Time for Martial Law in Fort Myers

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mdgator05, Sep 20, 2013.

1. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
  2. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    I'm surprised that we don't have the same groundswell of support for declaring martial law in the backyard of much of this board. I mean, Fort Myers has a murder rate twice that of Chicago. If Chicago is this terrifyingly violent city where you are likely to get shot, what does that make the town with twice the murder rate?

I wonder if all this discussion of Chicago is motivated by something other than concern about violence or sympathy for the victims. Something like politics, maybe. Nah, that couldn't be it. I guess people from Chicago are just more important to (primarily) Floridians. That must be it.
  3. rivergator

rivergator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,446
    After we lock down Fort Myers completely, then we're headed for Rocky Mount, NC, right guys!!!!
  4. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    You're ridin' dirty. (Thanks to wbg for reminding me of that classic on another thread.)
  5. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    The governor should immediately institute a curfew. He should call up the National Guard and adopt search and frisk policies in high crime areas. Anyone found with an illegal gun or drugs should be jailed without bond. Special courts should be set up and conduct expedited trials for drug and weapons possession. Special judges should be available to issue search warrants. Houses where known drug felons on parole live should be searched frequently and randomly. The National Guard should be deployed until the city has been swept clean of gangs. These are measures which must be taken if Ft. Myers decides to get serious about protecting law abiding citizens from mayhem and murder. Will they do it? Not as long as the conservatives are in control.
  6. Rawpimple

Rawpimple Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    Although there are bad parts to every city, if you forced me to raise my family in the worst parts of fort Myers, Florida or worst parts of Chicago, Illinois, I would not hesitate in picking Fort Myers. Keep me clear of Chicago.

The problem again is the breakdown of family and a bunch of people having a bunch of kids they cannot financially and emotionally support. Too many people making very poor choices and self destructive behavior. You can throw all the money you want at it and it isn't going to do much. Why you would want to bring a child into this world without being able to fully support them is beyond me. A lot of really bad and selfish parents out there.
  7. fastsix

fastsix Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    I doubt too many people living in the worst parts of Chicago are living there by choice.
  8. Rawpimple

Ratings Received:
    +48
    You better believe if I am a decent human being with children, I am moving my family out of that hell hole ASAP. I don't see any leaders coming to their rescue. Just horrible to have children being gunned down. When is it going to be enough?
  9. gator85jd

gator85jd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +65
    What do they have keeping them there? Are they being held there against their will?
  10. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,393
    Umm, I hope this is kidding and not just completely oblivious. When you have no extra money, and no prospects for getting any extra money, it's a little tough to just decide "you know, I think we'll move to the suburbs."
  11. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,906
    Many of our forefathers did when they left Europe and came to America. Husbands and fathers came to America, got jobs or created jobs and brought their families along.
  12. tideh8rGator

tideh8rGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +176
    I fail to see the difference between being destitute in Chicago and being destitute somewhere else. If you have nothing going for you in Chicago, then go elsewhere to a place where you MIGHT just stay alive. Being broke and safe is preferable to being broke and dead.

Conservatives believe in solutions to poverty that DO NOT include martial law and suspending the Constitution, thank you very much, fast6.
  13. gator996

gator996 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15

And what sort of opportunities were there for settlers?
    What was the process for land ownership versus today?

It amazes me the lack of historical knowledge in people who earnestly believe the stuff they post.

I'm not being overly critical w/ Oklahoma Gator, but that's a pretty big revisionist statement right there.

Do you ignore things like the GI Bill, New Deal, etc. that assisted certain parts of American society over others?

You're telling of US history is a freaking joke.
  14. GatorBen

GatorBen Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,393
    The very act of moving itself costs money. When you have no money, it's tough to do things that cost money...

Basically my point isn't that it would take bravery to leave behind dear beloved Chicago for something unknown, it's that the resources needed to undertake the very act of leaving Chicago aren't available to the people who would most need to leave.
  15. chompalot

chompalot Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +304
    Yeah, the forefathers believed, and rightfully so, that they were coming to what was called back then "the land of opportunity." Not saying they didn't have it tough but the doors were open for them in the New World.

For many of today's inner city dwellers...I don't think that the doors are quite as wide open. Lots of variables against them. To name a few, there is the demand for a high quality of education in today's society that is not often offered in many urban schools, there's the detrimental effect of growing up in poverty in a one-parent home--or maybe even being born into a gang, and then there is outright prejudice. Did't you know that the reason for white flight from the city flight from the city was to get away from the blacks. Moving away for them was much easier as the burbs were just starting ti opening up. Yes, it was fairly easy for them but it's not quite that easy for many of the folks that were left behind.
  16. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +453
    Assuming that your primary goal was to avoid being murdered, that would not be a rational decision, as you are twice as likely to be murdered in Fort Myers than in Chicago. Weather is nicer in Fort Myers, but that might also be related to why the murder rate is higher (the murder rate does typically decline in Chicago during the winter months).
  17. Emmitto

Emmitto VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +440
    Have you ever moved? Did it cost anything? Or was it the exact same amount of financial output, paperwork, and opportunity cost as your former home? Was it just a matter of changing addresses?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rawpimple

Ratings Received:
    +48
    If it was to keep my family alive and get them out of a war zone, I would sure as heck get out of there no matter what.

My family was as broke as could be and did a similar thing when I was young and took us from the Bronx to a safer new York suburb. We took what was somewhat valuable, left many things behind and got our family out of a deteriorating area. My dad worked 2 jobs at the time and eventually got a third and in a short time moved us to Florida, again on very little. there are plenty of people who move on very little money.

So please stop thinking people are helpless. People are resilient and if it is a matter of safety, especially for their young children, they can and will do anything to survive. So yes you can move on very little, people have and continue to do it all the time.
  19. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +213
    You say a little tough but I think it would be very tough. However, it isn't impossible. At some point a good parent will do everything they can to better the lives of their children even if it is very tough. The parents of the 3 year old that was shot probably weren't doing everything they could to protect their child. Having the 3 year old out at 10pm in an area where gang activity was common is evidence of that.
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,699
    mo babies = mo $$$$$$ from the gubmnt. keep em stupid get mo $$$$