Time for the Amanda Butler era to end

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by Bullis33, Jun 19, 2013.

1. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    This is a bit of a bump in the road, but it is being way over sensationalized by a self-proclaimed basketball guru (with a personal agenda) in Florida and secondary media outlets. FSU, Ga Tech, and others have been hit with transfers heavily as well.... it is not that uncommon in women's hoops. Those that follow closely knew MacIntyre was gone months ago. Cooper, while talented, never got to have an impact. Basically, of the contributors last year, we lost George, who was hampered most of the year, and Moss. We add in Peoples and Williams who were both McD AAs as well as Bannister who should have been and Dimaite. There is still quite a bit more talent in place than at this time last year. The sky has not fallen. This is/was/and always has been the crucial year for Butler. NCAA and 24-25 wins should still be the benchmark. Butler does need to look at possibly adding some JUCO options for depth in case of injury. I do hope they release Moss to wherever she wants to go though... I have never liked restrictions on transfers.
  2. G2MGA

G2MGA Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Just saw the updates to the article and agree with this 100%. The backlash only gets worse, particularly with AAU coaches on the recruiting trail, when you start blocking transfers. No BCS schools? That's pretty outrageous. Makes me wonder too if that's why Cooper chose Lipscomb (one of the worst programs in D1 last year).

It's also bizarre considering it hasn't historically been a policy of the administration or this coaching staff. Just off the top of my head, Butler has released Shine to Cal and Caldwell to WVU. So does Moss's transfer deserve a special degree of vindictiveness? Because she was our star player? It's hard to understand the thought process.

I'm guessing Moss will end up at WVU eventually, one way or the other.

It's true that the sky has not fallen for the program but you wouldn't know it. Say what you will about her coaching ability, but I'd say damage control is clearly not a strength of Butler and staff.
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +724
    You make some very good points....can't blast coach for those leaving without giving credit for the talent coming in. And UF certainly isn't alone in having transfers.
    But ultimately UF has to get something going, and somehow the staff has to put this talent together into a cohesive group in a big hurry. This can't be an excuse for another so-so season.
  4. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +409
    Just as long as you hold true to your benchmark of 24/25 wins and an NCAA visit. The beginning portion where you describe the "supposed" talent coming could and probably will be used again as the "well, we are still so young" excuse. It will be Year 7.
  5. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    There is probably more to this than we know. It could end up being addition by subtraction. Saw on Twitter a post stating someone heard Mercer too was trying to leave. Mercer made it known she wasn't going anywhere. Bannister reiterated that she is at the right place. Several of the girls are posting TLC (Trust, Loyalty, Commitment). Jordan Jones came to Butler's defense as well. Everyone has a right to their opinion but there has been some horribly irresponsible and amateur journalism taking place. There are two sides here. Apkgator, you are right. This can't and it won't be an excuse. I am sure Butler knows there has to be results.
  6. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,641
    I have been a supporter of hers based on the simple fact that she finally had the talent level going in an excellent direction. If she can't keep that positive, there really isn't a justifiable reason to keep her. Internal issues, a weak track record, more than enough time etc. Yes she is a UF alum, but that only goes so far.
  7. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    not knowing a great deal about the program, but it seems to me, even going back to the carol ross days, there is very little inroads being made with high schools in florida, seems that a majority of players are from out of state, with, to me, far to many from tennessee, can not tell me that the 3rd or 4th most populous state has that poor a womens high school bases that we need to take ut and vandy leftovers.
  8. missourigator

missourigator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +128
    East Tn know much more than me about the team but losing its best player can not help. Don't know why Foley with his fantastic track record can't find a great coach.
  9. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +365
    I honestly don't care about any of that, what I am concerned with is will this team finally be able to compete for a Top 4 spot in the conference and win more than 1 game in the NCAA tournament.
  10. notexgator

notexgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +89
    Amanda does not recruit heavily in Florida because there is not alot of talent in FL. If you want the best AAU players and HS talent go to Texas & Calif. Look at the best programs rosters and that will bear it out plus look at the last 6 NC's. Girls AAU is dominated by these 2 states.
  11. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +331
    That is BS... last season was one of the most talented in history for HS basketball in Florida (6-8 girls listed among various top-100 lists). Butler actively recruited many of them but struck out on all but one.

Poor EastTN and others have to constantly make excuses for Butler and her program, but the bottom line is that UF's girls hoops program is showing some serious problems right now, both on and off the court. The team was mediocre last year and with their two best players now gone, the future looks dim.
  12. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    No need to make excuses for her. Her recruiting speaks for itself. That doesn't mean I won't point out false or misleading information. The people who actually follow this program know enough to make their own opinions. Foley extended her contract for a reason. If Foley eventually makes a change or not, I highly doubt any coach will focus solely on in state recruiting. There are other states that care more about women's hoops and produce better talent.
  13. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +139
    imo, the womens basketball team over the past few years has to be at the bottom of all sports at uf, maybe only rivalled by the poor golf programs, no excuse to be in the ncaas every other year.
  14. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    She is out of there after this season barring an excellent season.
  15. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,256
    In the long run, it doesn't really matter who is coach. We stink at women's basketball (when held to UF standards), always have and always will.

And most UF fans don't really care. Most people in most college alumni bases don't care. I am a rabid Gator women's sports junkie and outside of the revenue sports, I care more about the women's teams than the men's teams...and I don't care.

If we were a top-10 team I would root like crazy to win, but unless a title were on the line I would never watch a game. It would be intolerable. And neither would most Gator fans or general sports fans. It'a just not a sport many people like or care about...in fact, most male sports fans (certainly by any sampling of sports talk call-in shows) are outright hostile toward the sport.
  16. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    If Kentucky and South Carolina can build yearly Top 25 contenders, then why can't Florida?
  17. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,256
    In other words she is out.

An excellent season for UF women's hoops is like caffeine in 7-Up:

"Never had it....

....Never will..."

Cue the Geoffrey Holder laughter.
  18. number1

Ratings Received:
    +365
    Well I would consider excellent to be 24-25 wins, Finish in the Top 5 of the SEC, and 2 wins in the NCAA tournament.
  19. PD

PD VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,256
    I'm sure we can reach dog paddle level like they have. But does anyone really care if we become a #20-25 program? Will anyone watch them on TV or attend a game? Not likely any more than now. 20-25 at UF doesn't even garner much interest for sports that people actually love.

I'm pretty sure the % who would consider that "excellent" without the obligatory suffix, "compared to our program's history" would be tiny.
  20. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    This is the exact reason the UF job is tough. Even men's basketball doesn't garner the support it should. People want to complain because Butler doesn't lock down in state recruiting, but she is trying to sell recruits on a school that has little tradition in the sport and that fans don't attend. Most of the critics I would guess have never attended a women's game. The only schools that garner interest in the sport recruit nationally. When she arrived UF wouldn't have even been on the considering list of most Top 100 recruits. She now has 2 McDonald All-Americans and by far the most talent UF has had since their little run in Ross's prime. It is not only critical that she have success on the floor this year but it is a critical recruiting year as well. If she doesn't fair well in both regards she is likely gone, but I am sure she is well aware of that. She is also well equipped talent wise and experience wise to get it done. If she doesn't have a Top 25 team by end of season I will be shocked and disappointed and fine with a change. I think she more than deserves to get the chance to reap the rewards from her recruiting efforts this year though.