Tight End

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gulfgator, Sep 8, 2013.

1. reel_gator

reel_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    I know what I see and saw last year. Clay Burton is a liability if thrown the ball...so he is one less person for the opposing team to account for. He should never never ever be thrown the ball to again unless he improves 400% in pass catching ability.
  2. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    The argument that they can't blow SEC DE's is absurd, I don't think Clay can either. If all they are going to do is block, then use the jumbo set. Time to work in Gideon, Colin, or Kent.
  3. Swampmaster

Swampmaster New Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Is clay burton on scholarship? He's not that good
  4. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    Hmm 2 more playmakers that seem to arrive on campus and disappear

See a pattern here?
  5. AlfaGator

AlfaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +370
    2.8 yards per carry vs the Cocaines. They are blocking as well as they are catching!
  6. G8tas

G8tas Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    has he ever caught a pass?
  7. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    LoL great question. I really don't know.
  8. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Yes, he actually did catch one last week against Toledo, believe it or not we LOST 2 YARDS on the play.

Last year we got a lot of mileage when we lined up double TE then shifted Reed out to the slot. Taylor has route running and downfield receiving skills so why we can't do the same with him I'm not sure. It also helps open up the running lanes by getting either a safety or LB out of the box.

Here's some food for thought on this topic. After bringing in a new OL coach last year the players showed some improvement and we were encouraged. I honestly think they are even a little better this year. Still missing a few pieces, but overall we are headed in the right direction.

Next we hire Joker to coach the WR's and I think there is significant improvement to be seen so far. Trey Burton is actually running 10,12 and 15 yard routes and making some decent catches. Solomon Patton has caught more passes this year than his entire career, and Quinton Dunbar also seems just a little bit better than previous years. There is some young talent just waiting to get a ball or 2 thrown their way. Again, I think most would agree this seem to be going in the right direction,

Brian White and his RB's are deep and would be considered more than serviceable by any one in their right mind. After the year Gilly had last season I'm fairly confident BW can have us deep and better than average here.

Then we get to the TE's.....We bring in the number 1 and 2 TE's in 2011 and in their 2nd year they can't beat out a guy who has 1 career catch for minus 2 yards. And before anyone starts saying how good Jordan Reed was just stop !! He wasn't. He couldn't block a lick and couldn't run a clean route to save his life. He was a good athlete and boy could he jump.... I guess what I'm saying is maybe there is one coaching position that might need an upgrade...
  9. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    And the other is at Tenn State. We lost an entire recruiting class at TE with Leonard and Christian. They are both juniors (I believe), and playing well. In fact, AC won the FCS TE of the year award last year at Tenn State.

We're way off schedule at the position losing both of those guys. Not rehashing the reasons they aren't here...just saying they'd be our guys at the position this year.
  10. rburnett

rburnett Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Brutal... Forgot about AC Leonard.
  11. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Jordan Reed was at worst our second best offensive player last season.
  12. bearshark

bearshark Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    RoPo occassionally
  13. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,811
    It will be interesting to see if that experiment happens. He had great hands in high school. I remember him catching a ball in his All American game and taking it all the way for the score, or darn near the goal line from way down on the other end of the field. Showed off his hands and wheels on one play.

My guess after watching him come alive Saturday in the pass rush is he stays on D.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    I agree rburnett. They can blow other SEC DEs. Fantastic typo :)
  15. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    If anyone was willing to take one for the team, it would be a pretty good strategy to confuse them so Driskel doesn't get blind-sided.
  16. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    It would be an interesting strategy. Maybe they just start with a handy first. Just to test the waters. Going straight to the blowing just doesn't seem appropriate.
  17. Gatuar

Gatuar Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    all jokes aside....Jordan Reed had 5 catches last night for the Redskins I didn't see him leap either
  18. jareduf

jareduf Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133
    This was a huge play in the game. To me it was one of the biggest in the game. It was a 3rd and long completion to Tre for a 1st down at the 30. Instead we had a 1st down at midfield..go 3 and out. Miami gets the ball & scores a td.

Now instead of a 3-0 score (maybe even 7-0), we now trail the rest of the game. Points are on our 1st drive would have been big.
  19. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +780
    2 things. If TEs can block SEC DEs, then you need new DEs.

If your TE can't block SEC DEs, then why does your blocking scheme call for it?

I have laid off criticizing the O output for the most part, but Clay Burton is a serious liability out there. That block, which attributed NOTHING to the play, cost 15 yards of field position. It was cheap, selfish, and arrogant. And I say this from personal experience, this crap stems from the coaching staff's attitude and how it infects the team.

I think Boom is a great coach, but as the head coach, he needs to quit freaking out over every little thing. Everything can't be a big deal, else NOTHING is a big deal.
  20. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    OK, and your point is ???
    My point is that we now have what were considered the 1 & 2 TE"S out of H.S for 2 years and they are doing nothing.....Reed was drafted on his athletic ability and was only good here because of it. He couldn't block a lick, ran bad routes and played the position for 2 years. He never played it before he was here.
    We now have 2 guys who were considered the best in the country after playing the position throughout HS and we can't make them better ??? Something is missing....is it good coaching ???