Tight End

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gulfgator, Sep 8, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    or they are really young and need time
  2. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Doesnt make me scratch my head one bit. Gillie was injured and also struggled in pass protection.

They also played Showers vs Miami
  3. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Burton, brings up a point-- why are we always converting players from defense to offense or trying athletes on defense first then only putting them on "O" if they can't crack the defensive line up-- guys like Leon Orr and Showers came in as two way players does Boom just steer all the talent towards the defense and then only move them to offense if they can't crack the 2 deep-- at times its starting to feel like we're one of those mid-tier Big 12 programs which knows they can only get so many athletes so we put them all on one side of the ball.
  4. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Showers was recruited as a DB by the major programs. Orr was recruited by Meyer as a DT.

When a player isnt going to play on defense you have 3 choices. Send them to offense and see if they can help. Leave them on the scout team or process them like Saban.
  5. johnl

johnl Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +588
    Doesn't bode well for the coaches either way..
  6. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    It is a bs excuse to call two players who have been in a college weight room for a year not strong enough to block SEC DE's. Jordan Reed couldn't (and wouldn't) block for s--t and he was still in there making plays. Clay Burton right now is self checked, can't play 10 vs 11 football when we are on offense. Put one of the younger TEs in the game and watch them make a play.
  7. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    I have to agree with this......it could also be time to start looking for a new TE's coach.....
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    That is not going to happen. Like I said earlier in the thread the two player that should be starting right now left the program and were kicked off the team.
  9. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,612
    Yes. Thank you!
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Or watch them miss a block. When they are ready to play they will. It could be as early as next week or they might never play. Some of you act like the staff doesnt see these guys play in practice. The next guy in line in Thompson and he will be blocking for the most part.
  11. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    Come on man....EVERYONE IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL HAS MISSED A BLOCK!! Is Clay Burton some elite blocker who just devastates his man on every play? I think not. At this pace Clay will be our starting TE the rest of his career here, which is going to make the TE a meaningless position in our offense. I've seen plenty of backups out shine starters when they get the chance to play. Sometimes you just need that shot
  12. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Our biggest fear offensively is if teams stack the box with extra LB's or safeties and stuff our run, right ? No DC in his right mind is even gonna bother putting one of those positions on CB because he couldn't even catch a pass if they let him run wide open. Why not just put Trento Brown in there as an extra blocker then,
    Last year we started moving Reed outside because they knew he wasn't a very good blocker....at least when he lined up outside or motioned outside a safety or LB had to follow him because he could actually catch the ball and do some damage after the catch......CB not so much.
    Until we find a TE who can make the defense respect the position as something more than another blocker the running lanes are going to be stacked just like against UM.....
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Blocking is a part of the TE position especially in our offense. If you look at what Reed was doing last year he was really just playing WR since almost all of his catches were off the line of scrimmage. There is no way you believe Thompson or Taylor are better at getting open than one of our WR's.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I think the staff believe he can catch the ball. There is a little difference between Brown going for a pass and Clay. We will just have to see how the season plays out
  15. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Someone needs to give them a chance already, I can not and will not believe they are this bad in practice.

We have a 2014 recruit at TE named Lewis who is not very big for blocking he is a pure receiving TE. Now I wonder when he comes in if he does not block at all if he will ever get to play? My guess is not
  16. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,612
    It's not illegal to disagree with the coaches. Just throwin' that out there...
  17. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Not like our WR are great at getting open, might as well give one of the TE a shot.
  18. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Glad you brought that up.....the defense would also have the option to keep an extra guy in short zone or double cover our best WR with C.Burton in there, which in turn is probably leading to a lot of our red zone difficulties... UM scouted this perfectly and now other teams will follow suit.......time to start giving the other guys reps before it's too late.
  19. Tito22

Tito22 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +372
    But I'm sure they are better than CB at getting open. If we are just going to leave him into block then use another OL. I see no reason why he is in the game at this point
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Too late for what? You realize who are next 3 games are against? Muscahmp said he was the only TE that could really do both which should tell you how bad the other guys are