Tim Tebow commits to Alabama

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gator_n_sc, Mar 22, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    Theoretically of course, but an article on GC a couple months back about Tim's recruitment and his whole class got me thinking.

Have you ever wondered how much influence one decision by a high school kid can make on not just one university but a couple as well as many lives?

I didn't follow recruiting as closely back then as I do now so I didn't realize how close Tim was to committing to bama till I read that article. Just thinking how everything would have panned out if Tim committed to them has to many vast possibilities.

Does mike shula get fired if he in fact did land tebow. Or does he keep his job with his star QB. If he went there does bama's " dynasty" start long before 2009? Or do they never establish the dominance they have shown the past 5 years or so. If shula is never fired where does saban end up and does that school become the perennial title contender he made bama into?

A scarier thought is what would have happened to us? Do we ever win the 2 titles? Sure we already had our coach in meyer, but let's face it, Meyer was a mediocre 17-8 in the 2 seasons without tebow. Tebow wasn't a HUGE contributer during our first title run although with out a few of his jump pass and rushing touchdowns it's feasible that we lose maybe one additional game but his impact that year really had nothing to do with his performance. His commitment started a string of other high profile commits like Percy harvin who absolutely contributed to that title run. If Tebow ends up at bama do we get that momentum swing and other elite players or do they end up going elsewhere? .

It's absolutely mind boggling to contemplate, but do we win any titles with out tebow? Does tebow ever win a heisman as a sophmore and become a college football legend? Or does he flounder under mike shula ' s system?

We had another very talented option QB in 07 in cam Newton but if not for our title in 06 does he commit to us? And if so does he win a title with us and a heisman therefor affecting auburn's recent success and history.

Does meyer ever leave florida for OSU as a HOF coach if He doesn't win those titles?

So you see Tebow's decision to be a gator worked out GREAT for us and as well as bama who got saban when shula got fired after the season he didn't get tebow as well as auburn who got their heisman and title winning QB in newton ultimately because he didn't want to wait behind tim. OSU got a hot name coach in meyer since Meyers greatest success as a coach is hinged on tebow, muschamp may have been texas' s coach right now and so on.

The power and ability to influence so many lives, careers and football programs Tim Tebow had with that one decision is insane to think about but one i have been thinking theoretically about for a few days. Good thing he went with the good guys. :)

I'm interested in how y'all think everything would have unfolded if Tim made the opposite choice and chose bama? Fire away.
  2. MyakkaGator

MyakkaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,448
    I believe Cam would've came because of Meyer's system and as a great recruiter... and a chance to be a 3-year starter..enough incentive to not steal a laptop and there's still a possibility percy comes with Cam's skills. Tebow would've been successful in any offense but shula ran pro-style offense and he wouldn't have got to show his true potential vs. a spread offense where he was a BEAST!...He and meyer were like the dynamic duel together..throw in percy not leaving early and we have 3 national titles. The question that I ask If cam was our starter then who would've been the back-up?
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,448
    Here's another question: if Meyer took the Notre Dame Job, would Tebow have went to Notre Dame and if so, who would've been or coach? Petrino pre-motorcycle wreck??
  4. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    Cam may have still came depending on who wins the natty in 06. The winner always seems to get a big boost in elite recruits. Assuming OSU still makes it and wins, they had a mobile QB in Troy Smith who was doing well for himself. I could have seen cam going there. Percy is a tough one because he committed right after tebow, and who knows where he would have gone if tebow didn't come here, cam came the next year so no way percy for sees that and commits because of cam. I think we will have been alright either way but Tim did things without actually doing things, his voice and presence on a team drive his teammates to play better. He's is and was a great leader on the field.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    Did Meyer know tebow prior to his recruitment while urban was at Florida? I don't know if meyer had a open pipeline into florida prior to him becoming our coach.

I never knew Tim's choice came down to deciding the day prior to his announcement. That's pretty close, and kind of a hell of a recruiting job by shula considering how awful bama was then and how highly touted tebow was.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  6. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    I do believe tebow would only have half the accolades he accomplished while at UF had he played at bama.

