Three Point Shooting

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by themistocles, Nov 5, 2013.

1. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Versus Florida Southern the Gators shot 5 of 25 from the 3-point line, that is 20%.

Among the possible 3-point contributors who are utterly unproven, Hill, Walker and Graham, they shot a total of 1 of 12. Walker was 1 of 5, Graham 0 of 4 and Hill 0 of 3.

Carter was 1 of 3, Billy Jr 1 of 2, and, as I noted, Walker, 1 of 5.

Until Wilbekin and Frazier get back on the court, it looks like the Gators are not going to be a very good 3-point shooting team. Finney-Smith might also possibly contribute here.
  2. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Donovan has already said that we won't be as good at the 3 as last season. He also said he's told Frasier to take more shots.

The 3 is a concern, but I'm confident that rebounding and more 2-point threats will make up the difference.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    We don't have many elite shooters on this team, but we won't he bad from the arc. We have enough average to above-average shooters (Frazier, Wilbekin, Carter, Finney-Smith, Hill) that if we run our offense, we should be decent. I suspect we will get a ton more open looks because of teams collapsing the paint against Hill or in transition because of the ability of our bigs to get out and run
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +269
    I believe that Carter was 3 for 9. Carter is playing on one leg. Can he get back to 100%? If so, he will be a star. He is a tremendously talented player.
  5. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Personally, I've felt like we've relied on the 3 too much at times in the past. If we aren't as proficient this year, I look forward to seeing how Billy adjusts.
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,239
    The Gators seem to have either had balanced inside/outside shooting, or have been reliant upon the three. It's a big part of Billy's offensive philosophy and when we have the shooters complimented by those who can occupy space and kick out, it's been beneficial. One of those things I've come to accept/enjoy in Billy ball.
  7. hoopstar

hoopstar VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    All this & we scored 110 pts! And only 4 players that started 100% healthy. 1 of the starters has a strained groin!
  8. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Good points all.

I think that rserina made a very important one regarding having several decent 3-point shooters, assuming that Hill can hit it.

Frazier may possibly be an elite 3-point shooter, but it may be a long time before we learn whether he will hth a similar percentage as last year when opponents were concerned with Murphy, Boynton and Rosaria. Of course, Boynton and Rosario took quite a few 3-point shots (Boynton took 221 3-pointers and hit 71 for 32%; Rosario took 165 and hit 61 for 37%, and Murphy took 159 and hit 72 for 45%, meanwhile, Frazier took 111 and hit 52 for 46.8% while Wilbekin took 103 and hit 37 for 35.9%).

Of course, with 3-pointers hitting 33% is like hitting 50% from 2-point land, so all of them were above 50% except Boynton.

Actually, the guy who should be shooting 3-pointers is Jake Kurtz. He may be the only player in history who hit 100% of his 3-point shots for a complete season. He was 1 for 1.
  9. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +573
    Our two national champion teams had the balance. Humphrey, Green, and Brewer could kill you from the outside. If you tried to take away the 3, Noah, Horfy, and Brewer (and Cliff Richardson) would kill you on the inside. If the outside guys missed, those inside guys would grab the rebound and either dunk it, or fire it back out where Humphrey has managed to get open for another shot. As Brewer said, "Pick your poison."

This year's squad is similar, and probably deeper. If Frasier can be our Humphrey, and Hill our Green, we should be fine. I don't see two guys as good as Horfy or Noah inside, but Young, Yeguete, Finney-Smith, Harris, and Chris Walker should be able to get it done by committee.
  10. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I wouldn't expect many teams to shoot well without their best two shooters. Our shooting should get much better when we get Frazier and Wilbekin back.
  11. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    How could you forget about Joakim Noah?! :no:
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    To these two points, one thing I've always tracked under Donovan is the relative success when we have two post players scoring in double digits versus one. In Donovan's now 17 seasons, we've only had one post players score in double digits seven times. In those seven years, we missed the tournament four times, only had two top-four seeds (2005, 2012) and once advanced into the second weekend. Conversely, in the ten seasons with two double digit post scorers, we have have made the tourney ever time, had four top-four seeds, and advanced to the second weekend or beyond six times.

That is a pretty telling statistic. As much as weuse the three pointer because, as Donovan likes to say, it is the great equalizer in college basketball, our entire offense is predicated on using the spacing created by perimeter shots to get easy baskets in the paint from our bigs, either off pick and rolls or post ups, or to get open looks for our bigs on pick and pops. We are never quite as reliant on threes as it seems.
  13. themistocles

Ratings Received:
    +360

Wow, rserina, a really telling statistic as you note.

This year's team, if C. Walker ever becomes eligible and everyone remains healthy, has probably more depth up front than any previous Gator team, but I'm not sure if many of those are consistent double digit scorers are not. Certain scoring is none of Young's nor Yeguete's nor Prather's forte, although perhaps DFS or C. Walker might possibly be able to put the ball in the basket with some consistency.

Perhaps this year's team may be a scoring by group team both in the front court and the backcourt, or perhaps not.

How very interesting.
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +570
    And when we had three of those guys, Horford, Noah, Richard, we won two titles.
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    Richard never averaged double figures, but he easily could have the way he played the second half of his senior year. He was outstanding.
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,696
    Good point. I have the same question. Young should easily get to the mark, but I am not sure what to make of everyone else. Yeguete will never be a consistent double-digit scorer, while neither Harris nor Prather should get enough minutes in the post to put up the numbers. Walker could easily get to the mark, but there is a huge question as to whether or not he will be eligible and how far behind he will be to get into any kind of a groove. Finney-Smith is the real wild card. Donovan has talked mostly about him playing the four thus far, in part because injuries have depleted our depth there. But his spot up shooting, ability to finish, and ballhandling in the open court or out of the high post would all make him deadly offensively.

Very, very odd year, without question, from the composition of the team to the current roster instability, to the genuine unpredictability of where our scoring will come from.
  17. channingcrowderhungry

Ratings Received:
    +570
    Absolutely. He would of averaged double figures if he started on any other team. He just happened to be behind two future NBA stars. But your point still remains the same.