Tight End

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gulfgator, Sep 8, 2013.

1. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I agree with this question one billion percent. It needs to be answered and corrected ASAP.
  2. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Probably got coaching at TE for the first time in his life.
  3. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Maybe the TEs, much like Robinson, Fulwood, Taylor and Lane aren't in the circle of trust.
  4. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    What does it take to gain entrance into the circle of trust? Ability to turnover to ball at the most inopportune moments? Inability to block? Propensity towards drive killing penalties?
    I think our head coach is looking for offensive players that make it easier for the defense. Unfortunately they are the opposing defense.
  5. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Excerpt from the Gainesville Sun Feb 14th 2012:

For those who say Florida doesn't have a high-profile receiver in its 2012 recruiting class — think again

Although the Gators failed to sign a dynamic wideout, they still nabbed the nation's No. 1 tight end in Kent Taylor.

The Land O'Lakes standout was an Army All-American and his pass-catching abilities will provide a big boost for UF through the air. His father, Rob Taylor, had an 11-year pro career as an offensive tackle, including eight with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  6. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
  7. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    People asked if taylor and thompson felt threatened by each other, since they were both highly ranked and recruited. They both said no. Now they are probably both equally confused and bitter. At least they can keep each other company on the bench.
  8. Chompsuey

Chompsuey Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    I'm pretty sure boom, or any other coach for that matter, would field the best personnel possible to win a game. If they aren't playing then there has got to be a damn good reason. Would you rather play a guy that catches more passes but misses his assignment and driskel gets hurt on the play?
  9. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I disagree a coach will always play the best player. He may play the player he trusts the most, or feels deserves to play the most. Gillisslie should have been given more playing time over rainey. Rainey and demps were fast backs, but they were too small. They work great in a spread when you have Hernandez and Percy Harvin because everyone has to account for those playmakers, then you can get the ball to demps/rainey and they have one guy to outrun. When everyone is keying on them, even their speed is usually not enough, but more importantly you encounter durability issues. Remember their injuries? It looks more like the seniors are allowed to play due to some misplaced hierarchical system. Jones did not look great and was obviously not 100%. We know he had an illness and lost 15 pounds. We also saw Mack Brown do pretty decently against Toledo, and Kelvin Taylor broke free for some nice gains (OK, I know it was late in the game against a tired defense). So why be so set on bringing the debilitated guy in as the primary back? Because he is the senior guy perhaps?
    Herschel Walker was not initially used as a freshman. Once he entered the game though, you could see the talent and he became a workhorse. Barry Switzer was initially in denial about the talent of Marcus Dupree when he was a freshman even though he owned the practice field. So it is very possible for coaches to not start, or even play, the best players (who could even be freshmen).
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Guam have you seen Gilly block? So you would play a hurt Gilie who cant block over Chris Rainey?
  11. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    Gillislee NFL scouting report:

Due to his size, I was expecting to see more of a chip/cut guy in pass protection, but through his film I came to realize that he really takes pride in this aspect of his job. Despite his size, Gillislee has routinely stonewalled defenders in pass protection.

It’s very clear he knows his assignments and is more than willing to deliver a blow to much larger defenders. He displays a good base and explodes through his hips without lunging. This is easily the part of his game that shocked me the most.

In Gillislee’s junior year, he unfortunately received less carries than he did in in his sophomore year with Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps getting the majority of the workload. While Gillislee had two less carries in his 2011 season compared to 2010, he still managed a 5.9 YPC average, which put him at 328 yards on the year.

Chris Rainey NFL scouting report:
    WEAKNESSES Rainey is undersized and it shows when he tries to run inside or pass protect. He almost always looks to get outside and will go down on contact when running in the box. He is not willing nor able to block linebackers and protect the quarterback and will get overpowered at the next level. He is a strict work-in-space player at the next level and will have a hard time playing as a traditional running back.
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    that is what you saw ot something you copied and pasted? Because I watch Gillie last year and he was terrible at blocking missed assingments and he was hurt the year before
  13. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    We played demps and rainey at running back and had a 7-6 season. Our wins were against Florida Atlantic, UAB, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Furman, and then Ohio State. So I do not see it as a very successful experiment.
  14. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    that wasn't the question
  15. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    LOL, our growth involved more than starting Gilly. I would rank our defensive growth
  16. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +838
    I'd play anybody over Chris Rainey
  17. GatorDad

GatorDad New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    If 2 highly rated TE's can't get playing time having seen the TE play this year, I would have to say either our coaches just don't like them, or the coaches stink at preparing tight ends.
  18. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813
    Why couldn't you come up with a scheme where you play both Rainey and Gilly? You have to admit...as good as Gilly ran the ball last year it makes you scratch your head as to why he didn't get more carries the prior year. It seems like LSU can rotate 3 backs, Georgia plays 2, Bama always played two or three before. If you have talent it is the coaches responsibility to find a way to best utilize that talent and overcome the deficiencies each player has. It seems obvious to me that Jones and Brown are power runners straight ahead and don't have that juke or shiftiness whereas Herndon and Taylor seem to have that. You need to play at least one from each pairing to have that change of pace especially in the UM game when Jones was obviously struggling.
  19. socal_g8tr

socal_g8tr New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Agree 100% with all of your points, especially the coaching. I like Champ but player discipline appears to be an issue and it starts with him. How can he expect players to control themselves and their emotions when he clearly has trouble controling his own?

I would also add that Derek Lewis probably needs to move on.
  20. socal_g8tr

socal_g8tr New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    It's either coaching, or those two kids are rocks.