But where's saban end up in all of this. He obviously wasn't staying in the NFL so does the school he goes to become the bama of today. Or does he come back from a failed nfl attempt and fall into obscurity living off his sole 2003 title?
  7. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,056
    There was never a question if he would come here. He grew up a gator fan and both parents went to UF. He idolized Danny in the nineties. (As did many of us) It could have been Ron zook, he still would have come here.

Interesting thread though. You're right, one recruit CAN make a difference; a big difference.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,448
    it wouldve sill been a great team but it's safe to say as goodas cam turned out to beour team wouldn't have had the willand heart vs. tebow at the helm. there was still incentive for cam to come to gainesville because i forgot he was recruited in 07..would've made him a 4-year starter. as far as osu goes, they were all-in for tyrele pryor and that's where pryor wanted to be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    That's what I thought till I read that article here on GC about the night prior to Tim announcing. I didn't know he had interest in bama but I didn't really follow these little knuckleheaded high school kids recruitment back then, just sparingly but nothing like I do now. Tim said he was undecided the day before but when he made his mind up he Called coach shula personally because they had established a pretty good relationship.

It worked out for the best for us. But it's hard to think of to many kids who can impact the futures of so many entities with one decision. It just adds to the mystique of timmy tebow and his ability to draw people around him in order for him to lead them
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MyakkaGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,448
    Aub
    Auburn perhaps..chizick wouldnt have had a prayer if Saban was on the market. What other jobs were open then..saban to notre dame? where else? Texas A &M? sherman would've got canned in a second if saban was on the market. what about nebraska? that would've been a perfect fit for his style of football.
  11. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +470
    Tebow would have never gone to a Catholic institution like Notre Dame, regardless of whether or not Meyer had taken the job to coach the Irish.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    Maybe Meyer would have failed and we may have gotten Saban and have 3 titles instead of 2. Who knows. What if SOS never left. Where would we be?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +29
    What if Stoops came when SOS left? Then where would we be?
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    Yeah tyrelle Pryor was highly sought after but he was the class of 2008. I forgot Brantley was also in the same class as newton. Brantley was a highly touted QB and a UF legacy so more or less a gator lock.
    With out Tim tebow( who had same skill set as cam) or a natty in 06' for the momentum it brings with recruits I'm not positive cam comes here for sure. Take tebow out of the picture and meyer two previous QB'S were Alex Smith and Chris leak, that doesn't exactly scream option running qb landing spot to me. Cam had lsu in the running so he could have easily went there to replace the #1 (albeit overrated) nfl draft pick qb jamarcus Russell who left that year. So many things could be different with one little change in Tebow's decision.
  15. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    Except I don't think urban would have been fired after 2 seasons which would have had to be done in order to get saban for the 07 season. But big game Bob is intriguing although even if urban failed with out a tebow and was fired in time for the 08 season. Stoops was setting offensive ncaa records with oklahoma. Now if we got him before or after zook who knows because I think stoops is a good coach and obviously very successful.
  16. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +2,068
    Good point his faith is probably the only thing stronger than his intensity.
  17. chunks1

chunks1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +675
    Shula would still be at Bama. Tim still would not be in the nfl and i would nt like Tim near as good as i do.
  18. bgator85

bgator85 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +243
    I just always took those quotes as him being a nice guy. I think he legitimately liked Shula, I just don't think it was really ever in doubt.
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,154
    We wouldn't have won the 2006 title without Tebow's contributions because we would have lost at least one game somewhere along the way where he pounded out a first down in a critical situation. There was so little room for error that year. Even in a limited capacity, we needed him.
  20. gatorfansrule

gatorfansrule Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +207
    Alabama missing out on Tebow was a blessing in disguise for them. If he commits to them, Shula probably doesn't get fired and they never go on the run they have gone on under Saban.
    • Agree Agree x 2