Tight End

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gulfgator, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    More Gideon at TE would be my suggestion...they may already be doing it. That's a guy who can catch and one the coaches definitely got right along with Showers.
  2. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +154
    I never understood this..we are talking about Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps ahead of him cause of their pass blocking??? I would see those two get bowled over in pass protection. Gilly should have been starting from his sophomore year till he graduated. That's a mistake by the coaches. And I thought I read a quote from Muschamp that he admitted he should have started his JR year.

But I don't want to shift this discussion off of TE
  3. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    With the number of packages we use, I am not certain there is even a need for a tight end

Sometimes we use as many as 7 offensive linemen. On occasion there are 3 running backs including two fullbacks and certainly we have gone with at least 4 wide receivers.

Burton, Ajabe and Showers give us a lot of flexibility. If the quality of our tight ends is substandard, why even both playing one
  4. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +158
    Since none of the TE's can apparently block, let's put a few in there who can actually catch a football thrown in their general direction. That eliminates Burton so pick pretty much anyone else!
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Rainey was a better blocker than Gillie. Gilie was terrible last year AND he was hurt earlier in his career. I actually watched that press conference where Muschamp was asked about Gillie. Muschamp basically said he had two really good RB in front of him one who was in the NFL and one was in the Olympics. He said I probably should have used him a little more but you have to remember he was nicked up etc.. Reporters had been asking him the question different ways for like 3 weeks basically begging for a quote so they could write a story around it he wasn't going to mention blocking problems etc.

Two different coaching staffs had made it clear years prior that he was struggling in pass pro and also the two guys in front of him were really good players.

Muscahmp had also pointed on in the press conferences that our line had gotten better. We could not block anyone the year prior to Gillie getting the ball. I am a big fan of Gillie but people forget how good Rainey was because of how bad the Oline was his last year. It reminds me of how some people think Tebow could really throw the football because of who he was playing with at UF.

On the TE issue none of them are good. They told us this all spring and summer. They said the one position we got worse at was TE. Muschamp continued to say he was worried about the TE position. Now people seemed shocked for some unknown reason.

This thought we should not play a TE is crazy especially with the our OL numbers getting smaller and smaller everyday. With Joyer getting healthy they should probably use Ajagbe at the TE position more.
  6. g8rfan22

g8rfan22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +571
    AJAGBE...His name is Gideon Ajagbe...
  7. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,848
    I agree with AZ.

Get Joyer and Ajagbe on the field more. They can block and they can catch the ball and do something with it.

If we get healthy enough on OL, we can do more of the jumbo sets too. Effectively C Burton is just another OL out there, so let's go with a real OL if we're going to do that.
  8. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +377
    It must be a tough transition for the UF O coaches, we went from the TE being our best target in 2012 to having effectively no TE in the game plan in 2013.
  9. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    We have all seen the same thing and so has any DC that is preparing to play us in the future.....when he is in it is essentially 10 against 11.....if you noticed in the UM game the UM LB's never even bothered to move and stayed right in the running lanes....I'm sure he's a great kid but he should be a scout team player at best.
  10. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +663
    Rainey could not block at all and neither could Demps. Also wasn't it Weis ( or another coach) that said they should have played Gillislee more? The coach pretty much admitted their mistake. Also I have doubts on many of the supposed injuries. Meyer and even Muschamp have been shady on injury reporting and even drug suspension announcements.

Gillislee was good from year 1. He always made plays. He was not one of those players that take a while to shine.
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    It was not Weis he wasnt on the team last year. I saw the press conference where Muschamp said it. Rainey was better in pass pro than Gillie. Gilie was terrible. You can have your doubt about it but they said he wasnt healthy why would they lie about a back ups injury? Some kids never pick up pass protection it doesnt seem like Gillie ever did.