Tim Tebow buys $1.4 million home at Glen Kernan Country Club

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by GatorGrowl, Jul 14, 2014.

1. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    Yeah, and in 2000 someone googled "purchase 1975 ceiling fans" and then decided to buy a dozen of them.
  2. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    I disagree. That house in North Atlanta would probably be $2-$3 million. Probably $3-$4 million in Orlando.

Obviously, he's probably going to do some redecorating, and probably replace some dated ceiling fans and light fixtures, have the inside cleaned and painted, fix the driveway cracks and maybe add a little landscaping. Those are relatively inexpensive upgrades. But in reality, that house appears to me to need very little work. I think what makes it look worse is some of the furniture and decorating of the previous resident.

The flooring is all hardwood and tile that looks to be in good condition and up to date. The kitchen is updated as well as all the bathrooms (those are typically the big ticket upgrades). I'm not crazy about some of the interior brick and stone, but I presume he likes it and he may not be able to do much with that anyway. The only carpet I see is in the pool room, what appear to be upstairs bedrooms and the stairs.

He's probably going to have a pretty serious gym put in and he may add a private pool (or a 3rd pool table ;) ), since that neighborhood pool is a little lame for a neighborhood like that, plus he probably wants some privacy. He can surely spend a ton of money on decorating it he wants, but in my opinion, there's little he's going to need to do to have that house ready to move into.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I agree that the big ticket items are fine and that the upgrades needed are fixtures, paint, carpet on stairs and in pool room and other minor things. Like you, I am a bit turned off by the amount of brick and stone and wood coloring in the home.

For 1.4 million though, for me, I would prefer a little less square footage and perfection rather than 6,000+ square feet of ok.
  4. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    Just goes to show 1.4 mil doesn't go as far as it once did. :) jk.

Does it say how much land the house sits on?
  5. Hilldw

Hilldw Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    6,000 sq ft. seems like a lot for a bachelor. I'm not sure if he is dating anyone but maybe its a sign he is getting ready to settle down. Or maybe he could just be diversifying his portfolio, it just seems like a lot of house for one guy.
  6. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,235
    His name would be in the property tax records...
  7. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,235
    In Palm Beach, key West or Jupiter Isle, $1.4M would get you a tarpaper shack with a porta-potty...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,235
    Wanna see Derek Jeter's house?
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +565
    It's so ugly. Maybe worse than Urban's Ohio house. Nice setting though.
  10. jaxgatorjag

jaxgatorjag Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,612
    I am pretty sure that is a gated community so no concerns about the whacko's in the world. Also seems like a nice investment to me for someone that can afford such a big house.
  11. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,095
    Clearly, I've lived in Maine too long.

If I was going to drop $1.4 on a house, I'm not gonna have neighbors I can hear, needless to say, neighbors that watch me drive out of my garage.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. rawgator22

rawgator22 Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +498
    It's all a matter of personal taste. I don't know if it's true but Fla3xk says it looks a lot like his parent's house. If that's true (I don't know if it is) then it may just really feel like home to him.

I will say this, other than some of the decorating, there's not a whole lot I think is just "ok" about that house. It's a really damn nice house!

There's a lot of really nice looking woodwork on the ceilings and built-in bookcases. I'm not huge on the interior brick, but I love the woodwork.What I personally don't like is that it's plain red brick and looks cheap (just my opinion) and right now it really looks out of place. And while I don't like the brick as it appears now, with the right decor, I'm sure it could fit in nicely. But they can also do treatments to make it have a very different appearance that might look really good.

While this may currently be a bachelor pad, as others have said, he likely sees this as the house he will get married in and raise kids in. And as far as the driveway cracks, he may have already planned to pull out the concrete and put in a brick driveway anyway, so it may not really matter to him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I agree that it's all a matter of personal taste. While I might be out of touch with the Jacksonville market (and definitely out of touch with the Venice market), I think there are plenty of better (relative, I get it) homes in that price range. He is paying for the location and 6k+ square feet not necessarily for the upgrades. He could have went 1K square feet lower and gotten plenty more bells and whistles.

This is the first one I clicked on in the area (realize it is sold, but you get the point)

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...03,30.076522,-82.128983_rect/10_zm/19_p/1_rs/

or this one

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...4502,29.232485,-84.71283_rect/8_zm/20_p/1_rs/
  15. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +645
    and I would have expected a very nice media room
  16. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +82
    All those furnishings and window treatments are from previous owner. Tim will replace those with what he wants. I like that Southern Living look of the brick and gables. Good for Tim!
  17. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229
    To each his own. Not really my style, because of the brick - and I grew up in a large brick home (albeit not with THAT much brick inside). But I think that most of the things people are picking at have to do with decor that you would expect him to change.
  18. maxgator

maxgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +229

Both nice places. Completely different style and fully/ tastefully furnished. On the last one though, who wants to sit in a theater room with an undersized TV? Projection anyone??
  19. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +281
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  20. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +281

I don't mind the brick but the white mortar has got to go. Grey looks much better in my book.

Attached Files: