sounds like she was homesick and wanted to be closer to her mom. No shame in that, but the risk in recruiting alot of out of state players. She appeared to be a player that Florida could build around for next year, but believe that we have 3 or 4 of those type players joining the squad this season, so all is not lost.

I'll put my faith in Jeremy's judgement. He usually know's when to stay with a coach and when to pull the trigger. While this is an extremely difficult job to win at currently, I don't agree with PD that the program can't become a winner. Hell, we only had very limited success in men's BBall before Billy. If Amanda can have one breakthrough season where all of the pieces fall together, who knows, it could be the beginning of something big. It all comes down to recruiting. Give Amanda the Tennessee line up of the 80's and 90's and we would be naming the court after her!
  15. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +290
    The state of Florida was loaded with prospects last year. In fact, it was probably the best SR class ever with 8-10 girls from Florida in the various top-100 lists. And Butler recruited a bunch of them very hard but was only able to sign one.

As far as retaining players, Butler has failed miserably. In each of the last two seasons (including Moss last year), her top recruit only lasted a year on campus.

Finally,the program is really not a whole lot better than it was when Butler arrived seven years ago. The biggest issue is Butler has never been able to get the backing of the state HS coaches and that will be her eventual undoing.
  16. number1

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Tennessee also got that talent because they had a legendary coach that built a great program that would attract top talent to them.
  17. number1

Ratings Received:
    +344
    We don't have to be a Tennessee or UCONN. I am talking about why after 7 years are we still a WNIT team? There has been nothing shown that she will be the coach to lead us to a Top 5 finish in the SEC, Top 25 Ranking, and a Sweet Sixteen appearance in the tournament. That's stuff that we have seen Louisville, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Kentucky, LSU, Penn State, Miami, Florida State, and Baylor do with coaches in shorter than 7 years with their teams. The problem with Amanda's teams is that she will surprise and beat a few teams that she wasn't supposed to beat, but then come back and lose to teams that no one should lose to. We would beat LSU, Georgia, and Kentucky, but then lose to Alabama State, Alabama, and Ole Miss. Couple that with an always weak OOC, and you get a WNIT berth and mediocre records.
  18. crapgame44

crapgame44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Wow...so many opinions on this thread and so few facts. Again, EASTnGator's factual and realistic posts pretty much sum it up. And Duh....we all know this is most likely the make or break season for the coaching staff and they know it too. And let me set something straight on why the 3 left and I'll keep them short. Moss: severe family issues at home. For privacy reasons thats all I'll say. She put family first and who can argue with that? A tough loss for us but the program only wishes her the best. Cooper: One of you guessed correct. Severe "homesick" issues. This move came out of the blue and yes, the staff and team were let down by her move. Now she's probaly going to be the proverbial "big fish in a little pond" at Lipscomb. Like EASTNGator said , unlike the way Moss displayed her tremendous talent, we never really saw what Cooper was capable of, so her loss was not so bad. McIntyre: For those of you that actually watched most of the games last season this 6'7" post was a big disappointment. She looked lethargic, de-conditioned and un-enthusiastic even up to the end of the season when she "bugged out" for no apparent reason to go back home. You tell me what type of player would do that to her team right before the big tournament? And I'll tell you a person with some deep personal issues that come before even a college sports career. Keep in mind she played 2 years for the coach that was killed in that plane crash. If Dimaite was healthy we would have seen more of the 6'4" Lithuanian then McIntyre anyway. So basically we have swapped out 1 strong player and 2 not so much for 3 new very talented girls with a much better talent set then the 3 we lost. YES, the freaking sky is not falling! The talent and experience pool is better then it was last season. Lets now hope it reflects on the court.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +144
    Thanks crapgame; good information to get.

Do you have any info on the supposed dissension on the team this year, and the notion
    that Amanda is "too tough"? I heard these stories, but frankly, I've seen nothing to lead me to believe them.
  20. crapgame44

crapgame44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Sure. Their is no "dissension" with this squad. The 3 girls each left for different personal reason's. As a matter of fact there is very strong team bonding this year. Coach Butler is well respected and liked by the remaining players. They are having tremendous conditioning practices now. "The Perfect 10" is their theme this year which means this slightly smaller number of players now has distinct and individual roles in which all 10 matter significantly. (Keep in mind UT and UCONN have similar size rosters). If anything, the recent departures have bonded this team even closer. Again, talent wise, this is a superior team to last year. These are the facts. Lets keep things positive and back our Gators.