"Throw early, often"

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by Colin, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Colin

Colin Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +248 / 23 / -7
    From the Sporting News: "... it's time to let Driskel throw on first down (consistently), instead of setting him up to fail with third-and-long situations where he's forced to make a play when the defense knows a pass is coming."

I agree that we should throw more on first down. I thought the pass protection against Miami was pretty good.
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    Colin, Jeff had 8 pass plays on the first drive of the game. He had 16 pass plays in 33 first down plays, a percentage of 48%. What would you expect a run-dominant team to average?
  3. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +780 / 48 / -13
  4. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,687 / 108 / -27
    Yeah I think last week was the most we've thrown in first down since 2008 or something.
  5. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117 / 66 / -15
    Yet another sports writer fails to do his homework. But it "seems" like we don't through enough on first down...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. geauxgator1

geauxgator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,313 / 14 / -5
    ... it's time to let Driskel throw on first down (consistently), instead of setting him up to fail with third-and-long situations where he's forced to make a play when the defense knows a pass is coming."

Charlie Strong says he agrees with that offensive philosophy.
  7. g8tr96

g8tr96 Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +675 / 7 / -1

I agree 100%

It would be a moot point if we converted in the RZ and put points on the board. Throwing on first down is my least concern going forward.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Staff Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 13 / -1
    He must read our message boards and figured some posters were right on
    • Like Like x 3
  9. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +488 / 67 / -18
    I think a lot of passes were thrown in the last 5 minutes that kind of skewed the stats.
    I so agree, it's not a good thing to put JD in a third and long. Frankly, if that's the case, run it or go for fg. But play action on first down should result in good yardage.

Again, I'm not crazy about BP calls last week how many times do you run up the middle for little game yet we did it again and again. In the second half we wasted good field position because BP wanted to force runs up the middle until it became third and long.
  10. MaceoP

MaceoP Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +113 / 11 / -1
    Until JD can demonstrate he can perform under pressure, and not turn the ball over, I would stick to the run. Seems to me JD isn't ready to carry a team on his back with the passing game. Just my opinion.
  11. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,851 / 66 / -30
    We threw early in the Louisville game and we all saw what happened there. Skip the out pattern while we're at it. Those require pinpoint accuracy that most QB's don't start a game with. A bomb is a better choice to start with... Adrenaline.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117 / 66 / -15
    You know, I am not as pessimistic about him. I think he has played very well outside of a couple of missed throws in the redzone (including the one to Dunbar in the first game). He is completing 70% of his passes at 8 ypa and he hasn't taken any real bad sacks (at least in the sense of being sacked because of his indecisiveness, which was probably the result of about 2/3 last year). I think he is fine back there, but I would like to see him run more. He is so dangerous in that phase and most of his big plays for us have come on the ground.
  13. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439 / 50 / -19
    i think most of you guys are asking for big problems by wanting to throw "early and often". theres no way i want to see us air it out 30x's again! everytime the gators come out to throw the ball it just turns into disaster(UGA,LOU,MIA) and then we all say..."well if he didn't turn it over" but he does turn it over; early and often. i hope we run the ball 80%:20% . i want driskel making as few decisions as possible. i think my opinion here is the only one that makes sense. i just don't see how anyone can justify having JD coming out throwing the ball all over the field, it spells disaster.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117 / 66 / -15
    You and everyone else. You and everyone else.
  15. jaxgator1991

jaxgator1991 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +439 / 50 / -19
    lol, i respect that. probably shouldn't have phrased it like that, does sound ignorant my bad. i just feel based on what we'v seen in the past that throwing more does not lead to more offensive production for us.
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572 / 182 / -90
    I would run the football with Jones and Showers.
  17. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    1st and 10 at FLA 40 Jeff Driskel pass complete to Trey Burton for 6 yards to the Fla 46. 9 21
    2nd and 4 at FLA 46 Jeff Driskel pass complete to Matt Jones for 1 yard to the Fla 47.
    3rd and 3 at FLA 47 Jeff Driskel pass complete to Quinton Dunbar for 32 yards to the MiaFl 21 for a 1ST down.
    1st and 10 at MIA 21 Jeff Driskel pass complete to Solomon Patton for 21 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 15 21
    1st and Goal at MIA 3 FLORIDA penalty 5 yard Substitution Infraction accepted.
    Austin Hardin extra point GOOD. 16 21
    Austin Hardin on-side kick recovered by MIAMI FL at the 50 yard line.
    DRIVE TOTALS: FLORIDA drive: 4 plays 60 yards, 01:21 FLORIDA TD

60 yards passing vs the prevent D at the end of the game does skew the stats a little.

IMHO, JD still has a lot to prove. Still some things missing. He's only a junior though.
  18. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +92 / 18 / -2
    Colin, I have to tell you, you are not going to get any help on this board. The Gator Mafia will tell you, to pass on first down is against a running team's style. I am like you, throw early on first down, don't abandon the run, but don't get down early to teams you should take to the woodshed. You have to take a some chances in football on offense even with a run team. Heck wasn't the first drive a fumble on a run?

Seems like with a running style team there are too many chances to let weaker teams stay in games. Fumbles, forcing passes into blitzing defenses on 3rd down, fourth down QB sneaks into stacked defenses, going for two after a td because it seems the other team is running away with the game. These type of mistakes always leave a bad taste in your mouth. Our offensive percentage mix was about right, but not calling the right play at the critical times killed our chance for a victory last week.

You are asking for a better mix of run/pass early in the game. I am for that. I think Brent knows that and will try to have a better mix before the game gets away, but Boom might tell him we are going to test the freshman DL of Tenn. Hopefully playing in the swamp, the guys will be giving their all and don't want to be 1-2, this wiil probably work. But if it doesn't, you can come back here and testify! LOL
  19. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Lord, if we start 1-2 this place would Three Mile Island.

No way that happens though.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117 / 66 / -15
    As I said in the other thread, to me it isn't throwing more so much as it is being behind and abandoning balance. Those three games you mentioned were all very different offensively and I don't see the connection in terms of game plan.