Time for the Amanda Butler era to end

Discussion in 'Women of the Swamp' started by Bullis33, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +836
    First Cooper transfers, now our best all around player in Moss, and Mcintyre, the OSU transfer is leaving as well....Moss cited "severe internal issues" within the program...truth be told, Butler should have been gone a year or 2 ago...she is just not a good coach and now the wheels are falling off...no reason FSU and Miami can consistently field NCAA caliber teams and we cannot
  2. GboroGator

GboroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Agreed. Might as well do it now since she is basically a lame duck coach as it is. No way they do anything this season.
  3. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
  4. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    Man that sucks... JF is going to have to figure out what is the real reason for this and then decide what the next steps are.

Women BB players move around more than men. Don't want to sound sexist, but they seem to have a lot more "home sickness" and "internal dispute" issues than men do.

Nonetheless, this flat out sucks.

Also, this is in the wrong forum.
  5. Billygator76

Billygator76 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    I've hear stories about personal issues that exist on the team.
  6. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,056
    Since we have a women's sports forum I am going to move this. Will leave the redirect up for awhile.
  7. TheGator

TheGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,658
    The women's basketball program is our only losing program. That speaks volumes.
  8. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    i can't really complain too much as i would be lying if i said i gave a damn about the women's basketball program.

i have watched the women's gymnastics team, softball, soccer, tennis and a few other women's sports. i can't watch women's basketball.

we could be ranked in the top 10 and i'd give a polite golf clap.

so, having said all that, it's hard for me to come down hard on butler or any women's basketball coach. it's feels dishonest to demand excellence and pretend to care, when i don't care. most gator fans are the same way. they are upset because it's the one sport we are not good at. we'd like to pound our chest about being good at everything and women's basketball prevents that. but, it's for show. people don't truly care.

personnally, i take a lot of pride in the fact that we suck at women's basketball and don't give a damn. it's one of the few things that still make sense to me in this fading republic.
  9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    I don't know why we're never able to get any traction with women's basketball, but it's the one program that's never seemed to really approach relevance at the national level.
  10. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    i think what i said earlier is actually a lot of the reason.

there are two women's sports that a decent amount of athletic programs care about.

basketball and softball.

the rest of them are a result of having a huge talent pool over other schools....things like swimming, golf, tennis, etc. and having the cash to just throw at the sport which results in being competive. so, florida has superior facilities, recruiting budgets, etc, for those minor sports.

but, florida doesn't have an overwhelming talent base advantage in women's basketball. florida doesn't have dramatically better facilties in women's basketball. and, a lot more programs make an honest to god effort to compete in women's basketball. so, fan apathy has a greater impact than on a sport like swimming. no one attends swim meets at any school. so, no swimmer selects a school based on fan enthusiasm.

the only way i see florida ever seriously becoming good in women's basketball is if a britney griner type comes from the state of florida and wants to stay close to home and chooses florida. then, the impact from that would have a lasting effect and result in long term success.

but, that's it.

most of the women's sports we do very well in are because we throw more cash at it than a lot of other schools and we have a lot more of a talent pool.
  11. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +219
    Well we did have a winning record this year, so I'm not sure I'd call it a "losing program".

22-15
  12. GboroGator

Ratings Received:
    +326
    Bottom 3rd of the SEC is mediocre at best, and barely beating a couple of WNIT also-rans in your 6th year isn't encouraging. Now your best player and arguably best shooter are leaving. What attendance they did manage last year probably gets cut in half.
  13. missourigator

missourigator Member

Ratings Received:
    +103
    Where are all the defenders? I been told for the last 3 years that Butler is a great coach, wait till next year, she will turn it around, etc. I have been talked names, a troll, unaware, and worst. Well, I hope they get a new coach fast so she can recruit next year,
  14. hgators

hgators Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +766
    Let's see what happens when Ronni Williams gets here, our first McD's AA I believe.
  15. number1

number1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +297
    Well I think this pretty much confirms that next season is Butler's make or break year. If she wants to remain employed as the Head Coach of Florida, she needs to:

1) Have a winning record of course. She cannot afford a losing season.

2) Finish in the Top 6 of the conference. It would be hard to keep her when she has only finished in the top portion of the conference race 1 time(2nd year). Something Carolyn Peck did 3 times.

3) Make the NCAA tournament. If she fails to make the NCAA tournament again, this would show that our program has not grown through her tenure. 2 out 7 is horrible, especially when the SEC has not been at its strongest level during her tenure. I mean even Carolyn Peck was able to take us to the tournament 3 times in 6 seasons.

I too have been saying this for the past 3 season if she needs to be on the hot seat, and I was met with all sorts of animosity. I am pretty sure all of the Amanda supporters would be in agreement with the 3 things I posted as goals for her to keep coaching at UF. After this upcoming season, she would have had 7 full seasons to build the program. There are 0 excuses for her next year. If after 7 seasons you still can't field an experienced, well-coached team, then you don't need to be the head coach at UF.
  16. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Is this even true?
  17. philnotfil

philnotfil Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +188
    Weren't all of these true while Ross was the coach? From Sophia Witherspoon and Tammy Jackson, up through Brandi McCain and Vanessa Hayden we have had some great players at UF (You cannot stop Muriel Page, EVER!). Why were we able to do that then, but not now? I would think that with the women sharing the practice facility with the men, we do have top level facilities for women's basketball.

Butler has only had one season with a winning record in the SEC, and that was five years ago.
  18. notexgator

notexgator VIP Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    MizzoGator - I am/was a defender. I agree with number1. This is her make or break year. I am sure she knows it too. I wish her good luck and hope she succeeds but if not 6 years is long enough to get the ship righted.
  19. 99gator

99gator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    according to wikipedia (i know), they have had 11 seasons with a winning conference record. no conference titles and no conference tournament titles. they've only finished 2nd in the sec twice.

while i like her a lot, carolyn peck screwed over the program something fierce.

what ross did build, peck destroyed
  20. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +259
    Agree with Bullis... Butler's program is showing no sign of improvement, and the instability in the program is an issue.

The program has been a bubble NCAA/WNIT team in Butler's tenure but it seems like the program is in the middle of a downward spiral right now. I would be surprised to see Butler back after this season.