Tim Tebow on Kneeling During the National Anthem

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by mulegator, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mulegator

mulegator Neanderthal Ninja Vigilante Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +13,879
    Tim Tebow said he has never knelt during the national anthem and he’s disappointed that his so-called “Tebowing’’ has been misrepresented.

“I think that’s sometimes one of the things that’s a little bit sad is sometimes people will just try to create something that had zero truth,’’ Tebow said Friday before the New York Mets’ Double-A affiliate, the Binghamton Rumble Ponies, were set to play the Trenton Thunder. “I never did anything during a national anthem but stand and support my country. And then stories can get written and they can get put out of proportion so that you believe one thing when you’re asking me a question that was nothing that was part of the truth.’’

Tebow, in his second season playing minor league baseball for the Mets, said it was important to go back to the facts about why he knelt.

“A lot of people even think it was a touchdown celebration,’’ he said. “I never did it to celebrate a touchdown. I did it from my sophomore year in high school all the way through the NFL, that before and after games I would get on a knee to thank my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ, and also put things into perspective. …

Tebow not happy 'Tebowing' part of anthem protest debate

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +13,879
    Tebow also shared his opinion about NFL players who have protested during the national anthem.

“I think when people believe in something and they stand for that, I don’t knock them for that,’’ he said. “Even if I agree with some or disagree with some, I appreciate it when people have convictions and they stand for that. I think it’s important how we do that as well. So I think there’s a lot of players that I’m friends with that have been on both sides and I understand it and I think what’s more important is to know their heart and where they’re coming from and where the conviction stands in their heart and what they really want to share.’’

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +12,803
    It’s showing disrespect for our country and the tens of thousands who have served and sacrificed for our freedom. “Standing for what you believe in” is fine - insulting and offending the very heros and their families who have made this all possible, in the process of taking your stand is not.

Only our slanted garbage media could spin kneeling in protest as some parallel to Tim Tebow kneeling in thanks to The Lord. SMH
    • Agree x 7
    • Dislike x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  4. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,183
    The parallels to Tebow kneeling are obviously inaccurate but you are being disingenuous and arguing in bad faith. The protests are not about hating on the anthem and they have nothing to do with veterans. There’s a reason many veterans support them and affirm they fought for the right for people to protest. Listen to them and read what Tebow says about it in the post right above; you could clearly learn something from both.
    • Winner x 10
    • Agree x 3
    • Disagree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +6,757
    Seems like an obvious political thread even if it is tebow/nfl related.

The issue would probably have subsided by now if not for the continued inflammatory self serving WH comments/.
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ShortBusGator

ShortBusGator All American

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Those heroes who served and sacrificed did it so that the USA could be a free country, perhaps the freest country in the world. That freedom absolutely must include things allowing supposed "unsafe" speech on today's oversensitive college campuses as well as protesting during the national anthem or even burning the flag. I think the aggressive internet mobs from both sides of the political spectrum have lost their respective minds and need to stop telling each other how to speak (or protest) and simply focus on advocating for their own ideals.
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +14,551
    I'll keep my opinion about kneeling to myself, but kudos to Tim for staying above the argument and not throwing amyone under the bus with his reply.
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +8,250
    In case you didn't know, it was "garbage media" Fox News that used pictures of Eagles players knelling to pray (not during the anthem) and ran those pictures in a piece to support Trump's "uninviting" the Eagles to the White House. Maybe that is what Tebow is talking about, because I'm unaware of any other media outlet stooping that low.

Fox News apologizes for implying Eagles players were kneeling in protest. They were praying.
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,714
    How many cops have been shot since the anti cop NFL started promoting this nonsense

All the while being protected by cops to keep them safe
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +117
    While we would like the number to be zero, killings of police officers has been declining for decades. That not a sexy narrative for the media (either side), but I digress.
  11. gatorPUNX

gatorPUNX GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +885
    A very diplomatic answer, something to be proud of. Proud of him, and proud of those who fight for what they believe in, whether religious or otherwise
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +4,514
    I’m a veteran and find it offensive when someone desecrates the flag or kneels during the national anthem. It is disrespectful. Every country has faults. None are perfect, but there is not a better country in the world in terms of treatment of citizens. I wish the NFL players would kneel on the field before the first play of the game or at any other time other than the anthem. Their message is lost on many people due to timing. I don’t even watch football as much any longer, as feel players are spoiled

It also upsets me when these posters openly lie about Tim Tebow and paint a negative picture. These unethical posters try to paint a black versus white race narrative using Tebow and speak of unequal treatment. In reality, the NFL does not like any player that creates a circus or distraction from the game. Tebow never got to play again after leading his team to the playoffs and Colin never got to play after creating a distraction from the game. Same treatment as NFL wants focus solely on the game. No sideshows allowed
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQxfQBCC8wAg&usg=AOvVaw0S5OYqIPIweuaMPBkQrwbL
  14. WarDamnGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,250
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. gatorcloud

gatorcloud VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,536
    Sorry wrong article. An article came out last week implying Tebow knelt for the Natinal Anthem as well to support an anti abortion cause.
  16. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +2,392
    Kneelers have the liberty to kneel, thanks to soldiers.
    Businesses have the liberty to have policies requiring someone to stand.
    And consumers have the liberty to support, or not, the above noted business on the basis of what their policies are.
    America, is a great place to live.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. mulegator

Ratings Received:
    +13,879
    I have a slightly different take.
    First of all, I am a U S Navy veteran, citizen, taxpayer, voter, etc.
    I'm also a Christian.
    It bothers me to see someone taking a knee during the national anthem.
    It offends me.
    What are you saying when you do that?
    That's the question isn't it?
    If you are making a statement about racial inequities, or social justice, don't ever forget that it is America, the Constitution, and my brothers and sisters in uniform, living and dead, that protect you.
    That flag, those stars and stripes, symbolize the best of America. They symbolize our freedom, our precious piece of God's green earth, family and Faith.
    So .. you've heard all that before. What is my slightly different take?
    I've had a feeling for years now that the NFL (in particular), has been grandstanding with the national anthem, the flag and American men and women in uniform.
    The NFL wants to be associated with those powerful symbols of America.
    Sometimes those NFL displays have been over the top, transparent and just a bit creepy.
    The playing of the national anthem, the flag ceremony, and military displays and associations should be special.
    They should never be used in a commercial, crass manner.
    And sometimes I feel the NFL (and others) are doing just that.
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  18. carpeveritas

carpeveritas GC Hall of Fame

Ratings Received:
    +895
    What is unclear is who pulled Mr. Tebow into this fracas about the National Anthem. I recall reports of Mr. Tebow kneeling well before any of this and being chastised for religious beliefs. So lets be clear about Mr Tebow he has nothing to do with this current debacle and those that are using him as an example of the current state of a affairs are well off the mark. Keep in mind he was chastised by the press for his religious beliefs. FSU alumni should be well versed in this little piece of history.

NYT Nov 2011
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. WarDamnGator

Ratings Received:
    +8,250
    My take is that it's pretty lame that military people act like they own the national anthem or the flag and it all revolves around them. There are plenty of other things that make America what it is, and the national anthem and flag represents all of it, good and bad. I've got not problem with someone drawing attention to the bad.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  20. mutz87

mutz87 Famishus Vulgarus VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +11,702
    They are saying there are wrongs in this country for which they silently protest. What good is the flag or our national anthem or freedom itself if the freedom one has doesn't include using the very symbols of that freedom to protest?

Personally, I find it offensive that people ignore problems in this country to try to grab the mantle of patriotism.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.