Tight End

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gulfgator, Sep 8, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    What do you want to know? He is the best we got as of now. One guy that would be starting transferred and went to Louisville the other beat up his girlfriend. Maybe Muschamp should have kept the the caveman on the team so we could complete a pass to a TE.

People are begging for basically two redshirt freshmen to start at TE (I know Taylor didnt get a redshirt but he should have). Just proves what I have been saying we need more talent on offense and we need some of our young players at key positions to just get more time in the program
  2. Hill_Raiser

Hill_Raiser Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Should be ejected for crap like that. Muschamp should have sat him for rest of half at least.
  3. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    I would look to get Gideon Ajagbe more at involved at the TE position
  4. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,064
    Another conversion? WHY NOT AN ACTUAL TIGHT END? You know, like the ones we have sitting on the bench. The ones that have been doing it for years, as opposed to never.
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    1000% this! and it should have started with the Toledo game to get them experience. We might still be 1-1, but we'd be well under way to improving at TE.
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +628
    I side with you on a lot, but I just refuse to believe that. I refuse to believe we have 3 TE's on our roster earning a scholarship worse than CB. If it is indeed true, we need to free up their schollys and send them packing to Div II. A half decent true freshman TE should be able to play better. It's just atrocious.

I do absolutely agree with moving Gideon there. Not sure he can catch a 20 yd bullet over the middle, but no one else at that position apparently can either. At least he can catch some balls and doesn't lose us yards.
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,293
    Well I tend to believe Muschamp knows more about their capabilities then anybody on here. You really believe many true freshman can block SEC DE's?
  8. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,064
    What about Westbrook? Same size as Clay. He must be horrendous in practice. One thing is certain.... We will have some transfers at TE this year. (If things don't change) jmo
  9. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +523
    I also can't believe the other two TEs are worse. It's just not possible.
  10. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +510
    i tried to start to a thread about how awful burton is but it got taken down, i can't agree anymore, clay has done absolutely nothing positive in a game for the gators. his ridiculously stupid penalty wiped out a great drive and gave miami hope(as muschamp referred to in his presser) they could beat us. im not saying we lost the game because of clay burton but he should be all the way at the end of the bench, and filling up easley's gatorade bottle whenever necessary. stone hands and bad attitude, dude is a scrub from what he has shown us so far. i really hope if he gets another chance he can shut me up because i would love for that to happen, until then i have no faith in this guy
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,274
    All of this is true.
  12. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    It seems baffling how such highly ranked tight ends coming out of high school (Kent Taylor, Colin Thompson) are not ready to contribute. Vernon Hargreaves was also highly ranked and he is playing. Is the recruiting system flawed? Is the development system flawed (coaching)? Is this just the normal course?
  13. Spleezy

Spleezy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Do you really want RS Freshmen blocking SEC rush ends?? I know his name is mud around here but Arron Hernandez didn't blow up until his junior year and he was an absolute stud. Like AZ said earlier transfers, the NFL draft, and kids getting kicked of the team have left us very young at that position.
  14. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    We have a true freshman playing corner back against SEC Receivers. And he seems to doing pretty well. If the highly ranked TEs were able to come in and produce it would not necessarily be a surprise.
  15. Spleezy

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Besides CB and TE being two different positions and requiring different skill sets and responsibilities, it would make sense that if a freshman was ready Muschamp would play him. Humphries played at LT as a freshman, Robinson and Fulwood at WR, VHIII at CB, Fowler and Bullard at DE, Morrison at LB etc. If they were ready Muschamp's history shows he has no problem playing freshmen....they obviously must not be ready.
  16. GuamGator

GuamGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    That is the frustrating issue. Being so highly ranked coming out of high school, the expectation is they should be ready by now. And even if they only excel in some aspects it may be better to use them than not. If we had players who were producing on offense now at tight end it would be a non issue. But we are hurting and the expectations we have for taylor and thompson are not being fulfilled.
  17. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +83
    Ron Zook should have stayed forever because coaches know better and go 100-0 and never get fired. Don't care if the others can't block, they cannot block any worse than he catches and that's part of the job description too
  18. Spleezy

Ratings Received:
    +68
    No you're wrong, we should let fans tweet in the plays, substitutions, and adjustments to go 100-0. Coaches should also consult message boards for suspension and recruiting advice........
  19. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +473
    My only question, is why we were told that players were really making progress at TE over the summer? It just don't get why it's necessary to talk about two-TE sets, all the progress they've made, yada yada....and all we've seen is Clay Burton. I was under the impression that Thompson came here more refined as a blocker than a pass-catching TE.

And Burton should've been ejected for that PF. That was a stupid penalty. And it was dirty. You know, this is Muschamp's third year and I've seen no progress made in becoming a more disciplined team. His teams are simply out of control at times.

I think he'll be a great coach. Whether it's in Gainesville or not I don't know, but his teams have got to start playing a more disciplined brand of football. Period. You cannot win games at a high level in this conference, with the style of ball he wants to play, when your team can't control itself. His product looked like ass in the red zone last Saturday.
  20. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Honestly with our current TEs why not just put in an extra tackle instead, every once in a while he can go out and pretend to run pass routes.